Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #21

Garage
Had my back plastic replaced about a year ago at a dedicated convertible top shop, they charged me 450.00. I was very disappointed with the results. So I'm sharing my story to maybe give you some other insight. I was under the impression that they were going to remove the old plastic and replace with a new one. What they
did do was, sew in a new "clear" plastic under the old plastic and then cut out the old window. What was left was a frame of a very jagged edge of the old plastic layered over the new plastic. It stuck out of as much as 1/2 an inch in some places,
they said they had to do it that way to prevent wrinkles in the new plastic. Also it
was not watertight. The first gentle rain we had, the water soaked right into my
carpet above the engine. After complaining to the owner, he said that If I came back in, he would look at it and possibly refund half the money. I didn't even bother to go back in. So what I did was get out my old trusty xacto knife and trim the old plastic edge all the way down to the canvas, then I sealed it with some black RTV, It looks 100 times better and now there are no leaks. I will try to post some pics when i get a chance. Also found out later that they even used the wrong plastic. There is a green tinted plastic that should be used on all Porsches. I am going to replace it with a glass window top when the canvas wears out, although I heard that the dealer might charge extra to do any maintenance where the glass top will get in the way because they cant fold it. Good luck!!

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansaplastique
Already found one of the answers I was looking for;

"German canvas is made of a polyester blend, and the American canvas is made of a cotton blend. That is the biggest difference. As far as quality, BMW tested the American canvas for years for fading and quality, and determined that the American canvas held up to the German canvas the same. They started to use the American canvas in 1994, and continue to do so."

Also the glass window is smaller;

"The glass window is smaller than the original plastic window, so that it will fold properly."

Oh and the do not support DIY installation - it will void warranty ...
German canvas is cotton American is polyester!!!!!

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote