Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #1

Brake and Steering Sensitivity

After speaking with someone at a PCA meeting he told me his brake pedal was super senstive and stops on a dime, my pedal doesnt seem as sensitve to even my ex's 06 accord and i would expect with cross drilled slotted rotors and those big brakes it would be? Maybe something can be adjusted or fluid is down? Also is the steering on a Porsche kinda tough at a stop, the steering is great at speeds but maybe a tad tough when not moving..Thanks for the help!

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #2

Super sensative/touchy brakes are not a good thing. Neither is overboosted and light steering. This is a performance car not an accord. Your car is fine and is working as they intended.

Last edited by Adam; 04-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #3

Super sensitive brakes are a good thing. The Brakes in my Boxster are VERY sensitive, and that's as I like them to be. To achieve this, I change the fluid on avg. every 1.5 yrs. and pump at least 2.5 ltrs. through to insure that 'all' the air is out. Also, my Pads and Rotors are well within spec and the Master Cylinder is in excellent shape.

But, most of what you describe is very subjective, not to mention you're taking what someone else said about their car and automatically applying it to your car without driving the other car as a comparison.

But, really, very little info on which to make an objective guess.

What is the mileage on the car? The Brake Pads? Rotors? Brake Fluid? With regard to heavy steering, what size are the front tires? Increasing the width will require more effort at low speeds, etc.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-15-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #4

Most people that test and review cars that know more than us give negative marks when the brakes are too touchy or grabby under initial braking. It's not desirable and can make the car more difficult to drive smoothly on the track and otherwise. I think you are getting sensitivity and modulation mixed up.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #5

Agree there Adam. Brakes that don't take much effort feel better at first, but then you realize you can't really modulate how much actual brake force you want to apply. The trick is having brakes that you can apply extremely lightly, extremely heavily, and everywhere in between (usually with a lot of foot force on the latter side).
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #6

Ok what I am talking about it initial touch of pedal, i have to push the pedal further to get the gripping stopping power i want where i would think i can barely touch it to get some stopping power, make sense? The Car is an 01S with 82K on it. At slow speeds I am starting to hear a squeek so maybe thats the culprit?
On steering its all on stock wheels and tires but i think im overreacting on that.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #7

Well, if you want to get it sorted, you'll need to measure the Pads and rotors to be sure they're in spec and make the necessary changes. Then, I suspect that you probably need to flush and change the fluid too.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote