Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #21

> ... other than to say the M3 (e46) I drove felt much quicker (acceleration wise) especially in sport mode...

It feels quicker in sport mode but actually it isn't. Sport mode only changes the pedal to throttle mapping so when you give it 50% at the pedal side it opens the throttle say 70%. Pedal to the metal (100%) in both modes is 100% throttle opening and yield the same power/speed...

> ... The Boxster doesn't have alot of torque and the power is high in the RPM range so it doesn't 'feel' fast but it is

Yes a BoxsterS is fast and yes it needs some revs for maximum output. However it is a relative low tuned engine with 252bhp coming outof 3.2l capacity and is very driver friendly. It does not need to be pushed to the redline.

The BoxsterS engine is no match compared to an e46 M3 engine. M3 engine (S54) has more torgue down low, has a lot more power up high (252bhp compared to 343bhp) and has a higher redline (7200rpm vs 8000rpm). And they have the same capacity (3.2l) !

I must say the the boxer engine in the BoxsterS runs smoother though than the S54 inline 6 in the M3.

Mark.

markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #22

I think we're talking about E46s too much.

However:
CLK AMG - Will age poorly, softer than Porsche
G35 - Too common
350Z - Too cheap-ish, rather have the Infiniti version (see G35)
E46 M3 - Not a fan of the exhaust rasp -best overall of these options, but it's really time for you to step it up.

Just my opinions here.

I would file all of these vehicles as good cars (less for the Mercedes because I don't have much personal experience with them -they're more "class" than "performance" to me).

Let us know how your Porsche test drives go.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #23

> I think we're talking about E46s too much.

True. Common knowledge says e30 m3 is hardcore, e36 m3 is all marketing en e46 M3 is a true ///M again. I think it is bull****************. e30 M3 is a typical ///M too, being a very good compromis. It's the lightest though and if you buy lots of mods and throw $$$ into it it gets hardcore. e46/e36 are very similar in driving experience. There is not much between them. At least the e36 M3 EVO (3.2/321bhp) I drove.

> E46 M3 - Not a fan of the exhaust rasp

Well I am a big fan and it is so typical for the e46 M3/S54 engine. It's great stepping on the pedal @3000rpm with the windows open. Rasp all the way and an eager engine revving to 8000rpm :-)

No let's talk about Boxster's...

My BoxsterS has a PSE with open valves (no vacuum lines attached) and has a de-snorked air intake. Stepping on it driving topless is like XXX as well

Oh another difference between the cars: I think the BoxsterS is easier / cheaper on maintenance. ///M engine / drive-train parts are $$$ and ///M engine's have valve tappets with shims so they have to be check/adjusted regularly. BoxsterS has hydrolic tappets...

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #24

I think the performance aspects have been covered very well here...so let me add a few other comments

You say you are looking for a 3 season car? What is your backup/winter car? A boxster is fine as a DD, going to work, picking up groceries, etc. But if you ever need to go and buy something large/medium sized - even a very small folding table, some chairs, or anything of moderate packaged size, you might not fit it in your car. Be aware of the flexibility you will give up! Its probably not something anybody thinks about when making this kind of decision. They say, "oh I really 'need' that sportscar, i'll make due. . . . ."

Also, if you are not mobile, very fat, or have a bad back, getting in/out or sitting in the boxster for a 10 hour roadtrip can get uncomfortable. And don't forget to consider other things - a box's stock sound system is terrible (make sure you get one that is decent, or don't like music )
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk
> E46 M3 - Not a fan of the exhaust rasp

Well I am a big fan and it is so typical for the e46 M3/S54 engine. It's great stepping on the pedal @3000rpm with the windows open. Rasp all the way and an eager engine revving to 8000rpm :-)
The engine sounds awesome Mark. It's the rasp from the resonator that sound peculiar to me.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #26

I switched from an E36 M3 to a Boxster S.

The M3 is a better daily driver in that the visibility is better, there's more space, it's quieter and a bit more comfortable and it gets better gas mileage. The M3's engine sounds amazing, it's extremely flexible and very smooth when revved out.

The Boxster is a more focused vehicle. The M3's steering is slow and numb - the Boxster's is quick and full of feedback. The Boxster has better brakes. The Boxster's top goes down. It's a bit quicker than my lightly modified M3 in a straight line, but the Boxster destroys the M3 in the twisties. The M3 was sloppy, tall, tippy and overall very imprecise compared to the Boxster.

Having driven several E46 M3s, I never warmed up to them. Too heavy and too numb and I hate the sound of the exhaust (which, fortunately, can be fixed). They're not the light-feeling, nimble cars the E36s were.

I would love to pick up another E36 M3 as a daily driver. They're great cars.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #27

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like a really tough decision! (a fortunate one to make!) I wish I could keep both, but I have a winter vehicle already, plus my wife's SUV so really no room for 4 cars.

Seems like everyone feels roughly the same way regarding the boxster. Thanks for your time in giving me some real world input. I look forward to checking them out and finding the right one for me.

Which leads to my next question -

Are there any options you guys could not live without in the boxster? Also, anyone have a hardtop?

Thanks,
Vince
yjm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjm3

Which leads to my next question -

Are there any options you guys could not live without in the boxster? Also, anyone have a hardtop?

Thanks,
Vince

In your original post, you said you were considering an '02 thru '05 "S". There is difference between '02 vs. '03/'04. And a very big difference between the '02-'04 and the '05. Porsche changed the model designation in '05 to the "987" model. Prior to that, the Boxster was a "986" model. You can search this forum for the differences.

I consider Stability Control and Litronics (Xenon Headlights) to be the two must-have options.

The '03 model brought a glass rear window and an engine tweak. The glass rear window is certainly a nice-to-have and something you'll get if you buy on the newer side of your range.

But, if you can afford a 987 it is generally considered a step-up.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjm3
I would try to find a car with Litronics, but I don't think they're a necessity. I love my full-leather car. It takes the 986 interior from bland to quite nice, in my opinion. The windstop is a must.

I would have to say the only requirement I had when looking for a Boxster is that it be a manual. Having driven a tiptronic car, I really think it ruins the experience.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #30

I like Litronics too. Hopefully yours will come with the windscreen. 18 inch wheels are ideal for me, mostly for looks. The good thing about these options is that they can all be added later if you find a great deal on a car that doesn't have some of these items.

Also, I have a hardtop. Most people do fine without it I imagine. I keep mine on throughout most of the year. Summers are too hot, winters are too cold for me. Plus, ironically, I'm not a huge fan of convertibles. (Girls like it.)

Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #31

I dunno, one is a Roadster, the other a Sport Coupe'/Sedan, that's an extremely significant difference right there. As such, any similiarites, it would seem to me, are coincidental.

Both are great cars, but neither is a Giant Killer, in terms of American motorsport - off line acceleration, ¼ mile ETs, etc. If that's your thing, be prepared to swap Pinks with modded 5.0 Mustangs, 350Zs, and stock Vettes, and Vipers.

It may all boil down to practicalities. If you need a Coupe'/Sedan, go with the Beemer. If a Roadster fits your lifestyle, choose the Boxster. In the end, only you can say.

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-10-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I dunno, one is a Roadster, the other a Sport Coupe'/Sedan, that's an extremely significant difference right there. As such, any similiarites, it would seem to me, are coincidental.

Both are great cars, but neither is a Giant Killer, in terms of American motorsport - off line acceleration, ¼ mile ETs, etc. If that's your thing, be prepared to swap Pinks with modded 5.0 Mustangs, 350Zs, and stock Vettes, and Vipers.

It may all boil down to practicalities. If you need a Coupe'/Sedan, go with the Beemer. If a Roadster fits your lifestyle, choose the Boxster. In the end, only you can say.
sounds right...

(FYI..beemer refers to a motorcycle....bimmer is used when referring to a car....)
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #33

I recently traded in my 99Z3 2.8L for a 00 Boxter 2.7L. Totally different vehicles. The Z3 had crisper and more reponsive midrange power whereas the Boxter seems to suck in alot of air without much acceleration in comparison. The Boxter is more refined and a bit larger car which probably accounts for the sapping of some horsepower. The overall ride is similar but the Boxter has a much more luxurious feel and appearance plus shifts much easier than the Z. I'm still getting used to the transition but definately happy regarding the choice that was made so far.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote