Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #1

instrument cluster reset shaft

Okay Guys and Gals

After searching the web, junkyards and dealers for clock/odometer a reset post or shaft for my 2002 Boxster cluster and having no luck!!

I found a local guy who owns a company that manufacture's prototype parts for other companies. He used the one original reset post/ shaft I had and made a couple of new ones, there PERFECT!!!! and I can't believe how good they look. There made from a material a little more flexable than the original, and as the guy explained should be less brittle and less prone to breaking.

Before I install the reset post I'll take a picture and post it

So here's the PITCH he wants to sell some to recover his mold and setup cost and possibly make a few bucks. Yes he is a friend and he did me a favor and now its my turn.

Cost: $25.00 for 1 or $45.00 for 2 shipping included anywhere in the US. or Canada.

If I can get an idea in the level of interest it would be great!!!

By the way his idea of a few is in the hundreds but he doesn't expect than kind of response

brian2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

Usually what breaks is the plastic bit, not the metal part that sticks out from the cluster.

I'm thinking you wouldn't have a lot of takers on orders placed for them, but if I were you, I'd buy three or four additional sets and list them on eBay... that pond is a LOT bigger than this forum and you could make some money at it.

You can't be the only boxster owner out there with the same issue... I have my old cluster in my garage and will use the knobs or stems from it if necessary should I ever abuse mine or see it fall apart due to age or heat or whatever.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

The plastic stems that break are 100% plastic. This usually happens when you hit the knob on the end of the stem with a cleaning cloth, and the stem snaps.

Randall has a dinosaur 1997. 986 1997-2000 has metal stems.

The 996 market is 2002-2004, but the 2001 turbo also had plastic stems.

Every few months on the message boards someone says they broke the stem. Then someone gives them a part number for what is actually the knob. Porsche does not sell the stem, just the knob. There is a market, but it is very small.

Post your pictures. I might be interested in one. I would have to use it as a tooth pick since I have a 1997.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #4

Cluster shafts

TOOL PANTS is correct the shafts in the picture are the ones used in my 2002 Boxster as far as other years or models they might fit I will go with TOOL PANTS and his wisdom.
I couldn't find anything in the market place less than buying a used cluster and scraping it and a cheap cluster is hard to find.

I just installed two in my cluster and they fit like OEM shafts, the only difference I can see between the Porsche original shaft and the replacement is the replacement has some flex. Chuck the guy who made the new shafts said the stock shaft was brittle and had no flex that's why they brake.

Chuck gave me two replacements shafts for free and did all the setup and mold work for free so this is my return favor, I'll let him know about ebay!!!

I'll try to post one of his shafts and the original today and challange you guys to tell the difference.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #5

cluster

Okay my picture is to big and it won't let me post what do I do!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #6

I could use one of these, any idea when they will be ready?
Flawless Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #7

Picture too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2034
Okay my picture is to big and it won't let me post what do I do!!!
Load the picture into the Paint program if you are using a PC.
Then pull down the "Image" menu, Stretch/Skew. Enter a value less than 100% for the Horizontal and Vertical boxes and then save the picture out with a different name/title. Then attach that one to your post and preview to see if it will fit.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

Thanks spinnaker here is the picture of an OEM shaft and the aftermarket shaft. They are available for sale now, anyone interested can email me at brianp@nfld.com
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #9

Sorry guys the picture is a little large, but you get the idea!!

If the site moderator wants to shrink the picture or delete it, I will send a smaller one.

I installed a second set today 40 minutes start to finish, fit great and worked perfect.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #10

Smile

I need 2 ASAP, How can I order them from your friend?
thanks
CESONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2034
TOOL PANTS is correct the shafts in the picture are the ones used in my 2002 Boxster as far as other years or models they might fit I will go with TOOL PANTS and his wisdom.
I couldn't find anything in the market place less than buying a used cluster and scraping it and a cheap cluster is hard to find.

I just installed two in my cluster and they fit like OEM shafts, the only difference I can see between the Porsche original shaft and the replacement is the replacement has some flex. Chuck the guy who made the new shafts said the stock shaft was brittle and had no flex that's why they brake.

Chuck gave me two replacements shafts for free and did all the setup and mold work for free so this is my return favor, I'll let him know about ebay!!!

I'll try to post one of his shafts and the original today and challange you guys to tell the difference.
\

How can I buy 2 of them?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #12

Hi CESONI,

Sorry I didn't check the site for the last week or so, I just sent you an email.

The cluster shafts are selling from just this site I havn't posted anywhere else.

Anyone who purchased the shafts Please post any feedback when you get them installed!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #13

Garage
Brian2034,

Hey bro I see your e-mail address is brianp@nfld.com. Are you in Newfoundland? I was born at Goose AB, Happy Valley.

Anyway the real reason for the post, can your friend also make the plastic end pieces for the convertible top push rod? Porsche will not sell that screw on plastic socket piece; they only sell the whole arm itself for $75 USD. A local Porsche salvage yard will sell the whole arm plus the stainless ball and adjuster that goes on the motor itself for $50. They told me they always sell out of 'em. Looking for a market? I say make those end pieces and you'll find one.

I'm first in line!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #14

Your right on, i'm in Newfoundland Canada where are you located.
I'll have a look at the plastic fitting on my 2002 top, do you know if there the same on all years.

Toolpants???
Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #15

Garage
I'm in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. About the plastic end piece, I don't know but I would bet that Porsche hasn't changed the the overall mechanics of the top. It's possible that other model Porsche's have a similar operation with like parts. You can't go by part numbers because the arm might be different but the plastic end may be the same.

Any help on this will help us all when we need to replace the weak link in our convertibles.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #16

Thumbs up happy man

thank you, Brian, the stems are perfect and it took only 30' to install them. I even did it while playing with my 5 years old son. It's so nice to drive and not have that missing piece bother me like it did before. you should patent those stems.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #17

Help! broken cluster clock shaft

I broke the shaft. How can I get new ones and is there installation instructions.
shirazmxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazmxd
I broke the shaft. How can I get new ones and is there installation instructions.
Maybe this thread will help..

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8506&st=0&p=41711&#entry41711

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote