Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Hate to say it, especially on this forum, but if I were to pay 150k for a car....it would have a different prancing horse on the emblem....
Today, you could easily buy 2 Ferrari's from 1996-1997 for the same price one 1997 Turbos S will cost you. There is a reason for that!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I have test driven two already. Neither of them I would buy.
Care to elaborate on that? I have been in one and it's the way these cars should be,very plain and low bodyfat. There isn't much to them.

I haven't driven one but would love to hear about your experiences though. More importantly why wouldn't you buy either one you drove?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #23
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Care to elaborate on that? I have been in one and it's the way these cars should be,very plain and low bodyfat. There isn't much to them.

I haven't driven one but would love to hear about your experiences though. More importantly why wouldn't you buy either one you drove?
Hey Blink, good question. One I drove, about a week ago, was pretty beaten and trashed. 40k miles, modded suspension, and filthy interior. The second one I test drove was very-very nice but had a few body panels that were replaced with carbon fiber. It also had about 40k miles, very-very clean.

Don't forget, you are also buying the "seller" too. Not just the car. So everything needs to come together. I fully expect the process to take several months. And sometimes the journey is more fun than the final destination.

I really want a very stock car. No mods.

The car is amazing. Sounds great. Easy to drive. Scary fast!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #25

993 Turbo is an amazing car to drive. If you keep the rpms low, it drives like an n/a car. But, when you put your foot in it, it wakes up quick. One thing I liked about it is you can actually hear the turbos and they sound good. 996 Turbo just doesn't feel as sporty, it's almost too refined.

What makes the 993 superior to the 964 and previous 911's. The exterior styling, arguably the best looking 911 ever made and they're the last of the air cooled. Some say it's the last true 911.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Today, you could easily buy 2 Ferrari's from 1996-1997 for the same price one 1997 Turbos S will cost you. There is a reason for that!
Very good point, however since my garage could only handle one car it would be of the 360 variety...which is obviously comparing apples to oranges to a Turbo S...just sayin....
Old 03-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #28
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Very good point, however since my garage could only handle one car it would be of the 360 variety...which is obviously comparing apples to oranges to a Turbo S...just sayin....
Hey IowaS, right now on autotrader, there are about 260 Ferrari 360's for sale. That's more than the number of Porsche Turbo S in the USA. Right now there are probably less than 8 Turbo S's for sale.

You would have no trouble finding a Ferrari for sale. But what about that "engine-out" maintenance schedule!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Hey IowaS, right now on autotrader, there are about 260 Ferrari 360's for sale. That's more than the number of Porsche Turbo S in the USA. Right now there are probably less than 8 Turbo S's for sale.

You would have no trouble finding a Ferrari for sale. But what about that "engine-out" maintenance schedule!
I was under the impression with the 360 or 430 they had figured out how to keep the engine in the bay and service it. Keeping the cost out of the $10K range.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #31

Quote:

regardless...either would make me happy. :dance:
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #32

Well, at $225K, Jerry's car is really a bargain, but only if you refrain from putting any more miles on it.

Unlike a Sinatra, Streisand, Andretti, or McQueen car, people will soon forget who the hell Jerry Seinfeld was.

The only way you'll preserve it's value is NOT to drive it.

At that point, it's really an investment, and no longer a car.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-29-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote