Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #1

A Harley is more expensive to maintain than a new Porsche

In 2004 I bought a new Harley Heritage Softail and per factory recommendations I have had it serviced every 5000 miles. I have gone to three different dealers and each time I go in they hit me for $300+ for basically and oil change and a lot of inspections. I have not had the brakes replaced or anything major. So for the 20,000 miles of riding it has cost me about $1400 for servicing.

Six months ago I purchased a new 2007 Porsche Boxster. The first scheduled service on this car is at 20,000 miles, which I just hit. I took it in to the dealer and had the service done in an hour. The total bill was $246!!! And I always thought Porsche cars were outrageously expensive to maintain.

Now I am so upset with Harley and their dealers. I just looked at Harley stock and it is down to $39 from a high a few moths ago of $70. I understand why. If I did not love my Harley so much I would get rid of it.

kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #2

I've owned lots of Harleys (and other bikes over the years) and found that dealer servicing can be expensive. But just like Porsches, you can get them serviced at independent shops for a LOT less. I always run synthetic fluids to go twice as long between changes (only a little more expensive for the synthetic fluids) and don't bother with the inspections - I find it easier to hear things starting to go on a bike easier than on a car (i.e., brakes, loose clutch, etc.).
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

I do the fluids on my Sporty and the dealer charges about $100 for the rest.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #4

I think you posted this on the harley site too. If not, it's very similar to someone else's post today. Anyway for routine oil changes, a Harley is a very easy thing to do. You don't even have to climb underneath it. LOL That's part of the enjoyment of owning a harley. Everything is in the open. All I can say is wait until you have to have some work done on the Porsche. For example: wait until you need to replace your tires. heh heh heh

I enjoy fast cars. But nothing, gives me the rush that a bike does. You can build a complete bike from the ground up for say $16K or a real top shelf custom for $30K. If you do it yourself. try building a Porsche from the ground up.

My experience is that my Harley is significantly less costly to play with than my Porsche. Look at performance upgrades and their is no comparison. Give it time. You have a ways to go.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #5

You are right I did post it in the Harley site under my biler alias. I am Wofarted. And I agree. i like my Porsche very much but I love my Harley to death. Going out in teh porsche does not even come close to doing the sam ride on the Harley. It is just my preference. BUt my Porsche is stock and will always stay stock. I dont want any performance upgrades. My Harley got chromed ou and new pipes and that was expensive. I will try to change the oil but I do not want to tackle adjusting teh clutch or putting on new brakes.
kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #6

I paid $7300 OTD for my 2007 Sporty. Love it!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #7

Our local Harley dealer offers a sweet deal which I have taken advantage of with my last two bikes. They add up all the service for 30k miles ( bike goes in every 2,500 miles ), knock off 20%, and throw in a free rental when your bike is being worked on, so you are never without a ride or have to worry about getting someone to take you to drop the bike off. You pay for the service contract up front, and it includes priority service on your bike

This is a win / win for the dealer. It insures you will get your service done at their location, plus it is a great way to upsell the customer. I had a $14k Softail, and every time I dropped my bike off they gave me a touring bike. I liked it so much that after 3 years I got a $19k Road Glide.

Imagine if Porsche took this approach to service rentals ? Bring in a Boxster, dealer gives you a Boxster S, bring in a Cayman, dealer gives you a Cayman S, etc. Seems like a great sales tactic to me.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Our local Harley dealer offers a sweet deal which I have taken advantage of with my last two bikes. They add up all the service for 30k miles ( bike goes in every 2,500 miles ), knock off 20%, and throw in a free rental when your bike is being worked on, so you are never without a ride or have to worry about getting someone to take you to drop the bike off. You pay for the service contract up front, and it includes priority service on your bike

This is a win / win for the dealer. It insures you will get your service done at their location, plus it is a great way to upsell the customer. I had a $14k Softail, and every time I dropped my bike off they gave me a touring bike. I liked it so much that after 3 years I got a $19k Road Glide.

Imagine if Porsche took this approach to service rentals ? Bring in a Boxster, dealer gives you a Boxster S, bring in a Cayman, dealer gives you a Cayman S, etc. Seems like a great sales tactic to me.

Nick
That is a smart move on their part.