Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #1

happy b-day to me

happy b-day to me...it is my 38th ..i bought a 2000 triple black boxster.. mine is tip top no leaks...and quiet as a mouse when in idle...the check engine light came on once...a week after purchase..and scared the hell out of me...the next day it was gone and has not returned..the car drives perfect...i have my 60k tune up the first week of april 08...i have 59311 on the odometer...should i be worried???...im not a mechanic but i attribute the check engine light coming on breifly..to the fact that the car sat from oct07 at the dealership until 3-1-08 my bday and probably had some fouling in one of the plugs that needed to be cleared out..or the air flow sensor..let me know if that sounds crazy...but it runs like brand new...thanks for your insight.

collin

three1seventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Happy Birthday!
If nothing has gone wrong, except for a CEL coming and going it was probably a mass air flow sensor. They can cause that sort of CEL flash, and they normally need to be replaced around 60k. It is no big deal, and unless you notice a significant drop in your mpg, there is probably nothing wrong.
Enjoy your B-Day!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
EE3racing

Great birthday gift, that is exactly how I bought mine. Tomorrow I have an interview, if it goes right I will be able to keep it and my house....
Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #4

thanks for the b-day greetings

good luck on the job interview...you to keep the car...and the house..in that order...kidding...i know that with the credit crunch and current economy that its tough out there...so my heart goes out to all who are trying to survive in the rat race...its nice to come home..back the box out of the driveway and take some alone time to decompress and let the miles go by...take the long way home and use the porsche legacy..to push you to the next level..when my 13 yr old son..asked me if i closed the deal on my boxster..he slapped me on the back and said.."good man"...when i told him i bought it...that meant more than the car...but driving the car home with him was icing on the b-day cake...i will post pic of my ride soom..just got done waxing it with macguires..$7 a can...so worth it....DRIVE ON!!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
congrats on the car and happy birthday!
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #6

Congratulations!

I bought mine last year around May. You probably did better than I on your final price given the current economy. I am new to Boxster ownership but I can tell you a few things about our local area.

I saved a bundle on doing my 30K check at Midwest Eurosport near the airport. They were very professional and did the service check for $375 or so rather than $1,200 which was quoted to me from Napleton Porsche. Midwest Eurosport only work on Porsches and was recommend to me by a friend who races his 944 turbo.

NickCats and Sammy are local Boxster owners and they have invited me to their autocross (first one is April 20th). You should PM them if you are interested.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #7

thanks for he heads up..i got a quote for $845 at SEMERIA IMPORTS for the 60k checkup...can you send me the number for MIDWEST EUROSPORT..much appreciated
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #8

Eurosport-Bensenville
104 W. Irving Park Rd.
Bensenville, IL 60106

630-595-5577 tel
630-595-8096 fax

The shop is not much to look at, but they have a ton of Porsches in their lot and they are pretty busy. They do a lot of prep work for race cars and sponsor around a dozen races per year. I have been there only once but my friend who races his 944 turbo thinks highly of them. My experience was very positive but I found a post from one person on this forum who had a negative experience. I am going back this year before my autocross in April.