Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #1

Tiptronic question

I test drove an 04 Boxster S today. First Porsche I have ever been in.

I noticed that if I mashed the pedal to the floor it dropped maybe 2 gears. When I lifted my foot of the pedal, it seemed to stay in the lower gear for a while. So if I were in 4th, the trans would drop to 2nd, I could take my foot off the pedal for maybe 2 seconds or so, the RPMs stayed high, then I could stop on the gas again, and I was still in second gear. It was like the trans was holding second gear for me, while I took my foot off the pedal and reapplied it.

Is this normal? Every other auto I had (not performance cars) would upshift within like a second of taking my foot off the gas.

2 GTOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #2

Its all in the brain. Part of what makes for sporty driving is having the ability for the trans to stay in a "low gear" to provde better power delivery. White the Tip IS an automatic, it is a nice step up from the "regular" automatics that most makers put in their sporting cars.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote