Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
cartagena

Squeaky Brakes

Is it normal for the breaks to be squawking a lot when the car is first driven? I took it out of the garage a couple days ago where it had been sitting for a couple weeks. The breaks always grind and squeak a bit whenever I first head out. But now they gave off a high pitch screech for the whole length of the driveway. The car only has just over 5000 miles on it and is a 2006 so I cannot imagine the breaks are dead on it yet?!?!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Are your rotors covered with rust when you're on the driveway?

Are your calipers and pads covered with brake dust?

Do you have stock pads?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #3

Well, things usually squeak, squak and smash when I BREAK them.

Now, your BRAKES squeaking...

Normally after sitting for a little while, the rotor surface will get some light rust. Then when you drive, the brakes have to rub it off. This can cause a little bit of squeaking.

I notice my brakes squeak a bit though, even after 'warmed up' a little. Might be the particular pads I installed, even though they are one of the three OEM brands.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #4

I've noticed my brakes squeak when cold, but when they warm up, they don't. The "problem" is in street driving, the rotors cool off so fast with the little use they get, they squeal quite a bit upon initial application, then it goes away.

It's almost as if the pad compound is kinda hard, like it's meant more for "competition" use and loads, and it squeals on the street. A buddy's street-legal 993 club racer was that way, though I have no idea why the PO would install hard pads.
GroovieGhoulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #5

It's also a good idea to blast the disks with water every time you wash the car. This always seems to eliminate my brake noise.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #6

mine were squeakers too for the first 7K miles...I don't notice it as much anymore, I do get some grinding sounds...the squeaking was embarassing
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
cartagena

Glad to know I am not alone. They also grind sometimes when they get hot (after going up and down the mountains for an hour) and give off a bad smell.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It's also a good idea to blast the disks with water every time you wash the car. This always seems to eliminate my brake noise.
+1 on blasting the disks with water when you wash the car. I noticed that my when my brakes start squeaking ( I have been driving the car in traffic back and forth to work for the last month ) after a good wash the squeaking is gone

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #9

squeaky brakes

I just replaced my brake pads only on my 2001 S and did not redo the rotors. they were squeaking before the change and now they still are. I am not sure if the noise is from leftover dust or something but it is pissing me off. (should I have done the rotors too) maybe there is a cleaning fluid or something i should spray on them, water does help for a while. I also noticed that the brake wear light came back on after a few days of the pad change and then went back off after I shot the wheels with water at the next wash. As for doing the pads yourself, it is so easy. You can actually bleed the brake lines with the wheels on! These cars are so well designed.

8-Ball
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball
I just replaced my brake pads only on my 2001 S and did not redo the rotors. they were squeaking before the change and now they still are. I am not sure if the noise is from leftover dust or something but it is pissing me off. (should I have done the rotors too) maybe there is a cleaning fluid or something i should spray on them, water does help for a while. I also noticed that the brake wear light came back on after a few days of the pad change and then went back off after I shot the wheels with water at the next wash. As for doing the pads yourself, it is so easy. You can actually bleed the brake lines with the wheels on! These cars are so well designed.

8-Ball
Hi,

It's always a good idea to have the Rotors turned when you replace the pads. This roughs up the surface to allow the new pads to bed-in properly and avoid glazing and also corrects any run out on the Rotor.

At the least, it's a good idea to use some 40 grit sandpaper on a block to rough up the disc surface. And, if your pads don't have it, take a File and place a 45° Chamfer on the leading edge of the Pad to minimize squeaking. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #11

look in the middle of this thread, you might find your answer:
http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9343
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
Glad to know I am not alone. They also grind sometimes when they get hot (after going up and down the mountains for an hour) and give off a bad smell.
My brakes also have an issue after a windy drive in the mountains, but one of squeaks, not grinding. I also haven't been able to discern any smell, but will try to observe that this weekend.

Funnily enough, my brakes don't squeak at all during "normal" driving, or when cold or whatever. Only when they are getting repeated use do they pipe up a tad. Oh, and these are OEM brakes (bought from the dealer). The fronts (which are newer) do have significantly more brake-dust than the rears.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #13

Many factors can cause squeaky brakes:
- excessive dust build-up
- pads with more aggressive compound than stock
- improper bedding-in
- failure to install vibration dampeners aka anti-rattle shims aka anti-squeal liners

In the case of the OP, low miles, probably no brake work, I'd say a pressure wash and an "Italian Brake Job" should do the trick.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #14

Thanks for all the advice. After a few months, which for me is about 600 miles, the noise went away. I think in the future I will try a few of these ideas, probably the sanding the disks at least. I think there is a film left from the old pads on the disk when you put the new ones on. I take the car on the track once in a while and go through 1/3 of the pads in a day (and a whole tank of gas = 6 MPG) and sometimes it is so much easier to just replace the pad rather than do a whole brake job.

8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote