Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

Question Tri Net brake disc question

Does any buddy have experience with the Tri Net Motorsport slotted discs? They always show up on ebay and I wonder about their durability and the lack of a TUV or DOT approved stamp. Any info. appreciated.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

I can't speak to their durability or such. But, the lack of a TUV, and more specifically a DOT approval would concern me.

This is because should the worst ever happen, and you get in a collision, especially if it included bodily harm or death, Insurance investigators will hold EVERYTHING up to the light to try and sidestep the claim, yours and the other party's.

And surely, the brakes would be one of those items looked into.

Most Insurance Cos. policies prohibit modifying the car and especially putting non-legal (termed Off Road) parts on the car - it's in the fine print.

My best friend is head of auto claim investigations in a 5 state area for a large (read 1 of the Big 5) Ins. Cos. He's been doing this for more than 25 years and so I've heard all the stories... and the list of denied claims because of non-OEM or DOT approved parts is not short.

He knows of my passion for cars and has, more than once, cautioned me against using non-DOT approved parts. Sounds far-fetched, yet it's kept him warm for all these years.

Now, that doesn't mean they're necessarily bad parts. DOT approval can be denied for any number of silly reasons, incl. using the wrong font in listing DOT on the product. But, it's still the standard most Ins. Cos. insist upon.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-28-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Lil, am I correct in assuming that the non DOT part has to have played a role in the accident or incident to which the claim is being made?
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhamr
Lil, am I correct in assuming that the non DOT part has to have played a role in the accident or incident to which the claim is being made?
I'm not the expert, my buddy is. But that would seem logical.

Then again, if the policy states No Modifications, I suppose the company could resort to that in order to deny the claim.

Now, all this investigation and litigation will cost the Ins. Co. money, so on mere fender-benders and run-of-the-mill accidents, they don't scrutinize that severely - my buddy sees only the most horrific, and therefore potentially expensive, claims.

But, in a wrongful death suit, where they're likely to risk paying out tons (up to the policy limits), they're more likely to dig deeper before assuming the risk.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-28-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #5

Thanks again for the replies. I don't know for sure if these discs are TUV/DOT approved or not. I just can't find anywhere that they are. Perhaps some others would have the answer? I know that the insurance point of view that your friend talks of is sound. Would you insure something that has been modified with potentially inferior parts? I thought not. Maybe I should email the company, Tri net and ask them right out.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

I'm not sure how it works with the car insurance companies, but I can tell you in the aviation world if you crash your plane, and ANYTHING is found that wasn't FAA/ PMA approved they can deny your claim, even if the non-approved part had nothing to do with the crash.

I would be very careful installing any components are your car that are not TUV/ DOT approved, ESPECIALLY something like brake components. I can only imagine the argument an ambulance chasing attorney would make against you for "not being able to stop properly because of unsatisfactory braking components" even though your components are likely better.

Just my $.02

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I'm not sure how it works with the car insurance companies, but I can tell you in the aviation world if you crash your plane, and ANYTHING is found that wasn't FAA/ PMA approved they can deny your claim, even if the non-approved part had nothing to do with the crash.

I would be very careful installing any components are your car that are not TUV/ DOT approved, ESPECIALLY something like brake components. I can only imagine the argument an ambulance chasing attorney would make against you for "not being able to stop properly because of unsatisfactory braking components" even though your components are likely better.

Just my $.02

Patrick
+1

I am an ex-miltary aviator w/ 6200+ hrs in my Log Book (Military/Commercial/Private).

To be sure, Aviation regulations are much more stringent than Automotive ones, but all that means squat when you're faced with post-collision litigation and your Ins. Co. goes away because you used aftermarket Off Road parts on your vehicle. You're just feeding the Plaintiff's attorney.

1999 Porsche Boxster