Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #1

Unhappy Spoiler Hydrolics Kaput!! Anyone else ever have this issue?

Hello,

My spoiler has stopped working. It wont raise or lower and makes a terrible grinding noice when attempting to go up or down!

Has anyone experienced this??

The dealer says the hydrolics for the spoiler has failed and I must replace the whole mechanism for around 500-550 euro!!!

They say they have only seen this ever once!! and that was on a fresh one straight on the showroom floor.!

If I manually try to raise it it make this noise..I go out and gently with my fingers help raise it and it goes up. The same when pressing lightly down on it, it goes down.

Obviously I cant do that when driving so I removed the fuse to turn it off (stopping the terrible noise)....I can live with the spoiler not going up or down (car has a techart spoiler on the boot lid), but, the fuse for the spoiler is also the fuse for the rear trunk!!!! smart idea....

Anyone have any ideas before I go and spend 500 euro on getting this fixed just to open the boot!!!???

Any advise would be welcome. Just want to access the boot without putting the fuse in and then removing!!

Thanks,

Steven.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
EE3racing

How mechanically inclined are you? If you don't feel comfortable with wrenches you might want to "wave off" on this as the disassembly looks like something for someone with confidence.

You say the unit works properly and without noise with a manual assist, that seems to indicate the problem is related to the alignment of the mechanicals. The Bently manual speaks of a transmission spur gear and axle and the need for them to be properly seated. It's tough to fix a car over the computer but that would certainly be the first place I looked. The unit appears to be driven by what looks like a small windshield wiper motor. Since yours still operates with aid, it seems likely the mechanism is what needs attention. You might be able to pull down the rug skirt in the rear of the vehicle just below the trunk lock and get a view of this.

Bently says: Spoiler motor and trunk lid lock connectors are joined together and attached to the spoiler housing, they can be removed by rotating counter clockwise 45 degrees. Connectors can be separated from each other by pressing a tab located at the center between two connectors and sliding lid lock connector rearward.

Last edited by EE3racing; 03-21-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #3

Hello...don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm about to do this motor replacement
as well...I'd love to hear from someone who has done this.
Cheers
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

I recently did mine as the lower braiding inside the tube (best way I could think to describe it) became jammed up and wasn't repairable. The whole assembly comes out pretty easily. Take the top cap off the spoiler (you will probably have to break off the 3 plastic plug fasteners but they are about a dollar from the dealership) and you will see the bolts (allen/star?) type like most others on this car) holding on the inner metal part of the spoiler. Once the actual spoiler is off just the two posts will be sticking off and there is two more of the allen type on both sides of the base of the posts. Then a few more bolts from inside the car holding the assembly in along with the wiring harness plugs and you can slide it out. The posts will need to be nearly all the way down to be able to slide the assembly out. After you get everything back together and plugged up with the new assembly be sure to lower the spoiler all the way (even if it looks like it is all the way down) to "reset" it at down position or else it may not function properly. I didn't do this at first and thought the assembly i just installed was broken! Hope this helps.