Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #1

Tested my engine mount and oh yeah, it's failing

Hi all,

Put about 1500 miles on the boxster in the past 6 weeks and have been slowly solving numerous minor issues.

One has been how much shifting seems to detract from the experience in this car....the shifter balks sometimes, feels like it wants to grind, and is otherwise "rough".

Knew this could be an engine mount problem, heard someone say to watch the exhaust tip for heavy movement on 1st gear launch. So I had my my drive it 15 miles home the other day with me behind.

Holy moly......when she took off on a quick 1st gear launch, the exhaust tip dipped about 1.5". That thing was moving!

So I'm happy to say I have motor mount failure confirmation I'm going to pick up the "enthusiast version" from Pedro's garage. Looks like a good deal! At the same time, I'll slap in some new shifter bushings.

Does the boxster, with good engine mount and bushings, have a nice fluid shifter action albeit with a slightly long throw? I'd like to think so...

Joe

P.s. 99 boxster, 57.5k miles, never tracked or abused. Getting driven hard by me, but with care being given to the transmission and clutch.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

'03 w/81k miles. From what I've read, I think I have the same problem, although I don't notice any excessive vibration around 3000 rpm. Pedro has a nice write up on how to swap out, so I think (hope) even a numbskull like myself can do it. Thought about getting Pedro's "enthusiast version" but opted for the (improved) OEM from Sunset for $101.

I too hope it improves the shifting. I just got the car and have some problems shifting (not as slick as I imagined) but up until now, just chalked it up to not driving a stick in over 20 years.

Mount will ship Tues and be here Wed. I'll report back after the install. I hope I notice the same improvements others have had after replacement.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

engine mount

I am hoping to here how the two different mounts faired. I believe I may have the same problem and I'm very interested in your results
ltburgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2
opted for the (improved) OEM from Sunset for $101.
What's the "improved" version? The stock 987 unit?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
I just got the car and have some problems shifting (not as slick as I imagined) but up until now, just chalked it up to not driving a stick in over 20 years.
I know exactly what you mean. I thought it was just me too because it had been about 30 years since I drove a stick. Took me the best part of a season to get my shifts half-assed smooth. It's definitley a sloppy, rough-shifting car. I should try changing the front mount and bushings. What's in there is most likely 12 year old original equipment.

Joe, do you happen to have the part numbers for the bushings?