Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #1

Side Skirt Opinions

Didn't want to jack the other thread. I like the look of sideskirts, but I'm afraid to keep adding stuff to my car. At what point does it become too much? Will the skirts add to or detract from the car? I don't want to look like I belong at NOPI. Opinions, please.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
You should put a poll on this thread.

I vote SKIRT IT!
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Grizzly,

My opinion would be the mods you have done to your car are simple and tasteful. I really like the full areo kit on a 996 or 997, but it somehow gets a little "overdone" on a Boxster. If you add the sideskirts, then a different front bumper cover is required, then the rear looks out of place; you add a big wing and on and on...

Sometimes simple is a good thing.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Grizzly,

My opinion would be the mods you have done to your car are simple and tasteful. I really like the full areo kit on a 996 or 997, but it somehow gets a little "overdone" on a Boxster. If you add the sideskirts, then a different front bumper cover is required, then the rear looks out of place; you add a big wing and on and on...

Sometimes simple is a good thing.
I agree with jmatta, if you are going to add side skirts then be prepared to add at least a new front bumper. If the front isn't too aggressive then you will not have to do the rear. Of course it won't stop there because then you will want to lower the car, and so on, and so on....

That being said, I just ordered the Caractere Turbo style bumper with TechArt side skirts, H&R coilovers, and I am having some fun with the interior too. Modding is like crack, it addictive
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
eqs

Hey Grizzly, I know you respect the opinions of others here, otherwise you wouldn't ask, but do what makes - you - happy . If you want to mod it, do it. I wouldn't not do it because others told me it was silly, in their opinion.

For me the only thing - I - added to my ride was the OEM short shifter, but it did come with 15K of options though.

If you feel it - do it

Cheers
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

Keep in mind, some opinions are wrong. I steer clear of those. That's why I say...

Nope. Don't do it. It will push it over the edge.

Your bumper is too smooth for that kind of visual transaction. It will look line-y, plasticy, and cheapish.

I put your car on a design dyno and well, I think this chart best sums up your mods.

What you want to do is shoot for is a level 10 coolness level. I think you're car is cresting out.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

I might swap the sideskirts for the difusers. Might get a little busy with the spoiler.
Sideskirts are a must have with 19" wheels.
THe Boxster looks a little unfinished to me without skirting. Too much deadspace under the doors.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Wow. What you people are saying to Grizzly makes me wonder what you say about my car behind my back... wait, you can't do that because I read every thread. Never mind.

I have diffusers and side skirts. It doesn't detract from anything and I'd never go back to owning a boxster without side skirts.

The sides of the 986 are just too plain without them. Just be sure to buy polyurethane.

PS - A new front bumper is not required. It's already at the right height for skirts.

PPS - What red blooded man doesn't like staring at a new set of skirts?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I might swap the sideskirts for the difusers. Might get a little busy with the spoiler.
THe Boxster looks a little unfinished to me without skirting. Too much deadspace under the doors.
I agree with the first part. Skirts, diffuser, and spoiler -choose only 2.
As for the deadspace, the solution to that is a subtle lowering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have diffusers and side skirts. It doesn't detract from anything and I'd never go back to owning a boxster without side skirts.
I think color makes a difference. On a darker car, I think the lines show up less -so it looks acceptable. On a lighter color, you can actually see where the skirts attach. I think that's what makes it not work as well specifically for Grizzly's car. Believe it or not, the painted side vents contribute to this potential busyness fiasco that's about to unravel IF he decides he wants to start wearing skirts.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #10

Hey Grizz,
I don't know...IMHO, I think I'm the only so far that would say that your car looks awesome the way it is!

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Hey Grizz,
I don't know...IMHO, I think I'm the only so far that would say that your car looks awesome the way it is!

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
Nope, I said it too.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #12

A set of Aerokit 1 sideskirts could look good......

Or the GT3 replicas Perfectlap has could suit the car very nicely as well
davej_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #13

I think the decision to lower the car should never have looks as a factor. I
Well for me at least, that's a 100% performance mod. Giving up travel for the sake of looks is just crazy to me. That's a performance mod that really depends on the roads you will be driving. Around these parts the roads are terrible. Reducing travel on rough roads will only beat up your car, things start to come loose, wear prematurely($$$) and those new rattles drive a man nuts. The car is set up for excellent handling right out of the box, unless you do a fair bit of track/autox I don't see more upside than downside with lowering springs on rough terrain.

The skirting gives the impression of a lower car without giving up travel. A double win for me. And the price is great bang for the buck.

p.s.
Difusers are great because with just the skirting only the line of the car has the rear end sitting too high up off the ground. Not really as noticeable with the front end. The only problem is that with lighter colors the difusers look tacked on vs. the seamless look of a euro rear OEM 03-04 bumper. I don't know if its too risky but I would be inclined to shape the aftermarket difuser onto the bumper itself so there are no seams...and cross your fingers no one ever backs into you.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-29-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #14

Looks good as is!

I wonder if someone where to add side skirts to a 550 spyder to give it a more modern look an add some interest to the bland sills? I think you peaked out with what you have done and between those '03 side vents and the 19" death defiyers you have it in the bag. Also why add more weight to a car, even the little extra from the skirts? I am trying to think of how to lose a little weight rather than add to it. I understand the urge to keep on going is strong but let me add this: Someone once said that you "need the artist and someone to tell him when to stop"

So stop already,

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #15

say where are the Apple and photoshop guys when the thread needs them?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #16

Beautiful ride!

Trieullionaire
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #17

I say add them, but get the Aerokit II sideskirts. The curvy looks would look great and really add to the overall look.

The addition of the side skirts won't add more than a couple of pounds to the car. The factory GT3 side skirts I bought weigh almost nothing, but really add to the looks IMHO. I still need to get mine painted, so I haven't installed them yet.

You don't really need to change the bumper out, as you already have a 996 bumper installed. I prefer the GT3 bumper, but like the 996 bumper too.

There will always be those that prefer not to change a thing from the stock look, and there are those that prefer not to look like everyone else. I think the mods you've done so far are very cool and tasteful. We've all seen what going too far looks like.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #18

Based on everyone's opinion, I've decided to add one skirt to the passenger side.

Seriously, I'm still open to opinions but thanks to everyone who's responded so far.

At this point, I think I'm leaning toward leaving it as is. The reason I asked for opinions in the first place is that, as much as I like them, I suspect that the skirts may be too much.

IMO, Jeph's car is probably the most tasteful on the board, so I tend to listen carefully to what he has to say...not to mention that the design dyno never lies.

I also agree that Randall can get away with additions that I can't because his car is black (that's cheating, Randall).

Thanks again.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Didn't want to jack the other thread. I like the look of sideskirts, but I'm afraid to keep adding stuff to my car. At what point does it become too much? Will the skirts add to or detract from the car? I don't want to look like I belong at NOPI. Opinions, please.
So far, everything on your car looks like or is a factory piece. If you went with factory type side skirts or the gt3 look ones, it would look nice. Stick with body parts that are factory or factory knock offs and you typically can't go wrong.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #20

Lower it and done!!

all your car needs is a 1.5 inch drop. no need for side skirts. i was at a porshce show this weekend. the nicest boxster on the lot was a boxster that was sitting on 19z and lowered 1.5 inches. nothing else down. i've done everything to my car as far as exterior goes, and i loved how simple this car looked. your car only
needs to be lowered!!!!!!!!!! take my advice, people have always thought that i do my cars up nice and simple. okay maybe i've over done the boxster just a little bit...the rims for sure are over kill...but the look i was going for!

986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote