Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

2002 Boxster Opinions

I found what looks like a good candidate for my first Porsche. It is a 2002 base with 38k miles. It is the right color, tires are new Pzero's, no obvious leaks or damage. Paint, top and interior are excellent. A few nicks on the one of the back wheels and probably only 1 key, books, windstop and mats are present. No records but I called the dealership that the Carfax said did the service and they faxed me the records. Looks like oil/filter changes every 5k miles. A new clutch at 23k, otherwise, just little things like peeling emblems and shift knobs. The independent dealer is asking $23k. Assuming PPI checks out, I was thinking of offering around 20k. Does that sound about right for SoCal. It looks like it has been on the lot for a month or so.

Thanks
Len

Len A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #2

Another factor to consider are the options it has. Take a look under the hood there should be a white Porsche tag about the size of a business card and on it will list several 3 digit codes the go to this site http://www.kindel.com/Porsche/options.asp it will tell you what the factory option codes are the you can go to kbb.com and see what blue book value is. That way you can get an idea what that car is worth and negotiate from there.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #3

similar purchase a year ago...

Len A,
I bought a base 02 (lapis metallic with gray interior) with 37K last february and have been driving the heck out of mine. It came from a private owner, a few nicks on the wheels and on the front bumper, a couple of minor door dings. I was planning to use it as a daily driver so a few spots were no big deal for me- not a garage queen. I got the records from the dealer and had them check it out- nice and clean so I bought it the next day. I paid 23K for mine and it had windstop and inserts, manual, 2 keys, floormats and at the closing I found out it has the sport package- bonus for me. Big selling point for me was a warranty to 100K or until next October so I am feeling good about the purchase. The warranty was a $3600.00 cost initially.

For what you are getting, a 45K car when new, with limited miles, I think you are in the right range. definitely find out what options it has and do the KBB.COM look up for fair market value. There are a lot of Boxsters out there so be sure it has what you want. 02's have the plastic rear window- you might want to look for a slightly newer one with glass?
Ultimately, when you drive the car you will be sold. I have enjoyed mine almost every day and put 30K miles on it so far. Had to buy a few tires, installed an ipod adapter, and last weekend i cleaned my MAF for the first time- really easy.

Good luck.
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #4

Thanks, I ran the mileage and options as best I know them through KBB, Edmunds and NADA. Prices all came out $25k for KBB, $21.5k Edmunds and $21.6 NADA. So the price they are asking seems to be in the ballpark. Tag on the front hood is unreadable so cannot confirm options. Does have CD player and Memory front seats. I thought about an '03, they seem to be running about $24k or so. If I find a nice one I might spring for the extra $2-$3k

Thanks

Len
Len A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #5

find the right ride!

I really don't think the year of your boxster will be that big of an issue since it's your first purchase and these cars are just amazing and fun and in my opinion a great investment. I'd recommend you make sure the one you ultimately decide on has the right wear, and the right options and the right color combination for you. I found the windstop is very helpful since i drop the top about 50% of the time or more. I am glad to also have the hi fi sound system since i do like music sometimes, the warranty was a big plus for me and sealed the deal. Subtle changes over the years are sometimes hard to pick out so an 01 or 02, or 00 will not be discernible to non-porschephiles. good luck in your search.
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #6

PZeros with rubber are a definite plus. They'll run you $1500+ for a set (really).

I recommend the windstops, litronics and PSM as the most desirable options. Litronics are Porsche's Xenon headlights and they also don't have the yellow (amber) which cleans up the look. I think they became standard in the second half of the '02 model year. PSM is stability control.

The thing about buying a Boxster is that if you look hard, you'll find a better one. I bought an '02 S fully loaded with 11K miles for less than that. And we weren't even in a recession at the time.

What if you got an '03 or newer? You get a bunch of minor improvements in '03, but you also get a GLASS rear window. That is priceless (trust me).

Is your deal "in the ballpark", probably. Are you better served to look more, do more research and buy the newest best car you can find with all the right options and less miles? Probably.

Good luck -- and either way buy the Boxster. Its a great car.

Last edited by fatmike; 05-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #7

The price is within a fair range if the car is immaculate, imo. I bought an '02 S, Seal gray/Black one owner South Bay car in July '07. had 19" black Veloces (?), de-snorkeled, pagid, bras, new mats, windstop, sport package, crests, etc. for $24k. I paid a few grand more, but the car was a 35k miles beauty. Prior owner was PCA. I wanted the plastic window (call me old school or crazy), didn't want the rear diffuser of the '03, and I am a proud member of the Amber Army (if everyone else is going clear, then I'll stay OEM). I did add a Schnell Short Shift Kit, and highly recommend it. It is enjoying life as a daily driver and now has 49k.

See ya on the 405, or better yet see you at the "Topless at the Beach" Porsche concourse in Huntington Beach May 30-31, June 1 ( I'm not affiliated with the dealio, but will be there).

Last edited by HB986; 05-10-2008 at 05:09 PM.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 AM   #8

My New (used) 2002

I bought a 2002 (triple Black) basic Boxster (63k miles) the Saturday before Memorial Day. Found it after a long search using AutoTrader and Cars.com, plus a lot of leg work. The acid test was driving it home from the dearlership. 6 hour drive right off the lot to my home in Newport KY. It ran flawlessly. What really amazed me was the high end torque. I could be in 5th stuck behind a semi and with a push of the accelerator that semi would be a speck in my rear view mirror. No down shift necessary.

Speaking of semis looking up at them can be a little intimidating at first. Heck I have to look up to Yorkshire Terriers.

So far no buyers remorse. I love my Boxster
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #9

I would definitely try to find an 03'+ due to the glass window and the "deambered" lights. I have an 02' S and the only thing I wish I had was the glass window and the lights. I have replaced the lights and anticipate changing the top to a glass window.

When you drive the vehicle make sure you pay special attention for the shift from 1st to 2nd (should be smooth as silk). I experienced this problem (difficult to shift) and have read about others. It ended up requiring a new transmission. Not a big deal if you have a warranty but something to look for during your test drive.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

+1 on the 03-up due to the glass window top, well, more importantly, the FACTORY glass top (which has 4 spars not 3). The lights are an easy change, and you can get an aftermarket glass top (which I probably will soon), but it still has to use the 3 spar top, so the window is smaller since it can't fold in half like the plastic did.

As always, buy the best car you can afford.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote