Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Red face Question for Virginia Residents

I got pulled over the other day by a state trooper for not having a license plate on the front of my car. We know in VA it's a law to have plates on the front as well as the back. Boxsters don't have a way to put a plate on the front without some makeshift device (that would ruin the look of the car IMO). I was wondering how some of you guys put plates on the front of your cars. I would appreciate any suggestions that would tastefully solve this problem. Thanks in advance...

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

Garage
Suncoast has a front mount for less than $15 bucks

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

I have never run a front plate on my Box and have not been pulled over. My neighbor is a local county cop and said he would never pull anyone over for that and it is pretty much expected among his peers that nice sports cars won' t have them.

I guess you got pulled by state trooper having a bad day or looking for something else.

Were you speeding/driving erratically?

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Ok, here's the super-secret on-the-down-low way to get away with not having a front tag:
Go to a parts supplier, car dealer, or possibly the Porsche dealership. Make friends- this is very important. Once you're buddies with the folks, have them order a license plate bracket...but make sure the part is backordered. The goal is that you've ordered the part, but it hasn't come in (and never does!) Because you've made a good faith effort to get the part, you'll be able to beat a ticket in court. Hey, it's not your fault the part hasn't come in!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #5

My car came with a front license plate holder. I didn't have a front plate on my Miata, and the guards at the military installation where I work gave me a hard time about it. I figured they would enjoy hassling the guy in the Porsche even more, so I just put the darn thing on and live with.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
As much as I hate having a front plate on mine... I run one. Like everyone else I just use Porsche's bracket.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #7

I hate front plates but ...

I put them on my cars.

All of the above is true. However, if you get stopped for something else the Police Officer may hold the lack of a plate against you. The "cheapest" ticket is the fix it and there is no fine variety but they usually want to check that it is fixed -- I have heard the it is on backorder plan used but it usually does not work forever -- sometimes not at all. (Judges/Magistrates are not that stupid.) Finally if you get stopped again and it is not fixed ... stand by.

There are a few rural locals where giving out tickets creates revenue. So in a small town you may find you get both a fine and fix it ticket.

In rural SW Virginia, driving a Porsche (much less a Gurads Red one) gets more than enough attention by itself. So for me the decision is easy. May not like it but not ready to move yet.

ATB,
Tom

PS Boxster front plate mounting is terrible for a 986 and better but barely acceptable for a 987.
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

I recall reading that the EZpass services required the use of a front plate. Sine I use EZ pass, the factory plate holder was used. No, its not the most aesthetically pleasing design, but you can't see it when you are driving so who gives a crap?

Either that, or subject yourself to future problems.

In my 911, I installed a front center mounted front oil cooler. No place to *really* mount the plate. Just carried it in my doorpocket and when pulled over, would toss it up on the dash. Worked for me on that car.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #9

Unhappy

How is the porsche bracket afixed to the bumper ? Do I need to drill holes into the bumper ? Bummer.....
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #10

Sorry to say yes, you will have to drill holes in the front bumper. Porsche used to do it to most even before they shipped the cars but not any longer since they leave it up to the dealers.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Ok, here's the super-secret on-the-down-low way to get away with not having a front tag:
Go to a parts supplier, car dealer, or possibly the Porsche dealership. Make friends- this is very important. Once you're buddies with the folks, have them order a license plate bracket...but make sure the part is backordered. The goal is that you've ordered the part, but it hasn't come in (and never does!) Because you've made a good faith effort to get the part, you'll be able to beat a ticket in court. Hey, it's not your fault the part hasn't come in!

Interesting strategy but that won't work in all states. In CA, the parked car gets the ticket also. They want the dough, not the excuses.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote