Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Finally Pictures of my NEW GT-3 front bumper!

So Sunday the weather was finally nice enough in Dallas for me to take some pictures. Had to buy a new camera battery, old one was dead. If anyone has any questions about the bumper please don't hesitate to ask. On a scale of 1 to 10 the quality is a perfect 10! Fitment is a 9. Difficulty of install was a ********************! I'd say a 5. It may have been easier if you install the bottom lip last. The lip actually adds more support and structure to the over all shape of the bumper, changing it's flexability. Enjoy!

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-25-2008 at 07:24 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Hate to say, but I actually prefer the look of your old bumper over this one. I'm not a fan of the area where there usually are turn signal lamps on the 997 GT3 bumper. Maybe if they filled in that area so that there is no creased outline? Regardless, still a great looking car....

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Do you have a straight on side view. It looks like it lengthens the front overhang by quite a bit.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
nice man, do you have any pics without that black piece on the bottom?
it looks weird, just added on there...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Hate to say, but I actually prefer the look of your old bumper over this one. I'm not a fan of the area where there usually are turn signal lamps on the 997 GT3 bumper. Maybe if they filled in that area so that there is no creased outline? Regardless, still a great looking car....
Well, I thought about that. And they actually make the same bumper the way you described it with a seamless front bumper and no covers. NR Automobile Accessories makes their's this way. It looks good too. But if you look at the shape where just below the fog light covers are you will see that the shape of the bumper curves outward. Now if you fill in those seems caused by the light covers, you are still left with the curve that sticks out and visually it makes people wonder why does it do that? With the light covers seen in the area above the curve it makes sense of that shape. With them deleted, it just creates a weird looking bulge that can't be explained unless the person looking at it knows what the 997, GT-3 bumper looks like originally. I can always add the fog lights later if I wanted to also. I prefer to have people guessing if there are lights underneath my covers. If you watch the Rolex GT Cup series on TV you will notice that they actually use these light covers on the fog lights also. So for me, that made the factor even more easier to keep the covers. Check out these pictures of the GT-3 cars on the track. All use the light covers.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-25-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
nice man, do you have any pics without that black piece on the bottom?
it looks weird, just added on there...
There is nothing weird about it. That's how all of the GT-3 bumpers look. Unless you paint it the same color of the car. Which then makes it look very different from the stock GT-3 look. But I have seen people do it that way. So no, sorry, no pictures without the front lip. That would look weird in my opinion. My old bumper had a black lip on it too. How is this any different? Anyway, here is a picture of the regular GT-3 with the lip.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-25-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Do you have a straight on side view. It looks like it lengthens the front overhang by quite a bit.
No I didn't take any straight on side views. Those shots look boring. I always try to take pictures where the car is "in your face." That may be why it looks like it is "overhanging" I like the artsy angles. Maybe my pictures are to large. Look at my new avatar. It looks normal there.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #8

I have one picture from yesterday that shows my car in between 2 other Boxsters. This was at our Dallas, Tx. meet and greet. It was very nice to see some new faces out there and some of the same old guys from our last meet. I enjoyed the car meet and had fun. Hope to see you guys again soon.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #9

Hey Eric, the new look looks great! What front lip is that? That doesn't appear to be the normal 997 GT3 lower lip, as seen in the flare on the sides ... At first, it looks like the CUP car lip, but there are the two front air vents in it...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Hey Eric, the new look looks great! What front lip is that? That doesn't appear to be the normal 997 GT3 lower lip, as seen in the flare on the sides ... At first, it looks like the CUP car lip, but there are the two front air vents in it...
WOW! You know you are right. I never even noticed the flare was only on the Cup GT version. I guess the after market is a hybrid of the two. It has the flares AND the air vents on the lip. I got my bumper from Precision Porsche. NR Auto has their version, but the lip may be different than mine. Go figure.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #11

Simply Amazing. It makes the pre 987 look brand new again. I really like it and will do it to mine in the next month. The more pictures you post the more you convince me. Although I was convinced with the bumper not even mounted on the car

Looks Great!

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
Simply Amazing. It makes the pre 987 look brand new again. I really like it and will do it to mine in the next month. The more pictures you post the more you convince me. Although I was convinced with the bumper not even mounted on the car

Looks Great!

Thanks! I think the best part is the fact that it's Urethane and not fiberglass like some of the others out there including my last GT-2 front end. Makes me feel better knowing it wont crack or fall apart.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #13

More pics from the other side.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-25-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks! I think the best part is the fact that it's Urethane and not fiberglass like some of the others out there including my last GT-2 front end. Makes me feel better knowing it wont crack or fall apart.
How do I make sure to get the Urethane? Buy from NR Auto? Precision did not have this Bumper..

Oh Me Want it now..... :troll:

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #15

You made the right move when you chose Black lip. It looks very good and it is easy to maintain. Could you post a link to the product you used to paint it?

Thanks

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
How do I make sure to get the Urethane? Buy from NR Auto? Precision did not have this Bumper..

Oh Me Want it now..... :troll:
Precision has it. They only seem to be selling them on ebay right now. It's not shown on their web site. They really need to update that site. It has not been changed in over 2 years. He even asked me to send him some pictures, so you may be seeing mine on his web site or on ebay soon. Call Precision and ask for Tony - Aka - Anthony. Tell him you saw the 997 GT-3 bumper on ebay starting the bid at $750.00 plus $90.00 for shipping. That's what I got mine for. NR Auto has the same bumper, only difference is they sealed up the fog light cover area. So if you order from them it will be more expensive ($1,295.00) and will look different. You will also need to buy 997 clear side markers. The 986 ones will not fit the new 997 GT-3 bumper. Got mine from my local dealership at a discounted price of $17.00 each. All of the GT-3 bumpers are Urethane except for the one sold from Fiberwerks ($1,275.00). His IS fiberglass. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
I wish they made the wings a little flatter to flow more smoothly from the fenders like the actual GT3 rather than bulge a little, but otherwise very sweet.

Your car is now Uber hot. One of my absolute favourite Boxsters!!
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
Are the bumper and the lip two separate pieces or is it attached as one when you buy it? I really like the look of it but i don't like how the lip bulges out towards the edges. I would totally buy this bumper if it's a 2 piece just in case I'd want to change the lip.

And does the bumper come to you already painted to the matching stock paint of your car? If it doesn't what paint would I have to use and how could i get it?

-- could you tell me where you got the PORSCHE sticker for your front window??
Thanks!

Last edited by PSL-Boxster; 02-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

sealed underneath?

I was wondering if this bumper is sealed underneath, so that air can only flow through the radiators, like the stock bumper?
If its not, have you had a chance to test it in hot weather to see if cooling is effected?

thanks
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #20

986-

I like this one better than the GT2 bumper. Definitely updates the 986 by a few years closer to the 997.

Maybe you could try putting some black adhesive tape in the area where the turn signals are in the 997 just to get a feel if it goes with the intake slots in the lower portion.

If it doesn't look good, you could just remove it.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers