Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

storing a boxster

So how do you guys store a boxster for the winter?
I know for most cars you will want to unplug the battery so it doesn't die when you try to start it next but how do you do it on a boxster where you can't see the battery? I heard there is a "power save" mode for the car that Porsche uses when it ships the car for delivery.
Any other suggestions for storing a boxster indoors?

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #2

I don't think you would want to disconnect the battery, as this will cause your alarm system and radio (at least) to forget their settings, including the security codes.
Porsche sells a trickle charger intended for keeping the battery up during extended storage. There are also similar after-market chargers available.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #3

Why are you going to not use the car in the winter? The car is great even in the winter. Days which the temps go over 40 to 50 I drive with the top down. I make it my business to make sure I enjoy every second of this car.
In Long Island it snows quite a bit but I guess not as much as in Indiana but the heavy accumulation of snow events you can actually count with your hands.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:20 AM   #4

I plan to store because its very hard to drive in a foot of snow in a car that is not AWD or 4WD. In Indiana, it either snows for a couple of days and its not too bad or it snow as much as you breath in air.
So there is a charger I can get from the dealer? Does anyone know what its called so that I can ask the dealer about it?

edit: oh and driving with the top down in a negative wind chill isn't all that fun
Old 10-05-2004, 12:02 PM   #5

It is called the "Porsche Battery Maintainer",
Pt. no. 000 043 202 56.
According to the description in the Boxster Tequipment catalog it provides "Simple and safe battery charging via the cigarette lighter socket recommended after the vehicle has been left standing for longer periods."
Looks like it consists of a dc converter, a lighter socket plug, plus an additional cable with battery clamps on it.
I don't actually know whether it requires the battery cables in the car to be disconnected while the battery is being "maintained", or whether you can keep everything connected. Hopefully the latter.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by tqtran
edit: oh and driving with the top down in a negative wind chill isn't all that fun
to each his/her own - I tend to top down motor year round

Don't try driving top down on days like these...

Unless you have one of these (blue electric blanket)

Or you won't be able to put your top up, to protect your interior when you have days like these
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #7

Before you trot off to the dealership to order or buy one of the battery maintainers, you should check ebay... I see them on there all the time. Do a search on "Porsche Boxster" and you'll get 15 pages of stuff for your car, including this item. You might save some money!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #8

What about the tires? I also am getting ready to put the car away for the winter. I have the battery maintainer and the car will stored in a heated garage with a car cover but can anyone tell me what i am missing?
Thanks,
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #9

Thanks, I'll have to check eBay.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Automon
What about the tires?
Some folks over inflate the tires to 36-40 lbs - If they don't leak, I'd just park at full normal pressure and check once every 60 days.

Some folks leave the front trunk unlatched - incase the battery maintainer gets unplugged or chewed by mice you can still get to the battery. Your car goes into "power save" mode after a few days - even with the trunk open.

Others leave the trunk closed to keep mice and spiders out. With a 2002 or greater, you have that pull out thing in the fuse box, so I would latch the front trunk. Either way, close your windows.

I wouldn't put moth balls inside the car, etc. This is only for a few months(a few months )

- - - Bottom line - - - -

If you can stand not driving her, just plug her into a trickle charger, close the windows and doors, throw a sheet over her, and walk away.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote