Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #21

Hi Gary in BR, Wow another south louisiana boxster on this site, I have been on this site for awhile and never saw so many local boxsters......

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #22

Exclamation

I tell you......We need a good ole' fashioned 986 Cajun Fun Run (maybe include 996s now that Max has outclassed us! LOL!!!) ---- maybe up to Abita BrewPub or just a loyal crawfish boil?

Crawfish boil:
I will be glad to host it at my new home in Mandeville (right off Hwy 59) and pay for the crawfish and beer, if someone wants to bring their pots and cook em up!
Heck, we could have a little Porsche maintenance day too if ya'll are feeling
really energetic!

Maybe early April?
Get in touch with me....

Any of you guys in the local PCA chapter?
meerzee@gmail.com
-Andy
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #23

Congratulations! I'm happy it all worked out for you. :dance:
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #24

LETS DO IT!!!

PARTY AT ANDYS HOUSE!!!!

Local PCA stuff.

I was the membership chairperson for 2 years for our chapter.

I am in Whiskey Bay, by PCA rules Whiskey Bay covers East Baton Rouge Parish all the way to Texas.
http://whbpca.org/

Because of the closeness of everyone in BR and NO area we cross into and out of the clubs alot. PCAs charter is desinged so that if you are a member of the national club you can go to any clubs events.

The New Orleans clubs web site is
http://mgpca.org/

Because of the vast amount of the state that the Whiskey Bay club covers we alternate between "Baton Rouge" and "Lafayette" events.

This month is the oddball month. This past weekend we went to Ponchatoula to a German restaurant. and in April I think the 12-13th we are having our joint event with us and Mardi Gras region at No Problem Raceway
http://www.noproblemraceway.com/

I dont have all of the details for the multi club event, but I know there will be a Porsche car show, a band, BBQ, club race, and touring laps for those not in the race, last year they even set up a tour of plantation homes and antique shopping for those that do not want to be at the track (by no means will I say for the women because we have a few female members that can drive rings around some of the men Renee (female) in her 997 GT3 knows what I mean) As soon as everything is final I was planning on posting here.

I think joining the PCA is well worth it. The magazine, the discount for parts at the dealership. The events are good also. We do Tech events, dinner, road rallies, DE's its a pretty diverse group of cars. 356 Speedsters, all sorts of 911's, a Gembella 996 Turbo, a few members have Lambos and Ferrari's and they bring them out. 997 GT3s, a Twin Turbo Boxster. A highly modified 996c4 (the C4 is amazing), Caymans and 944's. You name it we have it.

I hope this does not count as a thread high jack; the question was asked if there were any PCA members.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #25

I am member of Mardi Gras PCA, but haven't been to any events yet.
We should plan for a party!
Email me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
LETS DO IT!!!

PARTY AT ANDYS HOUSE!!!!

Local PCA stuff.

I was the membership chairperson for 2 years for our chapter.

I am in Whiskey Bay, by PCA rules Whiskey Bay covers East Baton Rouge Parish all the way to Texas.
http://whbpca.org/

Because of the closeness of everyone in BR and NO area we cross into and out of the clubs alot. PCAs charter is desinged so that if you are a member of the national club you can go to any clubs events.

The New Orleans clubs web site is
http://mgpca.org/

Because of the vast amount of the state that the Whiskey Bay club covers we alternate between "Baton Rouge" and "Lafayette" events.

This month is the oddball month. This past weekend we went to Ponchatoula to a German restaurant. and in April I think the 12-13th we are having our joint event with us and Mardi Gras region at No Problem Raceway
http://www.noproblemraceway.com/

I dont have all of the details for the multi club event, but I know there will be a Porsche car show, a band, BBQ, club race, and touring laps for those not in the race, last year they even set up a tour of plantation homes and antique shopping for those that do not want to be at the track (by no means will I say for the women because we have a few female members that can drive rings around some of the men Renee (female) in her 997 GT3 knows what I mean) As soon as everything is final I was planning on posting here.

I think joining the PCA is well worth it. The magazine, the discount for parts at the dealership. The events are good also. We do Tech events, dinner, road rallies, DE's its a pretty diverse group of cars. 356 Speedsters, all sorts of 911's, a Gembella 996 Turbo, a few members have Lambos and Ferrari's and they bring them out. 997 GT3s, a Twin Turbo Boxster. A highly modified 996c4 (the C4 is amazing), Caymans and 944's. You name it we have it.

I hope this does not count as a thread high jack; the question was asked if there were any PCA members.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #26

Gary, I joined the PCA a few weeks back, and have already received an email for dinner with the mardi grad chapter down on metairie rd. for this wednesday. I hope to attend, but I will probably have a meeting that afternoon that will prohibit it.

Louisiana crew, count me in for a get together. I have a company golf tournament, a day at the fairgrounds, a baptism for my baby, and my sister flying in town all within the next month and a half, so whenever we plan it, I would have to work out an appearance.

Now, as far as driving impressions of the ride, the car is quick compared to the 2.7, with much more power for merging and passing. The ride and sound with the lowering kit (haven't investigated the brand) and exhuast is almost identical to a bad plane landing or a 1970s pickup truck with no exhuast. I stalled the car 5 times when starting to move off gas pumps and food joints by letting off the clutch too soon because of the sound. The shift pattern might take me a few journeys too, because I had 5 speed.

I took some time on the turnpike rest areas for cornering, and the rear seems to get loose easier on this car. Maybe due to power, maybe due to weight ditribution. At the same time, there is 0 roll with the low suspension and low profile tires.

The low (4 inch) ground clearance at the front bumper makes for a "back-up only" parking scenario. Even then, the mufflers would hit if you went all the way into a spot.

The car is far less practical than my boxter.. It is too loud, too rough, too low, and too unrefined to sit in New Orleans traffic. It would not make it down ANY N.O. CBD streets. I don't think it would even climb the incline to my parking garage. It is cumbersome to drive it slowly the way it is set up.

To elaborate on why I would "torture" myself into driving it.. I put 4k miles on my boxster in the last year and it is by no means a daily driver. I want the garage queen to be beautiful, to be impractical, to speed, to make noise, to explore the winding back country roads North of Mandeville at high speed, and to take my baby girl out for ice cream. This definetly fits the bill for me, even though there will no such thing as "sneaking" out for ice cream.

I am in no rush to sell the boxster though, and will plead with my wife that I need to keep it until mid summer, when it will be too hot to drop the top. For now, it is at my mother's house under cover because my old house only has one garage space.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #27

Sounds like an interesting review so far. It sounds alot like when I owned and raced a highly modified Vette for SCCA. It was extremely loud, impractical, and flashy, but it was very quick...and oh yeah, due to being lowered, it scraped the bottom of nearly every single driveway and I became much more "aware" of the angles of everyone's parking lot, speedbump and driveway
It was quite tedious...and this not even in downtown NOLA.

My experience with driving a few 911s has been good performance, but definitely not the exact cornering capability as the mid-engined, balanced boxster IMHO. You mention 0 roll, much be attributed to some of the mods and/or lowering on your specific model, as I recall a slight roll in a stock body.

All in all, I am happy for you and look forward to checking it out soon. The machine looks very impressive and it should be a nice "ice cream truck" for ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Gary, I joined the PCA a few weeks back, and have already received an email for dinner with the mardi grad chapter down on metairie rd. for this wednesday. I hope to attend, but I will probably have a meeting that afternoon that will prohibit it.

Louisiana crew, count me in for a get together. I have a company golf tournament, a day at the fairgrounds, a baptism for my baby, and my sister flying in town all within the next month and a half, so whenever we plan it, I would have to work out an appearance.

Now, as far as driving impressions of the ride, the car is quick compared to the 2.7, with much more power for merging and passing. The ride and sound with the lowering kit (haven't investigated the brand) and exhuast is almost identical to a bad plane landing or a 1970s pickup truck with no exhuast. I stalled the car 5 times when starting to move off gas pumps and food joints by letting off the clutch too soon because of the sound. The shift pattern might take me a few journeys too, because I had 5 speed.

I took some time on the turnpike rest areas for cornering, and the rear seems to get loose easier on this car. Maybe due to power, maybe due to weight ditribution. At the same time, there is 0 roll with the low suspension and low profile tires.

The low (4 inch) ground clearance at the front bumper makes for a "back-up only" parking scenario. Even then, the mufflers would hit if you went all the way into a spot.

The car is far less practical than my boxter.. It is too loud, too rough, too low, and too unrefined to sit in New Orleans traffic. It would not make it down ANY N.O. CBD streets. I don't think it would even climb the incline to my parking garage. It is cumbersome to drive it slowly the way it is set up.

To elaborate on why I would "torture" myself into driving it.. I put 4k miles on my boxster in the last year and it is by no means a daily driver. I want the garage queen to be beautiful, to be impractical, to speed, to make noise, to explore the winding back country roads North of Mandeville at high speed, and to take my baby girl out for ice cream. This definetly fits the bill for me, even though there will no such thing as "sneaking" out for ice cream.

I am in no rush to sell the boxster though, and will plead with my wife that I need to keep it until mid summer, when it will be too hot to drop the top. For now, it is at my mother's house under cover because my old house only has one garage space.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
My experience with driving a few 911s has been good performance, but definitely not the exact cornering capability as the mid-engined, balanced boxster IMHO. You mention 0 roll, much be attributed to some of the mods and/or lowering on your specific model, as I recall a slight roll in a stock body.

This past weekend I was on a few back roads with a modified 996 tt I was leaving him in every corner but as soon as the road straightened out he was back on me.

I have had other 911s behind me prior to mods and noticed that in the curves a little "underpowered" boxster can leave them behind.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #29

Did I miss a chapter while everyone was making Marti Gras plans? What happened with the seller? Did you have anyone check it out? How did a deal going quickly south end up being consumated?

Don't leave us hanging......
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
guys , I left at 4:30 am for the airport, got back at 3:30am in my new car. Its everything I hoped for and I appreciate the support. I will write up an official report when I get to a computer, this phone typing is tough.

Post #18 in this thread.

He bought the car.

What is that noise I hear???

Its max in his 996!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #31

I really have no big April plans and since somebody's boiling mudbugs I think I should be invited!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #32

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I really have no big April plans and since somebody's boiling mudbugs I think I should be invited!
Of course you are invited....any 986er (especially black on tan) is a friend of mine.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #33

I wonder what the neighbors will think when a half dozen black boxsters roll in to the 'hood.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #34

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction :-)
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #35

Is this only for black boxsters? What about us silver guys!!!!!! LOL

And if Randall is going to be there, I have to come just to shake his hand. He has given me lots of good advice......

Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
Of course you are invited....any 986er (especially black on tan) is a friend of mine.
Um, mine's triple black. I'll get right to work redoing the interior in tan for the big event to fit in!

Actually, I just bought 39 sq. ft. of black leather to swath the interior in it as I have time this year before I drive up to NC for the tail of the dragon trip.

Would you guys be up for a meet and greet in September too when I roll through on the way to NC?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #37

Max - Wow! When you read this thread from the beginning you don't think it's going to end with a party! Great news.

And to Gary in BR "I have had other 911s behind me prior to mods and noticed that in the curves a little "underpowered" boxster can leave them behind."

One of the original Miata gurus had as his tag
"If you can't go fast with 90 HP then 900 HP isn't going to help."
Pretty true and proven many times out in the twisties - only the 986 is better!
Kevin
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #38

Well, you are talking about a bunch of Greater New Orleans Area folks.....throwing a party for almost no reason what so ever is what we do best.....LOL