Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Question Clear third brake light question.

I noticed that Eric at Bumper Plugs sells a clear or silver third brake light replacement. Have any of you installed one of these and what is your assesment? Any 'issues' in installation and how about clarity and intensity of the red light? If you have installed them on a Arctic Silver Boxster, could you post a photo and let me know if you have the smoke or silver one. I am getting itchy for another mod/hack and cannot yet paint my '03 vent covers until the weather heats up some. Thanks for any info. you can offer.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #2

I bought one from bumper plugs, the silver one. It has the LED lights in it. When you install it, you have to cut the original wires from the vehicle connection jack, and reverse them. This has to do with the polarity. Switch and tape them, and connect the male side from the new light. The LED's are bright. I should have gone with the smoked version. My car is black.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Yeah, I got the smoked third brake light. Super easy to install. Took me about ten minutes. Just have to reverse the polarity of the wires. No issues or problems yet.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Thanks...

...to both of you for replying. A shame you have to cut and change wires as you would think it would be made with the proper polarity. Do you think it is the way it is wired because of Europe and we are just an aftermarket? Sounds like a mod I will have to add to my list as I have changed the tailights, removed the Boxster script and painted the bumper blocks so the light will complete the smooth look.

AKL

PS Any buddy have a photo of their car with this mod in place?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #5

This buddy does...

Even got the color for ya. But get this, I'm not sure if I'm smoked or clear. I think it's smoked... it matches the side markers pretty well.

I thought I read somewhere that you MAY have to do the wire switch, as if some cars require it, some don't. Mine did. Even so, the install is easy as can be.

These pictures also show what a difference silver bulbs vs. amber bulbs make.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 01-16-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #6

Ahh thank you Jeph, that is what I was looking for. I have the silver bulb in my clear tailights as you do. Now you will have to paint those bumper blocks. I like the clean look with everything silver. I also covet your Carrera spoke wheels. I imagine the light comes with instructions to determine if the polarity is correct or not but I imagine I will have to cut the wires, something I am loath to do especially if I eventually sell the car and want to put it back to bone stock. Thanks again for your response.

AKL
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #7

Its mentioned in the directions that if when plugged in, the light doesnt work, you may have to cut the wires and switch sides. I plugged mine in, and it didnt work. I switched the wires, and it worked fine.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

i installed the clear 3bl from bumperplugs.
i did NOT cut any wires. have no idea why you would have to.
surprisingly bumperplugs was the cheapest place i could find this at.
looks great. lights look great.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
i did NOT cut any wires. have no idea why you would have to.
Simple. Because unlike incandescent bulbs, LEDs are polarized.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #10

Light on order

Ordered the third brake light in silver from Eric the 'Plug Meister' last night so I will post pics when I have installed it. Looking forward to a little "global warming" to get us out of the record cold weather in the NE. My garage is not heated so I will have to wait until it is warm enough for my fingers to function while changing out the light.

AKL :dance: