Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #1

No boxster in sight!?!

For the past 2 years I've seen less Porsche or top end cars on the road. I work in Wallstreet and 5 years ago garages were filled with expensive cars. I mean 4-6 porsches, benz, bmw and even a Ferrari. Now its just a bunch of ordinary cars.
The market is going up, the fed is fueling our economy and lowered the interest rates.
Perhaps, the sports car market bubble burst?

porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #2

the opposite is happening here in des moines, iowa. 5 years ago, it was uncommon to see a porsche or a high end merc or bmw. now i routinely see aston martins, bentleys, ferraris, etc. just in the past few days ive seen 3 aston db9s, a ferrari testarossa, a bentley gt, a viper, several porsche turbos and even a mosler mt900. des moines is not a wealthy city nor does it have wealthy suburbs but exotic cars seem to be a growing trend here.
jdub2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Around southern Virginia I get excited when I see another boxster or Porsche, cause it's a rather rare sight. Here it's mostly big SUVs and pickup trucks. When I go to the gym people often ask me "Hey, how do you like your Miata"? I tell them it's a boxster and they ask "Who makes that, Pontiac" ? I just grin and tell them Porsche. The conversion usually stops there. Only because people around here aren't familiar with Porsche. Love my car, lol.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

If one drives around upper Kirby (a wealthy shopping area near River Oaks, the oldest $2M+ neighborhood in central Houston), it is very common to see new M5's, M6's, 997TT's, Maserati quattroportes, S Class MB's, the occasional Bentley or Ferrari... you name it.

It might be that the Wall Street Boys have beaters that they use in winter.

Down here where it's summer most of the year and it never snows, there's a ton of exotic European cars on the road as long as you're looking for them in the right part of town.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-01-2008 at 01:54 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2348
the opposite is happening here in des moines, iowa. 5 years ago, it was uncommon to see a porsche or a high end merc or bmw. now i routinely see aston martins, bentleys, ferraris, etc. just in the past few days ive seen 3 aston db9s, a ferrari testarossa, a bentley gt, a viper, several porsche turbos and even a mosler mt900. des moines is not a wealthy city nor does it have wealthy suburbs but exotic cars seem to be a growing trend here.
Jdub, it's all that fine Iowa corn you are growing over there! Your farmers are making a killing. Now they drive a Ferrari with the green "John Deer" hat!

There are 2 Porsche dealerships in the state of Iowa. Some states have zippo.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #6

I spent about a week in Beverly Hills....boxsters and 911's are about as common as a honda civic in chicago.....by the end of my trip I was fairly numb to them
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
In my NYC garage (I live on the upper west side), there are 5 other Porsches besides mine (and mine is the only Boxster)...rest are 996 and 997s, along with a host of BMW, Range Rovers, Jags and Benzes....even a couple Rolls Royces. Parking is $560/month and there's still a waiting list to get a spot in the garage, so I'd say people aren't really suffering here.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
There are 2 Porsche dealerships in the state of Iowa. Some states have zippo.
the porsche dealership here in des moines is a terrible excuse for a dealership. its linked with the pontiac and subaru dealerships and they never have more than 3 or 4 porsches in stock. they have a bunch of cayennes, but those dont count.
jdub2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I see a lot more Mercedes and SUVs here, but New Orleans is full of potholes and bad roads and heavy traffic, so a lot of people probably don't want to be bothered with a Porsche. I still do see quite a few Porsches though. Not long ago while I was going up to the 7th floor to park in a garage I had a Cayman right behind me who turned off and parked and then was replaced by a 911. They aren't common around here like in Beverly Hills or Miami, but I definitely see them. I would think there would be more on Wall Street, but maybe a lot of people there don't drive to work. I know in Philadelphia my friend's parents live right in the city and don't even have a car there. Her dad either walks or takes the public transit to work.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2348

Dude, I must live in the hood of DSM because I dont see these cars. I admit I saw a maserati outside my building a week or so ago and I have seen an aston running around. Honestly I have seen more Smart Cars than exotics lately.......
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Dude, I must live in the hood of DSM because I dont see these cars. I admit I saw a maserati outside my building a week or so ago and I have seen an aston running around. Honestly I have seen more Smart Cars than exotics lately.......
I agree its total BS..This kid on drugs... exotics in Iowa!?... This is what they drive in Iowa:

porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote