Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Pros/Cons of Geico?

I'm thinking of switching...

Anyone have any thoughts? I have State Farm and I'm getting tired of them (bs) after all these years.

I mainly want to know of good or bad experiences with Geico.

Thanks.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #2

I made the same switch. One day I was pulled over and realized I didn't have an insurance card. No problem under normal circumstances. I called my agent and they told me I did not have coverage for the past 4 months.

I checked with my bank and confirmed that they cashed my check, which they had. State Farm gave me my money back, I moved to geico (which was half the price). I had them for 3 years with no stories, no tickets, no wrecks, no claims. I really cannot comment on their service after the accident because I never had one.

I have since switched to progressive, they have my 3 cars and 2 boats for the price geico had 3 cars. I have had no claims with them either, but like the original poster, I would love to know how any of these "No storefront" insurance companies work out when you have an incident.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #3

I am with GEICO, and this is my 2nd time around with them. Lured away by Progressive because of rate only to have the rate increase and exceed GEICO a year later, so I went back. I was never unhappy with GEICO, just tried to save a buck.

I've never had a claim, but my sister who is also with GEICO did and they were great to work with. Had an adjuster there the next day and my sister's claim was settled within the week - fairly.

Don't let rates rule you. Your individual state's insurance laws have as much to do with rates as anything. Each Ins. co. has a proprietary rate formula, which in my state must be submitted and approved by the State Ins. Commissioner. Once that happens (and it's an involved process) the ins. co. is locked in, they cannot easily change in order to compete with co. X. Progressive is waay higher in my state because of this process than say GEICO.

State Farm is a very good co., but inclined to cancel you if you have a claim (or jack your rates to the point you wish they had).

Btw, my Boxster is not insured w/ GEICO. I am under an agreed value policy with a Collector Ins. co. - I get full coverage for 7500 mi. annually (I store the car in winter, and it's not a DD - avg. 5800mi./yr.) and I pay $244/yr. full coverage. Don't have to be in attendance, not restricted to parade or club activities, etc. Just need to be a PCA member and send proof of an alternate car for each licensed driver (we have 6 cars + 1 bike, 2 drivers) and send a photo of your garage, which must be at your primary residence.

Sometimes a switch can be a good thing. If you find it's not, you can always switch back as I did.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #4

lil, is that with any PCA chapter? I am paying 1400 a year for my boxster!
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

I've been spending time online tonight and found that Geico would save me about $75 a month for the same coverage as I get with State Farm (for wifes Passat, My Audi and Boxster)... I have to see if my home owners insurance would go up if I dropped the cars from SF though. I doubt it would much, if any...
I think a savings of $75 a month would be really nice! I'm going to call them tomorrow though and make sure that their quote is on the level.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
EE3racing

Geico uses independent photographers for collision photos. The idiots they chose in my town never had time to take my pics, next thing I knew my collision was canceled. So, I ditched Geico, went back to state farm and they didn't even make me get new photos since the lapsed time was only a couple weeks.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #7

bmx,

I switched to Geico in October. I was paying $180 / mo for the Boxster, Benz, and Harley with Farmers.

With Geico I now pay $80 a month for the Boxster and Benz ( and the Benz is now fully insured, it only had comp & coll with Farmers ) and $20 a month for the Harley ( which is still with Farmers ). So, $1k less a year for more coverage. I haven't had a claim yet, but so far I have been pleased with their customer service.

Hope that helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #8

Thanks for the feedback... I've pretty much decided to give Geico a try. I talked to a rep about the pricing etc... Everything is apples to apples... I think it's basically cheaper because there's no agent/building etc etc. like State Farm has in about every town.
My premium will go down by about $900! But, I will not get a discount on my home owners through State Farm... so I'll pay an extra $100... still a good deal for me though.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
Thanks for the feedback... I've pretty much decided to give Geico a try. I talked to a rep about the pricing etc... Everything is apples to apples... I think it's basically cheaper because there's no agent/building etc etc. like State Farm has in about every town.
My premium will go down by about $900! But, I will not get a discount on my home owners through State Farm... so I'll pay an extra $100... still a good deal for me though.

Not having a Brick & Mortar operation certainly has something to do with it.

But companies set their rates using their own proprietary tables and algorythms. These are largely drawn from their own experience with a particular demographic (State, Zip code area, Age, Sex, Marital status, Credit history, Car type, etc.). Since they cannot access the records of their competitors, they can only calculate their risk from their own.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-26-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
I made the same switch. One day I was pulled over and realized I didn't have an insurance card. No problem under normal circumstances. I called my agent and they told me I did not have coverage for the past 4 months.

I checked with my bank and confirmed that they cashed my check, which they had. State Farm gave me my money back, I moved to geico (which was half the price). I had them for 3 years with no stories, no tickets, no wrecks, no claims. I really cannot comment on their service after the accident because I never had one.

I have since switched to progressive, they have my 3 cars and 2 boats for the price geico had 3 cars. I have had no claims with them either, but like the original poster, I would love to know how any of these "No storefront" insurance companies work out when you have an incident.

Would you agree that switching from Geico to Progressive was... So easy, a Caveman can do it!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #11

I had geicko about 2 yrs ago, my rates were incredibly low as it was only 200 bucks full coverage for 3 cars(miata, audi s4 and a bmw745), also i was about 21 at the time so you can imagine my rates anywhere else would have been much higher. i got rear ended at a stoplight when i was in the miata, clearly an accident that was not my fault at all . Regardless, I had a ton of problems with them to get the car fixed or well get the money to fix the car, they didn't pay for a rent a car even though it was stated i would get one in this case (good thing i didn't need one though because i had other cars) but in general it was a really bad experience. it took about 6 months for everything to get cleared up and I never got my deductible back that i was told i was going to get back...about 6 months later I switched to farmers, I pay now about 240 for my boxster and audi but I think m willing to give a little more money for a piece of mind.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #12

IF you are a shareholder in Berkshire Hathaway, you get an extra 10% off your GEICO auto insurance.

I suggest the BRK.B share which can be had for roughly $4600 each. The BRK.A class runs roughly $139,000 per share, which might be a bit much to save a few hundred bucks on your car insurance...

/
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #13

Geico

I've been with Geico since 1980. I haven't had any auto claims, but they paid on hail damage to my home a few years back (new roof and siding). The annual premium on my 2002 S is $440, with a $500 deductible and $300k bodily and uninsured liability coverage.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #14

pros: you get to pretend to have a pet lizard with a british accent, which makes as much sense as a chihuahua with a german accent...

cons: its jsut another company

(i pay $80/mo for full cov for my boxster w/ 250 ded's)

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #15

Great commercials - so I went online for a quote and entered all my information (my daily car is an Infiniti and I have no points on my record). The rate came back as almost THREE TIMES what I pay for the same coverage at Allstate. No thanks.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
c4s

another variable in the calculus...

I have liberty mutual... four cars... 05 Box S, 07 335i BMW, 08 BMW X5 (3.0), 06 Nissan Frontier 4X4... annual premium for all four is $2200...

Not tickets... however I do have a 16 year old that will be coming out of the 'permit' stage shortly... I'm expecting at least $1k more for that privilege...
c4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #17

Two things you should know about Geico.

First, the company has, for many years, had a policy of buying radar and laser speed guns, and donating them to law enforcement agencies. This has often been written about in car magazines.

Second, if you get speeding tickets with Geico, your rates get increased dramatically. If one has speeding tickets on one's record, it becomes harder to get new insurance, so one may be stuck with the jacked up rates of Geico.

It's an interesting business model... make it easier for law enforcement agencies to give out lots of speeding tickets, and then jack up the rates of the people who do get speeding tickets.
Nick-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #18

Seriously? That's kind of twisted.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #19

But there's more

Geico cancels people who track or autocross their cars. Many people have had their Geico policies cancelled because their names appear in AX results on the web. Google it!
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Seriously? That's kind of twisted.
Not really. It's in Insurance cos. best interest (and perhaps their policy holders too) to reduce/minimize risk.

Reducing the number of speeders accomplishes this, lots of accidents occur at speeds higher than the limit, or are worse because of the speeds involved.

There is a deterent effect to giving out speeding citations, get enough tickets and most people do slow their driving down.

I'm not talking about the arguements that: everybody does it, the States/Municipalities are just generating revenues , they watch for fast cars (especially Porsches), etc., or anything like that.

It's a really simple arguement. When you speed, it's a conscious decision to exceed the posted limit. If you casually exceed the limit, by not consciously watching your speed, that too is your fault - it's you who are controlling the car.

Sure we all do it, both consciously and casually, and most of the time, we don't get caught. But when we do, you gotta Man Up and accept responsibility.

I want the roads to be as safe as they can be. For me, for my wife, family and friends. I'm with GEICO, and I don't mind that some part of my premium goes to these types of programs at all. Yea, I hope they never get me, but that's a separate arguement.

1999 Porsche Boxster