Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 04:03 AM   #1

Question Is there really any differrence?

Are there really any quality differences between boxsters built in Stuttgart ("S" in the 11th VIN character) and those built at the Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland ("U" in the 11th VIN character)?

wnapo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #2

I have read some about this and there is really no difference in the car as far as specs, etc.

Not sure what really dictates it to be made in Stuttgart vs. Finland, but something like 80% of them are from Finland from memory.

I always wanted a car built in Stuttgart as "true" Porsche, but after thinking about it, I thought that I wanted a car from a factory where all they built was Boxsters vs. 911/Boxster as maybe you will get a better car?

Porsche's historically have been built in many different plants and by many different coachbuilders (Valmet, Drauz, Reutter, maybe others).

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
EE3racing

The only difference is on the car ID plate as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't been around because I lost my job 12/22 and didn't know I was on the chop block. Right before this happened, I bought Zimmerman cross drilled rotors with black hats, pagid blacks, a new motive power bleeder, yellow caliper paint set, weltmeister anti squeel liners for all and blue racing fluid. If I can't find employment those items may be for sale at a great price, I'll let everyone know. God willing, I''ll keep them and the car, the answer is unclear right now.

Last edited by xusmnimij; 01-05-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #4

I think I read somewhere on this board that the Finnish cars are less likely to have RMS failures. I don't know what validity there is to that statement, but I do know my car is from Finland, and that it is has been mostly trouble-free (cheaper operating costs than my Acura TL so far).

xusmnimij, I hope things turn around for you, man. Hang in there.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
As far as I know there is no difference between the two plants except the VIN. But if the Finland cars really are less likely to have RMS, I hope it is true because my car was made in Finland.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

I have never seen Porsche release any kind of defect data, let alone by factory.

Wonder why? Just kidding.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #7

I believe Bruce Anderson visited the Finland factory and surmised that the quality was a tad better than the German made cars. I don't know what criteria he used but I wouldn't worry where you Boxcar was made. I have an '02 that had a RMS (fixed under warranty, 13hrs labor) and it was made in Finland. Danbury Porsche told me that it would never leak again,.......we will see...........

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

All of the engines are made in Germany. Porsche ships the completed engines to Finland. So the RMS issue has nothing to do with where the car is assembled.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #9

Tranmissions are made in Japan.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #10

Which transmissions are made in Japan?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Which transmissions are made in Japan?

It is my understanding that commensurate with the 987, all manual 911 and Boxster transmission were made in Japan. Previous trans made in Germany.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
It is my understanding that commensurate with the 987, all manual 911 and Boxster transmission were made in Japan. Previous trans made in Germany.
This is my understanding too.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
bmussatti

Don't forget, all 1997 Boxsters we made in Germany. They did not start using Finland until the 1998 MY.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #14

Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #15

I tried to run down the source of Porsche transmissions. The closest that I came is that the trans are produced in Germany for Porsche by a company called Hermes. Then I hit a wall. No info.

Several more tid bits below on how Porsche cars are manufactured.

Following was taken from an article on the VW and Porsche relationship.

Why is it so important to Porsche that this relationship work? For an answer, look under the hood. Only about 20% of what makes a Porsche a Porsche - largely the engine and transmission - is made by Porsche workers. The rest is outsourced, mainly to VW. The Cayenne SUV, for example, was engineered alongside VW's own SUV, the Touareg. The steel structure for both vehicles is welded together on the same VW assembly line in Slovakia. When the much anticipated Panamera, Porsche's first four-door sports car, arrives in 2009, it will sport a body assembled and painted by VW at a plant in Hanover.

Several more:

Porsche and Optimal Outsourcing
A client and I had an interesting discussion this week about optimal level of internal v/s outsourced - the buy v/s build as it comes to IT talent. We discussed Porsche - and the fact that they outsource almost 80% of what goes in to their car, and primarily focus on design (can you imagine the reaction to the guy who first proposed they let someone else manufacture the engine - the "heart"). But industrial and retail supplier management has evolved over decades. Boeing, Bechtel, Nike, Wal-Mart - they have learned the art of collaborative design, vendor managed inventory etc. IT supplier management in comparison is still a young art.

Buyers of the highly successful Porsche Cayenne sport-utility vehicle, which starts at $41,000, are probably unaware that VW workers produce more than 85% of the wholesale value of every Cayenne, and that the Cayenne shares 65% of its parts and modules with VW's Touareg. The Cayenne's body is built at VW's plant in Bratislava, where workers earn $250 a month.

If companies like BMW, Chrysler, and Porsche outsource the entire production of vehicles to a manufacturer like Magna or Karmann, what is to prevent the consumer from trying to buy from the manufacturer or the manufacturer from trying to directly reach the buying public? How much value is added by the emblem and hood ornament?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #16

Interesting observations on Global car manufacturing

In terms of teaching the cases, he says, "What's really remarkable is that, at least for non-German students, for the most part they do not really care whether the Cayenne is made in Germany or not. Customers are buying the Porsche name. For the most part, the controversy in Germany is a non-controversy in the classroom. Yet there does appear to be some limit to where Porsche could locate because of its image."

"The Cayenne is clearly German-designed and inspired. Only when you think of it in terms of a pure manufacturing product does its content become problematic for deciding just how 'German' it is. We do not try to figure that out. It's near impossible because of the long supply chains among parts suppliers. But, I think, in many ways, Porsche has unconsciously gone back to its roots. After leaving Mercedes, Ferdinand Porsche founded his own design firm in 1931 with his son and his son-in-law, Anton Piëch—yes, the father of Ferdinand Piëch of VW, making the original Ferdinand Porsche his grandfather. That 1931-founded firm was mostly a design and engineering firm, which helped to create the Volkswagen Beetle. So the alliance and cooperation with VW is reproduced."

"In addition, as the founder of Porsche, Ferdinand Porsche also had Central European roots, since he was born in Maffersdorf, Bohemia (now Vratislavice in the Czech Republic). If you think of Europe more broadly than just Germany or other national states, it's really a Central European story here." In this respect, Porsche's Cayenne manufacturing also brings the company full circle, observes Fear.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #17

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #18

I guess my service advisor was correct after all.

Interesting, no matter how I searched, I could not find a reference for this.

Do you think porsche is tryint to keep this quiet?

Is this car GERMAN or not?

Not that it matters to me, but it IS interesting.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #19

3 years ago when the 987/997 came out I spend a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of the German versus Japan issue. It was part of trivia on Renntech. You also have to deal with the manual versus automatic transmissions. And since then you have to deal with the Cayman.

Who mades what is still disputed by the public. You service advisor may not know.

I think all the transmissions are made in China. Then the drain plug is screwed in in Germany.

The Cayenne is easy. The automatic transmission is made by AISIN in Japan. Porsche got it because of the Touareg. Toyota owns part of AISIN and of course Lexus. The Cayenne transmission is also used by Lexus. I talked to a mechanic working on a Cayenne transmission and a part he needed could not be provided by Porsche. PCNA told him to buy the part at the Lexus dealership down the street....
Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #20

as far as i know there is no differance in the quality of the cars or anything else other then the VIN. didnt know they were making the transmittions in japan now...oh well not like it really matters, they do whats cheaper. as long as quality holds up I don't care where its made. Mine was born in Finland though :-) lol...maybe its not a real porsche

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote