Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #1

Seat Height

I'm brand new to this forum so forgive me if this has been covered before (i checked the archives and couldn't find anything on it). Just started shopping for a Boxster, and find that my head hits the top on every year model that I've sat in. In fact when I got in the first one, my wife from the outside said, "What is that funny little bump in the roof?"
Well of course, it was my head! So my question is: has anybody found a way to lower the seats? The dealer says we could install racing seats, but they wouldn't be too comfy for everyday driving. If not how about modifying the roof? I'm very disappointed, cause I really wanted a Boxster, but I'm afraid the low roof thing is going to be a show stopper.

Swooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #2

Don't have an answer for your question, but I was curious: Just how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and (having just run out into the garage to check) I have about 3-4 fingers clearance above my head.

'Course it also matters whether your height is relatively more in your legs or in your torso.

Topdown driving only??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

There's a height adjustment handle on the left side of the drivers seat. The front part of the seat stays relatively the same height but the back part of the cushion moves up and down. While sitting in the seat, pull the handle up and push with some force on the cushion to lower the seat. Maybe moving the seat to its lowest position will provide you enough head room. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the thrill of owning a Boxster

But in San Diego you probably could get by with permanently keeping the top down. (I was just in Temecula last week for golf - love Temecula.)
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I have the opposite problem in that I'm pretty short. I found that I had trouble adjusting a seat that wasn't a full power seat to get me in the right position. I wonder if those would also go down more? I've heard there is more headroom in the newer models, but I could be wrong.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
bmussatti

Swooper, are you looking at 986's ore 987's? The 987 has more head-room than the 986. More leg room too.

I am 6'2" and have plenty of both in my 987. In fact, I have more head room in the Boxster, with the top up (not that I drive it that way! ) than I do in my 2007 Ford Explorer.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

Head room

I've looked at older 986s and even sat in a new 987 at the dealer. Though I'm only 6'2", I'm pretty much all torso...I've got short stubby legs, giving me a sitting height of over 42" (I had to slouch to qualify for Air Force pilot training). I've tried all the seat adjustments, and I just can't get low enough. I can slide forward and tilt way back, but then my legs are a little crowded and my arms don't reach. Permanent top down may be my only answer.

Husker- love the orange w/black wheels!
Swooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #7

sorry to say, a race seat won't help much. the factory seat, in the LOW position is about as low as you can get in this car.

just make sure that you adj the seat down, with the up/down lever. otherwise, top down all the time.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #8

Talking

Looks like its a new beetle convertible for you
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swooper
I've looked at older 986s and even sat in a new 987 at the dealer. Though I'm only 6'2", I'm pretty much all torso...I've got short stubby legs, giving me a sitting height of over 42" (I had to slouch to qualify for Air Force pilot training). I've tried all the seat adjustments, and I just can't get low enough. I can slide forward and tilt way back, but then my legs are a little crowded and my arms don't reach. Permanent top down may be my only answer.

Husker- love the orange w/black wheels!
Yeah, keep the top down and you'll be okay! Otherwise, you could always just get a 911. I felt a lot smaller when I drove the 911 so I'm sure it's much roomier.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote