Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #1

Bought a new Boxster S and key remote wont work?

Hello fellow Porsche owners, i just purchased a 01 boxster S and i love it! Only thing is the key wont unlock and lock my doors? I tried a search but didnt find anything, anyone help me out?

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Hello fellow Porsche owners, i just purchased a 01 boxster S and i love it! Only thing is the key wont unlock and lock my doors? I tried a search but didnt find anything, anyone help me out?

Have you replaced the battery? It's done by pressing the somewhat hidden button then carefully separating the halves. If the battery is OK, try putting the key in the door and cycling the locks or starting the car, see if that restores the function.

Last edited by EE3racing; 03-20-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
Have you replaced the battery? It's done by pressing the somewhat hidden button then carefully separating the halves. If the battery is OK, try putting the key in the door and cycling the locks or starting the car, see if that restores the function.
I assume you mean the buttons on the keys don't remotely operate the locks but it still works if you put he key in the keyhole.

If EE3racing's suggestion doesn't work, you may want to try going to a dealer and see if it's programmed correctly. I know that it's possible to have it set where the trunk releases don't work but the ingnition still does. Perhaps the same thing can be done with the doors - but there still has to be some minimal programming for the car to be able to start.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
I believe if the car sits for a while, a few days, the remote is disabled. Do as EE3 suggest and cycle it through the door locks a few times and see if it comes back. If not then I'd check the battery. Good luck!
senna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

what do you mean cycle it thruogh the locks? Put the key in the hole and?? or there a way to press the buttons on the remote to get it back on?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
EE3racing

Quote:
what do you mean cycle it thruogh the locks? Put the key in the hole and?? or there a way to press the buttons on the remote to get it back on?
Try putting the key in the driver's door, lock the vehicle manually by turning the key, remove the key wait a minute or two then reverse the steps and unlock the vehicle, after that try it via the key remote, good luck.

Last edited by EE3racing; 03-20-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #7

It's not the key, but the car. Basically you have a transmitter (Key) and a receiver (Car).

In order for the system to work, the receiver in the car has to be listening for the signal from the transmitter (Key).

This means that the receiver has to be on, drawing power, even if the key isn't transmitting.

Over time, this will help run down the car battery (the Alarm and some other circuits remain 'live' too, but can't be cut-off), so Porsche has set the receiver to shut off after 120hrs. (5 days) if the Key transmitter hasn't been used.

To reactivate it, you need to unlock the car manually and start the car. If it's not the battery in the Key (Litium CR 2032 3-volt), or some other issue, this should restore normal operation.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #8

Thanks lil bastard and EE3, so your saying lock the car and start it and it should work? Ive been doing that for a couple days and still nothing? or do i have to unlock and lock and start in a specified time? Also it might not be the battery bc the lil red light flashes when i hit it, thanks again for your help guys.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #9

I would still change the battery. The little LED doesn't require near as much juice as the transmitter. You could get the light and still not be able to open the car.

I would try to do the things mentioned in one motion, not wait any specified time.

It is possible that the key is bad, or that something's wrong with either the alarm or the door locks (either mechanical or electric). Have you tried sitting in the car and locking it using the dash button? Does the alarm activate? Do you get the blinking LED on the dash blinking for 10 sec and ten once every 2 sec.? If it blinks for 10 sec and then blinks twice every 2 sec., this indicates a fault in the alarm. The Alarm unit (located under the seat) has a separate API Fuse in it and there is also a fuse in the fusebox on the driver side footwell (#C3 - 15amp).
If swapping the battery checking alarm function LED and fuses don't do it, you'll have to have a dealer look at it with a PST2 or PIWIS diagnostic tool
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #10

Oh ok, i was thinking you meant change the car battery and not the key battery, i havent tried that yet and i will at lunch today. When i lock the car it sometimes makes a beeping sound indicating its activated i assume. Also the button on the dash works. Ill let you know if the battery on the key works : ) Do you know what type it is when i go to autozone today?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
EE3racing

Lewis,

(Lithium CR 2032 3-volt) flat disc commonly available in drug stores or anywhere with a good stock of batteries. Use care and patience when opening the key, good luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #12

Lewis, if the remote has been auto disabled, just locking and unlocking the car door doesnt' do it for me. I have to get in and actually start the car to activate it again as a previous posting member suggested.

