Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Convertible Top Hinge

Ok, this is a shot in the dark, but... I just purchased a 2000 Boxster, and I love it. But looking her over I noticed the main hinge for the convertible top has a silver screw through it on the drivers side, and nothing on the passenger side (but it looks like it would accept some kind of clip or pin fastener, not a screw).

Anyone know what is supposed to go in there?

The PO demonstrated opening the top, but the weather hasn't been conducive to me doing the same, and now I'm a bit concerned about it lest it come apart in the process :-)

Thanks,

Steve

steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

A photo would help
Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #3

Ok, these are pretty bad, but the best I could get.... Silver colored screw on the drivers side, no fastener at all onthe passenger side.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #4

Well, that didn't work.... Looks like the images are too large.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #5

If you are using a Windows PC you can shrink the pictures in the Paint program.
Go to: Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint
After you open the program, got to File/Open, then navigate to where your picture file is and load it in.
Then select from the menu bar: Images/"Stretch/Skew"
Type in 20% value (or even smaller) for the Horizontal and the Vertical boxes of the Stretch box and click on OK.
Save the new picture size out to a different file name and attach that picture file to your post.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Ok, didn't have much luck with the pictures, but if anyone can see the hinges in their roof they can see the fasteners... Of course, I stopped by Porsche of Towson (Md) and one of their techs looked at it, and shrugged his shoulders. Said if he could have it for a day he could research it...

I can't find an exploded parts diagram on the web, but that would probably show it as well. Anyone have a good link to one?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Try this.
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/811-05.php
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #8

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed!! Turns out it wasn't the hinge, it was an attqachment point for the soft top. There are two compression pieces that are pinned together to hold the top. I'm missing the pins (and a PO put a screw in one...).