Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Newly installed short shifter and knob

I recently installed a new short shifter (purchased off of flea bay based on an earlier post and recommendation.)

Topped it off with a new shift top. (Also purchased off of eBay.)

What a difference!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
how do you like the shifter? It looks like you got a newer design one where you can't flip the shaft,am I correct?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #3

Looks great!

If you paid less than $165 for your Porsche five speed shifter knob, you got a great deal.

A couple of years back I hunted for one on eBay and finally snagged one for $55... I've never seen another for that price.

That short shift kit and the new knob probably makes it feel like you're driving a different car
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
how do you like the shifter? It looks like you got a newer design one where you can't flip the shaft,am I correct?
That's absolutely reverseable. But he didn't do it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #5

Yes, The shaft is reversible right or left. I left it as sent which is leaning towards the driver. Should it be installed the opposite? Cost was $65 on eBay. Received the knob from son for xmas. I'm not sure what he paid for it, proprably $189.00 plus shipping. I really like the feel of the new shifter, it really does feel like a new car. It took just a little over an hour and half to install.

Last edited by kbrandsma; 02-05-2008 at 05:52 AM. Reason: update
kbrandsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrandsma
Yes, The shaft is reversible right or left. I left it as sent which is leaning towards the driver. Should it be installed the opposite? Cost was $65 on eBay. Received the knob from son for xmas. I'm not sure what he paid for it, proprably $189.00 plus shipping. I really like the feel of the new shifter, it really does feel like a new car. It took just a little over an hour and half to install.
If you flip the lever over, the shift knob stands straight up, like stock.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #7

The bend in the lever is supposed to be to the right, just like the oem lever. For some strange reason most of the clones have the lever installed so that the bend is to the left.

But you can fix that.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #8

I purchased one that looks the same from Maxspeed-Motorsports. I love mine too. His was less than $80.00 as well.
Chris
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #9

How much greater is the pressure required for shifting?

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #10

Not that much more pressure. It does seem to get easier as the operating temperature increases. The feel is hard to describe, I have heard the term notchy which seems to describe it pretty well.

This weekend I plan to reverse the angle so that it then is more straight up and down. Once you determine how to remove the center console, the process to do it again is a snap. The B&M short shifter pdf file is well written and easy to follow. If you plan to do this mod I would highly recommend this write up. Excellent photos too.

Last edited by kbrandsma; 02-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.
kbrandsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #11

I recently installed the same new design shifter...After reading numerous comments that its not reversible i just didn't believe it and got it anyway....sure enough it is reversible...Newer shifter does not have nuts on both sides of the shaft like the previous one, instead is has threads in the housing it self and one nut on the other side...so what you need to do it undo the nut so that the tread is showing of the bolt then grab the bolt just hard enough not to shave off the thread and twist it and it will unscrew...then the bolt just simply comes out, reverse the shaft, screw the bolt back in, screw the nut back on and you are done...
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
I recently installed the same new design shifter...After reading numerous comments that its not reversible i just didn't believe it and got it anyway....sure enough it is reversible...Newer shifter does not have nuts on both sides of the shaft like the previous one, instead is has threads in the housing it self and one nut on the other side...so what you need to do it undo the nut so that the tread is showing of the bolt then grab the bolt just hard enough not to shave off the thread and twist it and it will unscrew...then the bolt just simply comes out, reverse the shaft, screw the bolt back in, screw the nut back on and you are done...
Just to make it clear you bought your shifter recently from a2rinc correct?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #13

No, but the one i got is 100% identical to the ones he sells...there are numerous sellers that sell the same shoftshifter kit and they receive it from the same manufacturer......also let me correct my self then i sed there is nut only on one side i made a mistake if i remember correct there are nuts on both sides but if you unscrew then the bolt still does not come out, thats when you need to screw it out with pliers...and if i remember correct you need to unscrew it from the sides where on the bolt right next to a housing there in small part without treads. It unscrews quite easy without any stugle........i really need to start taking pictures on all the work i do
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #14

I got mine from:

turboracerx@adelphia.net

for $49 + $12 shipping

eBay site
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #15

Is this exactly the same as the B&M?
ktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktee
Is this exactly the same as the B&M?
yes its exactly the same as B&M once you turn the lever around.....the only difference is the price
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrandsma
I got mine from:

turboracerx@adelphia.net

for $49 + $12 shipping

eBay site
I got mine same place