Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

Cool New wheels (SportTechnos) are on!!!

Well, they are finally on. New tires and the SportTechno replica wheels. Its been raining all day here so I haven't had a chance to get some pictures.

Some comments:

- DAMN they make the car look awesome!!! Went from 17" BoxsterS II wheels.

- Ride quality is even better than previously but this has to do with brand new tires.

- The replicas were made to factory specs, however going 18" gives very little space between wheel and body, got to be careful on sharp and fast turns or big bumps so the tires don't hit the body. This has nothing to do with replica wheels, it is probably the same case with OEM's.

- I've only driven 20 minutes but my confidence that the quality of the replicas are good is growing...not to mention the 1 year warranty.

- Did I mention they look DAMN good?

Pics tomorrow!

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 03-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #2

Kewl, I really like the STs. Can't wait to see the pics
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #3

I've been contemplating getting a set for my '02 S from WheelsAndCaps. Being an S model, would I need to purchase additional spacers?
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #4

Rareair,

I went through the whole process and research for at least 3 days. Here are some easy answers:

-You will NOT require spacers even if you get the replica wheels. The ones I got and blinkwatt are made in Italy. I do not think there are other SportTechno replicas out there.

-Wheelsandcaps have much better pricing than WheelDynamics where I ordered mine, however the only reason I did was because Wheelsandcaps did not have any more sets...also when I called them on the phone the guy didnt sound very helpful. I know quite a few replicas are made in China and I asked him where the SportTechnos coming from. His answer was "I dont know...".

-If you decide to go from WheelDynamics call them and talk to Carlos, ask for him and do not talk to anybody else until you talk to him. He is awesome, he gave me 150$ discount on the wheels (still more expensive than Wheelsandcaps) and he also gave me free shipping. Mention to him you are registered here and people from around the forums talk about his reputation.

-From WheelDynamics there is one year warranty on those replicas and lifetime structural warranty. I think Wheelsandcaps offer similar stuff.

Hope this helps! I kept my OEM wheels just in case....

p.s For the looks and only, its worth it. I also needed tires so it came out better.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 03-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
-Wheelsandcaps have much better pricing than WheelDynamics where I ordered mine, however the only reason I did was because Wheelsandcaps did not have any more sets...also when I called them on the phone the guy didnt sound very helpful. I know quite a few replicas are made in China and I asked him where the SportTechnos coming from. His answer was "I dont know...".

wheelsandcaps are a nationwide operation, they supply replicas for MANY makes of vehicles. Wheel Dynamics specializes and is a smaller operation=more personal,better customer service.

-From WheelDynamics there is one year warranty on those replicas and lifetime structural warranty. I think Wheelsandcaps offer similar stuff.

Same from wheelsandcaps
Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #6

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but has anyone weighed the replicas before tires were installed?

Thx.
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT986S
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but has anyone weighed the replicas before tires were installed?

Thx.
No but I will try to have the shop weight them before they tires are mounted and balanced.