Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Arrow How much for RMS problem? New User

I'm thinking about purchasing used Boxter. I was thinking maybe '04 with about 35,000 mi, manual transmission. I was reading on this forum that many owners experienced Rear Main Seal leak and I got afraid a little bit.

1. But how much changing RMS actually costs if it happens?

2. If already has a RMS repaired is it likely going to happened again? Should I look for the car that has no RMS changed or for one that owner changed it already?

3. What else should I know about the car before making the purchase?

Thanks all.

goran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
bmussatti

1) About $800 at the dealership
2) Yes
3) Get a PPI done (pre purchase inspection) at a qualified non selling dealer or indy shop
Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #3

$800 is not that bad of repair. Is the RMS leak has to do something with a how the car was "broken" at beginning first 3000mi or is completely individual and depends form car to car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
1) About $800 at the dealership
2) Yes
3) Get a PPI done (pre purchase inspection) at a qualified non selling dealer or indy shop
goran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #4

RMS = Rear Main Seal. Therefore, it is "just a seal". It could faile when new or with 50K miles.. The part itself is rather cheap. However, you often remove the transmission or, both engine and trans as one unit to get acess to it. Therefore, if folks experience just a small drop, they are often inclined to wait until a clutch replacement is needed before replacing, so you can "kill 2 birds with one stone".

As with any used car, it is often of benefit to have it looked over by a professional. That said, even PPI can overlook something. Spend time on this and other boxster forums to learn of the potential weak points so as not to be suprised should something go wrong under your ownership. There are no guarantees in life afterall.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

The price I paid was $1200 for the RMS repair.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #6

My 2004 with 30k miles had its rear main seal replaced under warranty
litronics
Yokahama Advan S.4.
Pioneer AVIC-N4 Navigation
richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #7

I did mine while doing a clutch and flywheel, for preventative measure. Its not a complicated repair, just very time consuming once you factor in pulling the transaxle from the car.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #8

Well after attempting to fix my RMS twice, they determined that an entire new engine was in order due to the tolerances/tool measurements. Was told that the problem with the RMS seal repairs was not the seal, but the tool use to do the work that needed to be "adjusted" to allow the seal to sit properly. In any case, a new 3.2L engine works for me.

LOL.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #9

I was just quoted $1500 for RMS leak from the dealership, will probably wait until it needs a new clutch as it is just dripping and I haven't lost more than a quart in 10k miles.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #10

If you buy a car with 35K miles on it the clutch will likely be close to worn out on it anyway unless it is all highway miles. The clutches are fragile like the rest of the car. If I was faced with buying one with the clutch and RMS already done or one that has not been touched yet I would buy the one that had the work done already. YVMV
djmunsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #11

Fragile? Mine's a daily driver. 78k on original clutch, not slipping yet. They take a bit more maintenance than your average Honda and parts/labor will cost more too but I don't think that qualifies as fragile. Never ceases to amaze me how many people think the Boxster should be on a "Ferrari-like" maintenance schedule.