Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid_J
I've been watching this for the last few days...hoping I'll know the line by the time I get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REu6SkTbx6E
2 laps and you will be good!
Have fun and be safe.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #22

how did u do?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #23

It was awesome!!

The first day was completely dry and I managed to pull a 1:40.444. I met some guys that run in the Spec Boxster class with POC so they gave me a few pointers.

The first two sessions of the second day were dry then the rain hit...and it hit hard. The third session it was bucketing down rain but the car handled well and we just had to adjust our braking points and driving style (ie. brake, then turn, then accelerate...no overlapping). I spun a couple of times but nothing too exciting. It continued to rain on and off for the day so you would sometimes get a dryish track for a bit...then puddles again.

The track was surprisingly good at getting rid of the water...the scariest standing water was on the front straight..each time I would hit a puddle the car would shimmy and I'd get some wheel spin...at 100mph that is a bit freaky.

The second day I also did a drivers ed with a porsche race driver from europe. He was really good and had some good tips for dry and wet driving. I was really stoked when he got in the car late on Sunday and after three laps told me he had nothing really to say...just to keep doing exactly what I am doing and just push a bit harder (he actually thought the organizers were playing a trick on him and sticking me in as a joke)...that was a real ego boost.

Thanks to everyone here for giving me more confidence to go up there. I am glad I have now driven in the rain....next time it won't even phase me.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Track rat

Garage
Glad to hear you had a good time. Willow Springs is like Disneyland for Porsche drivers. How did you like your new tires/suspension?

Last edited by Topless; 01-29-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #25

It really felt like a new car. The suspension was much tighter and was noticeable especially when going through turn 8 .. it was quite bumpy on the inside line but the car felt very stable and solid. It has been set-up as aggressive street...not quite at full track setup.

The R888's were quite good...I was able to outrun a stock 07 corvette that was running street tires...he actually came up to me later to ask what I was running because he couldn't believe that I smoked him in the boxster! The instructor also commented that they were really grippy tires.

I would like to have a run at SOWs to really see how much better it feels. I have never run Big Willow before so I can't do a true comparison.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #26
Track rat

Garage
I knew you would say that. I have ordered a lower stress bar for my car, next will be M030. With these mods I can still run street stock for a while. No Toyo's til I cord my PS2's.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Glad to hear you had a good time. Willow Springs is like Disneyland for Porsche drivers. How did you like your new tires/suspension?
I can't agree more!
Isn't Big willow is the home course for the porsche club?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im jealous, i want to goto Big Willow now!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #29

photos at the link below if your interested.

http://caliphotography.exposuremanager.com/g/willow_springs_raceway
Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #30

I'm not sure but I know that they race the spec boxster there. POC had an event at Streets of Willow on the weekend also...it was a GT3 convention. I went over and had a wander around the cars and there were 2 brand new turbos, one cab and one with carbon fibre wheels...unbelievable.

There was GT3 cup car up with us on Saturday and it was absolutely flying...I am not sure what times it was pulling but it always looked fast.....

The biggest difference I noted was how much easier it was on the car compared to streets. Streets is much more technical with harder braking, turning, downshifts etc...whereas Big Willow has bigger corners. straights and all I needed was 3rd and 4th.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #31
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2DTM
I can't agree more!
Isn't Big willow is the home course for the porsche club?
Yes. Between the PCA, POC, and Speedventures you could run there nearly every weekend on one track or another. Just remember June, July, Aug. and Sept. are way too hot and are car killer months.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid_J
photos at the link below if your interested.

http://caliphotography.exposuremanager.com/g/willow_springs_raceway
which boxster are you in the photos?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #33

This is me.

http://caliphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/11am/cp__970540
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #34

I ran in the blue group both days...there was cayman, a couple of boxsters and 911's and a RUF Supercharged Cayman....the driver wasn't pushing it hard though so I don't know how well it could do...I passed him a couple of times.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #35

I like the background says
"The fastet road in the West"
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #36

I watched both videos on youtube made by the instructor at Willow Springs for both the Big Willow Track and the Streets of Willow track and i have to say, While Big Willow seems nice, its got too many long wide turns (seems boring after about 6 laps), and Streets of Willow looks like it WOULD be a great track if it wasnt so GD'd f**ked up, i mean bump and cracks are all over that track.

Has anyone here tried the Buttonwillow race track up near Bakersfield?

I've been there and been only a co-pilot but never driven. Anyone here been to both Willow Springs and Buttonwillow and could offer a compairson and feelings about both tracks?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #37

Big Willow is a good fast track.....the big wide turns are taken quite fast and you have to get good at being able to brake / turn / accelerate through faster corners. Turn 2 is a bit boring since it is a bit of a "waiting" corner but otherwise it was still really good. Although it doesn't look technical there is definitely some skill it getting good speed through turns 4 and 5 so that you get a good fast run at 6, 7, 8 and 9 for a front straight top speed.

Streets of Willow is a great technical track...very tight...with a lot of hard acceleration and hard braking (especially in CCW direction). The esses are freaky in the CW direction! This track is much harder on all components of the car though.....you will go through tires / brake pads and other suspension / steering components much quicker with this track than any other. Colin video is a bit old and there have been quite a few improvements to the track since then. I don't remember it being that rough.

Buttonwillow (I did config #13, CW) was a lot of fun. It was a much faster track than streets (I hadn't done big willow yet) but still has a few technical sections especially with Magic Mountain (completely blind apex) and the sweeper and following turn. Again, there are some tricks to doing it fast and the obvious racing line is not necessarily the fastest.

The best thing about all three tracks is that there is plenty of run off and in the majority of cases you can come off without much damage (just lots and lots of dust).