Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #1

Oil Analysis

I work for a major solid waste hauler and I have over 200 commercial trucks and drivers in my market I am responsible for. The Maintenance Manager told me he sends out used oil samples on about 25% of our fleet each month to our truck vendor for analysis. He offered that next time I change the oil in my Boxster if I grab a sample he will send it in for me. Has anyone ever done this? Should I take him up on it? What if they find something is there really anything I can do about it?

Thanks
Greg
2002 Triple Black, 64,000 Miles, desnorkled, bumper plugs, nitrogen filled tires

gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
bmussatti

What lab does he use?

If they find stuff, you can, for example; shorten the oil change interval, do proactive repairs and etc.

You won't learn much with the first test other than establish a "base line". Then with each re-test over the years you can log and document any changes.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #3

Greg,

Here's a good thread regarding oil analysis :

mobile 1 0W40 analysis results 8700 mile OCI, 00 boxster s

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #4

Thanks for thread - good info.

Bussatti - They use CITGO Corp. Labs. It not going to work for me. They test based on 15w-40 oil. I have 0w-40.

I may give Blackstone a try. I have no idea what the baseline would be since I bought he car used and the dealership did not have service records. It has 64K miles . So, I am guessing the oil was changed about 60k.

Greg

2002 Triple Black 64000 Miles, densorkled, bumper plugs, nitrogen filled tires
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Like bussatti said, it's really the trending that's important. I've been doing this for several years on my vehicles. Labs to use are Blackstone (previously mentioned), Polaris, Staveley, and there are others. I found a lab that's in the Boston area so I will start using them. The basic analysis is around $25 and a few bucks more for the TBN test which will tell you if you can extend the interval. I've imported the data into a spreadsheet and plotted out the trends.

Regards,
paul...

paulv is offline   Reply With Quote