Notes:

The car will disable the remote after 5 days of not being used.

The remote is crap and doesn't work nearly as well as my Lexus remote, so don't think you can use it from inside your house or whatever. You must be within ten feet of the car with a fresh battery for it to lock or unlock the doors.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
bmussatti

When the car goes into "power save" mode or "sleep" mode as Lil Bastard described, you must start the car (after unlocking with the key) within a very specific amount of time (< 60 seconds) or else the alarm will sound and activate.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #14

Yah the alarm has gone off on me a couple times already. The only way to get in is using the actual key and starting the car so ive done this several times with no luck, must be the key battery...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #15

K its not the key battery, just bought 2 at the drug store and unlocked the car and turned it on and nothing happens when i hit the buttons. They do flash differently now i think, like one button flashed fast 4x then pauses and another button does something diff..weird?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #16

Ok, I think I may know what's going on. I believe the key is in lockdown.

If the transmitter on the key is operated more than 256 times beyond the range of the car, or with the car stored w/ battery removed, the next time the key is operated, the car won't recognize it.

This can occur if someone is 'playing' with the key, or if the key is being accidentally activated, say in someone's pocket, unbeknownst to the owner.

If this is the case, the procedure is:
  • Switch ON the ignition with the key

Switch OFF ignition

Remove key from ignition

Press transmitter within 6 sec. of removing it

That should reset it, unless the key has been operated 1024 times or more in which case, only the dealer can reset it. Performing this procedure resets this function to zero.

I have no idea why such a function should exist. Perhaps it's a safeguard should someone find the key and try walking through a neighborhood or parking lot trying to get a car to respond to it. Unlucky you if the thief finds the car on the 255th try I guess...
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-21-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #17

Wow you are the man lil Bastard, this car is far more sohpisticated than My supercharged Pontiac . Do you mean turn the car ON or turn it to ON and hit just any button? I will try this and get back to you!

Last edited by BoxsterLewis; 03-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Wow you are the man lil Bastard, this car is far more sohpisticated than My supercharged Pontiac . Do you mean turn the car ON or turn it to ON and hit just any button? I will try this and get back to you!
Just follow the steps exactly how I have written them - that's straight from the Factory Manual.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #19

Ok tried both and didnt work I guess only option now is dealer? I bought a warranty for it so maybe thatll cover it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #20

Found this thread as I was searching this morning. Question: if the key is 'locked out" will the red LED still flash?

My key went out on me yesterday morning. It worked fine when I left the house 0 It seemed as though the range was significantly down, but it opened the car. Same on the way back home: I drove home from where I was, and when I got home the transmitter no longer worked. The LED does not flash.

My ket exhibits the symptoms described here, and I have put a known working battery in the unit to make sure that it wasn't just a dead battery. But the battery was fine - the unit just does not work and no LED, either. I can of course manually open the door and start the car (it will go beep if I don't put the key in and turn the ignition within perhaps 30 seconds) and then relock the car manually.

The hood releases will not work unless the key is in and the switch in the accessory position, and the door locks will not work from inside the car - I need to shut the door and lock manually.

Do you guys think this is a symptom of the key being "locked out" and the thing will start working again if I follow this procedure, or do you think it's something more sinister, like the thing has died and needs replacement?

One other thing: this particular key is only 2 months old. The dealer lost my key while the car was in for service and had to order an new one to replace it. This is the replacement and has worked fine since they originally programmed it.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

gball is offline   Reply With Quote