Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

Question In car video camera for track day

Is anyone here using a gopro motorsport hero 3? My next track day is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I was wanting something to use in-car, windows down, with the hardtop mounted. Is the unit pretty good on volume control? How about image stability.

The videos I've seen of vehicles using the camera seem pretty good, not a lot of vibration. Last thing I want is something that makes me nauseus on playback

I was hoping for some mounting ideas and settings suggestions.

I know thru cdoc, I can buy the proper boxster roll bar mount for traditional cameras, but that's $200, and my real camera does bad video recording.

The gopro can be found on ebay for $180, with mounts and camera. I'm thinking that's my option, I just wanted to hear some reviews from you guys first.

Thanks.

poopoopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure about the mounts you listed, but depending on the weight of you camcorder you should look at a StickyPod.
It is not made for auto crossing, but for amateur filmmaking. I am sure it would work fine, mounted on the passenger window or mirror.
Just something else to consider for about $100.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I am not sure about the mounts you listed, but depending on the weight of you camcorder you should look at a StickyPod.
It is not made for auto crossing, but for amateur filmmaking. I am sure it would work fine, mounted on the passenger window or mirror.
Just something else to consider for about $100.

my suggestion for a light camcorder like the ultra flip you can probably use a velcro pad..stick it into your helmet or seat..
porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Just bought a sticky pod dash mount, thanks for the lead...
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #5

I went ahead and purchased the GoPro camera. I'll try it out on the road before my DE in two weekends to figure out how to use it. Hopefully I can get some videos posted on here soon.

Unless I totally stink at my next DE, which in that case I WON'T post videos, to save myself the embarrassment.

poopoopaul is offline   Reply With Quote