Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #1

Automatic Window Lowering

I just found this forum and joined in the hopes that someone could answer a question on the automatic window lowering feature. As of yesterday, when I open my driver side door, the window still lowers to clear the roof, but it then immediately goes back up, preventing me from closing the door. I have to lower the window by using the switch, close the door, and then go to the passenger side to raise the driver window using the switch again.

Also, while driving today, I noticed that when I hit a bump, the window would lower slightly as if I was going to open the door. It even turned on the interior lights like I opened the door.

Is there a malfunctioning switch that could be causing this and is it difficult to replace? I would prefer to do it myself rather than pay Porsche a small fortune to do what is probably a relatively simple fix.

Thanks,
John

jcskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #2

Window regulator and lock mechanism are two common sources of window problems. Based on your description I'm guessing a bad microswitch in the lock. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Replacement is not terribly difficult but does involve removing the door panel. Did mine in about two hours and that includes fumbling around and forgetting to reattach the door handle the first time. The part is $200-something at the dealer and is not technically not servicable, but someone at renntech says actually you can disassemble and reach the microswitches. I've not gotten around to testing that on my old one.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks Tim. Appreciate the feedback. I was hoping it would be something relatively easy to fix.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #4

I have been getting some weird things with the windows, door locks and even lights at times. I finally realized that if I played and giggled the key in the ignition switch a little bit all was well. I concluded that I am due for a new ignition switch.

kbrandsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #5

A note of CAUTION! - you have side airbags in the door. Whenever doing any work around the airbags, or the doors, be sure to disconnect the battery (radio code in hand if an earlier model) and wait at least 5 min. before proceeding.

The Airbag circuits remain active for several minutes after turning the ignition Off. This is to insure you're protected for the time it takes to turn the ignition Off and exit the car. If you were to be rear-ended as you were exiting, the airbags would still deploy, presumably protecting you.

An accidental airbag deployment is a very violent thing. Aside from scaring the living ******************** out of you, it could also be injurious.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I finally received the microswitch yesterday and installed it today. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. The window will lower a 1/4 inch when I open the door. But the window does back up as soon as I release either the outer door handle or the inner door handle. If I pull either the outer or inside door handle while the door is open, the window will come down the 1/4 inch. But as soon as I let go, the window goes full up. I've gotten quite good at closing the door while holding the outer handle and letting go as soon as the door closes but I would really like this fixed. Is it possible the new microswitch is bad? When I installed the new microswitch, I noticed that it connected to the outer handle. Is there another microswitch that attaches to the inner door handle that could be causing this problem? I suppose the only other thing this could be is the window regulator. Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
JCSkis
Old 03-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #7

PM a forum member named "ToolPants".

Jeff has encountered every boxster problem in existence. He may not be able to get back with you ASAP, but he will get to you... he has a lot of people asking him questions.

I've not heard about this particular issue before so that's the best advice I have to offer you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #8

Window auto lowering

Thanks Randall. I just attempted to send a PM to Tool Pants but unfortunately he has exceeded his PM quota on the site. He must be a busy man.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #9

JCSkis, I would love to know how you solve this problem, I am having the exact same issue with my driver side window right now, its more than annoying!

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #10

I can post the solution when I determine what is wrong. I read on the PCA forum that this problem can be caused by loose connectors where the wiring enters the door. I took a look during lunch today, but it is running through some rubber seals. Didn't have any tools with me to pop the rubber seals and take a look in there. I am also going to call Auto Atlanta where I bought the microswitch to see if they have any other ideas. When I ordered the switch, I seem to recall them saying that if the switch doesn't fix the problem, then it is the window regulator (evidently an expensive part).
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #11

Wink same door latch problem fixed recently

I had the same door latch/window problem on my 02 S. My driver side door was behaving like yours and the passenger side didn't move at all. According to my dealership, I needed complete door latch assemblies(left and right).

Needless to say, I bought in since my extended warranty was covering it anyway. They part numbers that I saw on the work receipt was:

8N1-837-015-C Door Latch $146.36
3B1-837-016-P Door Latch $173.96

Labor was 4.3 hrs

I can't say why one side would be more expensive than the other. I was told that they replaced both door latch assemblies. I'm assuming the microswith comes as part of the complete door latch assembly. They could have just replaced the microswitches.

Either way, they work like they should now. I also noticed that now that when I lock the car with the key remote, the horn doesn't blow. I was told this was because the cars computer now doesn't think there is still an unlocked door. Before I got it fixed, I had to lower the window a bit before exiting the car and then raised it manually by turning the key to the right. That was a real pain in the butt.

I hoped this helped
blackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #12

Thanks 'blackbox'. I wonder if that could be it. I have had the horn blow a couple of times when the door appeared closed, although it hasn't done it lately. I have also had all the inside lights come on a couple of times when I've hit bumps or drove over rough patches of road. Certainly sounds like this could be causing the problem. I'm thinking of taking the car in to my local shop so they can diagnose. I am afraid of buying parts through a process of elimination method may wind up being more expensive. I do have a warranty that may cover part of the expense of the fix.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #13

Problem Solved

I have had the same prloblem and this is what I have done to fix the problem. I have a 2002 boxster S. The problem that you are having is the same as mine. If your alarm beeps two times when you lock the car then alarm has sensed a problem with one or more items that it needs to lock. First work you way around the car after locking the car. I started with the gas cap and right away I noticed that this wouldn't lock. With a little work I was able to fix this my make sure that the locknig mechanism was moving the rod when it locked. It was stuck and I just used plyers to unstick it and from then on it locked properly. I then locked the car and heard the beep again. Hmm... I then tried open the passenger door and it was locked. I checked all doors and hoods and everything was locked. However, I noticed that after locking the instruments were showing the red dot on the lock button. This now meant some sensor had gone bad. Now I knew that if the car beeped then a sensor must be bad. For the interior the sensors located in each door and in the latch of the convertable top. In the exterior the sensors are located in each of the hoods. I now unlocked my car and tried to open the door and couln't get the door to open. The window was not dropping; however all the parts were able to unlock. Now I knew that there was something wrong with the door sensor or the latch that is used to open the door. Now investigated on the web and discovered that both of these items I could not fix because they are only coded by the dealership. I took it to my local dealership and he informed that door latch and the sensor in it was not working properly and replaced it. This fixed my problem, but I was able save some money by fixing the gas cap before I went to the mechanic. I hope this helps you. The cost of this repair at my dealership was $500.
VIKTOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #14

Wink door/interior lights are a main symptom

Glad to be of help. When I had this problem, it drove me crazy. so I know how you feel.

You mentioned your interior lights coming on. This is another big symptom of the door latch mechanism going bad. Mine started coming on randomly and then they were on all the time. Even after I would lock my car with the remote, the lights at the bottom of the door would stay on for a long time. After the door latches were replaced, the lights now go out instantly.

I would try replacing the latch on the side that's giving you window problems. If that doesn't fix it, I would take it into the stealership. You mentioned that you still had warranty on your car. If you've got warranty, use it as much as you can.
blackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #15

I can't replace my own latch because that is also coded for my car. I am **************** out of luck with DIY. This problem is driving me crazy, so I am just parking the car till the part comes in. Also, I am not under warranty so I will have to pay out of pocket. Unlike new owners I know that to properly maintain a Porsche I have to spend a minimum $1,000 a year to keep it running in near perfect condition. Looks like this year is going to be different since I have spent so much already. I replace the cluch, the tires, structs, and the ventilated Disc since the beggining of the year. My next project for the summer was to modify the body to cars that I have seen Austria, but all that might be on hold now. Thanks for you reply.

VIKTOOR is offline   Reply With Quote