Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

How far northeast into Canada can/should I drive a Boxster??

I want to take a cross country trip from San Diego and go as far northeast as I can past Main and into Canada. Looking at he map it appears I can go into Nova Scotia to Halifax and then take a ferry to Prince Edward Island. I plan to leave in early September so I would be in the far northeast in mid September and stay there about two weeks and be out October 1. Haas anyone done this? How are the roads there in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island and is there much to see and do? Any recommendations on places to go , to eat, and to see? Any particular problems to be faced because I am in Boxster?
This is going to be a great trip!!!!

kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #2

Hey Kavlono
If you come into Canada via Maine you can enter through Calais Maine into St Stephen New Brunswick or you can stay on the I 95 North and come into Canada through Houlton Maine into Woodstock New Brunswick. Either way you would be approximately 3 to 3.5 hours to the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border. Through Houlton you have 4 lane highway all the way whereas through Calais you will have some two lane highway before you get to the 4 lane. The turn off to PEI is in Aulac New Brunswick which is about 5-10 minutes from the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border. From the turn off it is about a half hour drive on a two lane highway to the Confederation Bridge which is about 8 miles long across the Northumberland Strait to PEI. PEI is only 121 miles long. It is a tourist haven in the summer. There are same beautiful golf courses on PEI.
Halifax is a port city. Across the harbour is the city of Dartmouth. I believe the municipality of Halifax has a population of approximately 600-700 Thousand. We had a tough winter this year and some of the roads took a beating. There are a lot of pot holes this spring but they usually fix them. For the most part the major highways are fine. I drive my Boxster on the highways all summer. This is a brief description of the area. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you want and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I have traveled all over NS, NB and PEI so I can give you what insight I know. I have been to San Diego once and i did not get to see much of it but what I did see was spectacular. The maritime provinces are beautiful in the summer and fall, they aren't San Diego, but there is certainly lots to see. The only problem you might have is if you had any mechanical issues. There is a Porsche dealer in Halifax as well as a few small European shops. There is also a guy in Moncton new Brunswick.
Nick 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #3

have you never watched southern comfort?!?!! you'll be breakfast, your boxster will become a designer raft!!....(wish i could jump in the car and explore the wilderness, nothing much here in england to explore )
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Nick. If I feel adventurous can I get to Newfoundland Island and drive route 430 to the city of St. Anthony. Is there a ferry there and what are the roads like? Have you done it?
Thanks again.
kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

Kavlono
I have been to Newfoundland a few times. It is an amazing province. The people and the scenery are fantastic. My wife and I took the Boxster to Newfoundland two summers ago. You have to drive to North Sydney Nova Scotia which is about 4.5 hours from the Nova Scotia/New Brunswick border. The ferry ride is about 6 hours from North Sydney to Port aux Basques Nfld. You have about a three hour drive to Deer Lake which is where you catch the 430. We stayed in a small coastal community called Rocky Harbour. We took a few tours about an hour north of Rocky Harbour but that is as far north as we went as we travelled to central Newfoundland as well. I have never been to St Anthony so I am not sure what the road is like. I have been told that you can go out on a boat to do some whale watching and criuse around some icebergs up around St Anthony. It is approximately another 150-200 miles north of Rocky harbour. Most of the highways in Newfoundland are 2 lane roads. The 430 is a good road with a lot of turns that follows the coastline. A good Boxster road. The big issue in Newfoundland is there alot, and I mean alot, of moose. I strongly recommend that you do not drive after dark.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #6

Kavlono
I meant to add this to my last message. One issue you may find is that the temperatures in St Anthony Newfoundland in late September/early October could be cold.