Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Unhappy My Clutch Gets Stuck Half way

Hi
I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 and today as i was driving home, my cluch went down all the way but as i was releasing it it was getting stuck half way then it would snap up to its place. Does any one know why? is it b/c i need a new clutch?

prsnmark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #2

A couple of ideas... I had this happen and it indicated a leak in hydro fluid to the slave or master cylinder for the clutch. Check you master cylinder in the front hood
to see if you are low on fluid. The brake and clutch share the same reservoir. If so, try to top it off with the proper fluid and check the movement of the clutch pedal. If you have fluid, then you will need to check under the car to see if any lines are kinked that could have caused a leak. If none found, then it it time to see a pro to determine if the slave or master cylinder needs replacing. There was also a problem I believe with a mechanism in the actual clutch pedal. You can search Renntech or here for that. I think that is more rare than a bad cylinder..

A good rule of thumb to see if your clutch is burnt or not is to drive the car and at about 35 mph, shift into top gear and then floor the acclerator. If the rpms and the speedo needle climb slowly at the same time, the clutch is most likely good. If the rpms climb quickly and the car doesnt go anywhere, this indicates slippage and a clutch is most likely the answer.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Hey.... i topped of my car in 5th gear and it was fine.... there were no leaks either, so ill just check to see if its low. and if its not so its probably the master or slave cylinder right?
prsnmark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #4

Clutch stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnmark6
Hey.... i topped of my car in 5th gear and it was fine.... there were no leaks either, so ill just check to see if its low. and if its not so its probably the master or slave cylinder right?
I had exactly the same problem on my 2001 Boxster. 8 weeks later the clutch would not move from the compressed position at all anymore. Had to have it towed to the dealership. $700 repair.

Turned out a spring was broken and the cylinders just fine. Therefore I would have that fixed soon.

miles is offline   Reply With Quote