Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #1

Right Rear Wheel bearing

Seems to be humming - Only really noticeable at 50-60kph with the roof shut. Have had it checked by my regular garage (who confirmed it was a worn bearing) who says I need to goto a Porsche dealership to obtain pricing to be repaired.

Does anyone know rough costings in USD so I can convert it back to NZD?

Have just purchased this fine vehicle, will put pictures up next chance I have - previous owner will pay for repairs which is good

deeveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #2

My old 01S rt rear wheel bearing was replaced by the dealer for just over $400, but that was at a discount. The dealer originally thought it was covered under my CPO and when they found out it wasn't, they had to ask me to pay. They charged me warranty rates. Most will probably say $500-600.

Let me guess, you own a 2000, 2001, or 2002 S? They seem to have an abundance of rt rear wheel bearing failures.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #3

It's a 1998 Boxster 2.5 mate, I'd say they'd be rather similar, surely...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Jack up the wheel and see if you can wiggle the wheel any,if you can your bearing is probably done.

The part is only $50 online,find a good indy shop and you can have it done for $300 total. I paid $298,$50/part $250/labor,for the driver front wheel bearing.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Jack up the wheel and see if you can wiggle the wheel any,if you can your bearing is probably done.

The part is only $50 online,find a good indy shop and you can have it done for $300 total. I paid $298,$50/part $250/labor,for the driver front wheel bearing.
Hi there.

We jacked it up and it wasn't loose, but when you spin the wheel you can hear the grinding.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #6

You will not be able wiggle the wheel and feel any play. I know this because I had the same issue and tried that test as that was the way I use to test my VW's for the same issue. It work on the VW because their bearing is way smaller than the Boxster. The part itself can be purchase for about $50 dealer is about $75-90. The easiest way to check is on a safe parking lot drive the car about 25-30 mph and swerve left and right. you will notice the moaning of the bearing sound as you swerve. Usually if you swerve right and the noise gets louder then its the left wheel and vice versa.

The job is not hard to do, you will just need a tie rod separator to remove the hub. Once the hub is removed, you will need to take it to a machine shop to have them press out the old and press in the new bearing. I did not have the time to do it so I had a shop do it for me, he charged me about 500 bucks for the labor to do both sides. I had them do both as I did not want to take chance of the other bearing going bad and go through the hassle again. Keep in mind our average labor rates where I live is $125/hr. Good luck
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

I recently (3 weeks ago) had my passenger side rear bearing replaced. The price came to a little over $875 (not including tax). The bearing work itself was $675 for parts and labor. The dealership also suggested I get a wheel alignment which cost me $200. I got the work done at my local Porsche dealership which also provided me with a loaner.

Mine started off as a low whistling noise that was only noticeable at the 30-55mph range, I wasn't sure at that point if it was road noise or my new tires. After 3-4 days of driving the noise could also be heard when I was de-accelerating all the way up to when I stopped the car. I figured it was a bad bearing and took the car in.

alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote