Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #1

2008 Tail of Dragon trip

Just in case you don't frequent the Porsche Lounge section (I tend to read only the General Discussion and Performance Talk) the details for this years' Tail of the Dragon trip is in the following thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15159

If you have any questions do a quick search on the forum or even through Google to see what we are talking about. We had an absolute blast last year and it was a great opportunity not only to drive our cars as they were designed but also to meet other members of the forum. As of this post we have myself (and the Mrs.), NickCats (and I assume his Mrs.), Randall Neighbour, and derb. It sounds like Chills will be joining us and I anticipate bmussati will also join. Please feel free to invite whomever you would like as last year we had one of Randall's friends in his crazy psycho hopped up Toyota MR2 (no ugly a$$ wing).

Don't wait to book your hotel room (most of us are staying at the Two Wheel Inn) as depending on the weekend, the rooms go fast. The hotel (I guess its actually a motel) is very affordable ($60-$70/night) and the owners are extremely nice. Last year I put approximately 2000 miles on my car with about 500-600 of it during the two days we were down there. If you want to bring your significant other please consider bringing some dramamine (sp?) as the continuous back and forth curves can take its toll.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #2

Dates of the trip are September 13 and 14 in Robbinsville, NC. (just so everyone doesn't have to read through that whole thread.

Let's work hard to double the attendance at this year's event!

Get the word out on other boxster forums and boards as well. The more the merrier!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #3

How many rooms are available at the Two Wheel Inn ? Are the dates SOLID ? I would like to attend but dont want to show up and find out I'm there alone LOL..
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

you guys can count me in as well, I love roadtrips and it'll be fun to meet the rest of you guys...ill probably bring the fiancée as well, shes a huge car enthusiast too.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
How many rooms are available at the Two Wheel Inn ? Are the dates SOLID ? I would like to attend but dont want to show up and find out I'm there alone LOL..
There were 16 rooms at the time I called yesterday. Dates are solid now, hence the new official thread started by the Deputy Mayor, Sammy Moons over My Hammy.

-TOD Mayor McCheese
Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'll call the Inn today and book Friday and Saturday night.

Being a cheap-o I'd like to split the room with another 986er, doesn't have to be from Chicago.

Sammy, I'm planning on convoying down there with the rest of the Chi-town crew.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #7

Chills,

I think we are heading down Friday and coming back Monday.

You may want to book Sunday night if you want to caravan back with us.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Chills,

I think we are heading down Friday and coming back Monday.

You may want to book Sunday night if you want to caravan back with us.

Nick
Right now my plan is to head back on Sunday solo. That could change and I might stick around another day depending on how much fun you guys are to hang around. lol

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #9

I too will have to leave after lunch on Sunday. It's an 18 hour drive and I can't miss too much work the week before a big conference I'm attending in NW Chicago (South Barrington).
Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

Randall,

I work in Hoffman Estates, which is right next to South Barrington ( I would bet money your conference is at Willow Creek, which is right next to my office ).

Looks like I might be seeing a lot of you in September

Any chance you can break away from your conference while you are in town ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #11

Nick, I was planning on it. I need a good slice of pizza. Let's make that happen.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #12

Randall,

You got it !

http://www.loumalnatis.com/index.html

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #13

Slurp! :dance:
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
There were 16 rooms at the time I called yesterday. Dates are solid now, hence the new official thread started by the Deputy Mayor, Sammy Moons over My Hammy.

-TOD Mayor McCheese
Deputy Mayor... hmmm... I kind of like the sound of that. Maybe I'll go into politics???

Chills, the extra dough is definitely worth it! Most of the cost last year was in gas since the local restaurants are pretty inexpensive (I think the most we paid for two of us was $25-$30 for dinner).

gmboxster and xxxalexxx, it will be great to meet you and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Mmmm... Chicago pizza... Let me know where and what time and we'll meet up.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #15

Hey, I am new to the site as you can see. Long before I bought my Boxster last year, I have been wanting to take a trip to drive the TOD. TOD looks like a blast. I am new to the Chicago area also and have not found any interesting drives around here (no real twisties).

How was your trip last year? Any concerns? I know I am not a F1 driver material but I am competent and can drive my Boxster to at least 9/10th without killing myself or endangering others. However, on Youtube, there are idiots crossing over the double yellow on blind corners and 18 wheelers taking up most of the road. Any hasseling from the local cops?

Sorry, too many questions. I am not trying to start a new thread. If I can arrange my schedule, you might see me there.... carvaning with the Chicago crew sounds fun.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #16

Welcome to the board, hjkim.

Sammy, I don't want to commit totally to staying until Monday, but I'll go ahead and reserve my room for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I guess if I'm going to drive all the way out there I'll want to spend as much time on roads with corners as I can before I come back up to the land of the straight/narrow.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
FTD

Any females want to share a room please PM
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
Hey, I am new to the site as you can see. Long before I bought my Boxster last year, I have been wanting to take a trip to drive the TOD. TOD looks like a blast. I am new to the Chicago area also and have not found any interesting drives around here (no real twisties).

How was your trip last year? Any concerns? I know I am not a F1 driver material but I am competent and can drive my Boxster to at least 9/10th without killing myself or endangering others. However, on Youtube, there are idiots crossing over the double yellow on blind corners and 18 wheelers taking up most of the road. Any hasseling from the local cops?

Sorry, too many questions. I am not trying to start a new thread. If I can arrange my schedule, you might see me there.... carvaning with the Chicago crew sounds fun.
Last years trip was awesome! It's like autocrossing for 11 miles and then you drive the Cherahola Skyway which is like a high speed autocross with an awesome view. The only concern is you have to drive safe and smart. This is not where you want to slide your tires and end up somewhere you're not suppose to be. It is definitely riskier than driving your daily commute but we didn't have any trouble last year. I don't remember seeing any cops but that isn't a gurantee. If I have as much fun as I did last year I'm not going to lose sleep in the event I get a speeding ticket (granted you don't spend much time at high speeds (I think the fastest I might have registered was 75 at one point and then it was quick on the brakes). As Tom from last year said before we started into the Dragon stay in your lane and be respectful and smart. We did this and didn't have any trouble. Even with a kajillion Minis last year we were hardly ever held up and even when we were I still enjoyed myself!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #19

Well, that is a relief. I am very glad that I found this site. It has so much helpful information for the new Boxster owner.

I just need to convince my partners that this trip to TOD is vital to my health and well being. I really do not care about any law enforcement presence as long as we can eek out some private time and have a good run. Looking forward to TOD!!

Last edited by hjkim550; 02-09-2008 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo
hjkim550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #20

Well if anybody is up for another TOD trip, we (a few friends) put together a big shindig on the first weekend of Nov. We are planning year 3 right now. Last year we had about 30 cars show up and we had a blast. The event is open to all, as long as you can drive like a human. Our little group gets "congrads" every year for our behavor.
If anybody here looks at Pelicans OT forum we make our announcements there. If Ya'll would like when it gets around to time for deatail I would love to share with this group. We only had 2 Boxsters last year, we could use some more.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6625194319279002437
This is an in car cam of one of our runs, the wife was driving. (It's her car)
The roads all around the area are awsome and the best part is the lack of cell phone coverage.

Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote