Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

CEL code P1119

I would get the CEL with code P1119 once in a while (about once a month or so). The CEL would come on suddenly and would sometimes remain for a day or two before going away on it's own or other times it would go away after being parked for a few hours.

I've noticed that it seems to come on during cruising speeds on the freeway after driving the car with the engine warmed up already, seems not to happen when driving off with the engine totally cold.

Since the problem was intermittent I didn't do anything about it, but finally decided to change the bank 2 pre-cat O2 sensor (driver's side on LHD) last month. I thought I had the problem solved till the CEL light came on again last night on the freeway. Used my scanner and it showed the P1119 code again.

Any ideas?

tracke30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #2

P1119 refers to the OČ sensor on the 4-6 Bank which is the Driver's side.

Did you use an OEM replacement or the generic Bosch? Did you do both banks? I've seen issues when only one bank is changed - confuses the DME.

Check electrical connector at the sensor, remove, make sure it's clean/dry, not chafed, and reconnect.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

I replaced only one and it's the generic 4 wire one, guess that might be causing problems?

Guess I'll have to go get a Bosch direct plug in?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #4

Well, if you don't see anything wrong with the wiring or connector - you didn't use a crimp connector or kink the wire did you? - the sensor pulls a reference sample of air through the insulation (notice how the OEM connector has small holes in it?) and a crimp connector, kink in the wiring, or a sealed connector could compromise this or prevent it altogether. Rather than replace the new one with OEM, I would add the same bosche generic to the other bank, again making sure not to use a crimp connector, sealed connector, or kink the wire. Though advertized as a direct replacement, I suspect that the DME distinguishes a slight difference, or it may be that the new one is operating at 100% while it's opposite on the other bank is not.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-21-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #5

Doesn't the 02 sensor DIY here show using crimp type all weather connectors?

I had to remove the connector and wire from the OEM sensor and splice it unto the generic 4 wire one.

If not crimp type connectors, what should I use? I remember the DIY saying not to solder the connectors.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracke30m3
Doesn't the 02 sensor DIY here show using crimp type all weather connectors?

I had to remove the connector and wire from the OEM sensor and splice it unto the generic 4 wire one.

If not crimp type connectors, what should I use? I remember the DIY saying not to solder the connectors.
I don't know why you wouldn't want to solder it except for maybe the high heat environment might cause it to melt.

I would solder it and use heat-shrink tubing.

Not all OČ sensors require a reference sample and not all acquire this sample through the insulation. I'm not sure which the Boxster uses, so this may be unecessary.

1999 Porsche Boxster