Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #21

Last year we picked a pretty busy weekend seeing that there were a kajillion Minis running around. Even so, I rarely felt like we were held up because of crowding. I'm more concerned about the idiots...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #22

Hey I'm from atlanta too, and have been craving a mountain drive ever since I got the car in october. I'd like to go sometime when the weather is nice enough to have the top down. Aren't there some good roads in north GA in the mountains for the atlanta people?
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #23
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMD
Hey I'm from atlanta too, and have been craving a mountain drive ever since I got the car in october. I'd like to go sometime when the weather is nice enough to have the top down. Aren't there some good roads in north GA in the mountains for the atlanta people?
Take 400 north to Dahlonega. Go through the square [stopping for a leg stretch and some ice cream] and turn left on Highway 9. At the three way, go straight towards Suches. This is a beautiful and fun road but know that it does have blind decreasing radius turns. Passing through Suches, turn right on 180. Near Vogel state park you will have some more scenic twisties and hairpins. Come to a T at highway 9 and turn right - heading back to Dahlonega. These wide switchbacks are a spirited way to wrap up a fun ride. Just beware - everyone now knows about this, too, so it will be crowded. Also has police and ambulances on standby because of the motorcyclists [primarily]. I live in Alpharetta and I can enjoy this quick jaunt in about a four hour turnaround, including pleasure stops along the way.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #24
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I am up for another road trip to NC or thereabouts in the first or second week in September.

Would anyone like to do the legwork on this year's trip? I did it last year and it wasn't much work, but between now and the time I would start driving that way I must complete a rather difficult book I am writing, so I don't think I'll be able to take the time to do it.
Let's do it! I'll see what I can find out. There's a place to stay that wasn't there last time I went so I will start with finding out about where to stay.

And regarding the slow speeds - I wouldn't want the embarrassment nor the cost of meeting up with a mountain wall or sliding off the edge - so I, too, drive for fun and not for skill development. There are other, safer places for that!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Let's do it! I'll see what I can find out. There's a place to stay that wasn't there last time I went so I will start with finding out about where to stay.
The Two Wheel Inn- http://www.twowheelinn.com/ was a great place that we stayed at last year. The owners (Barry and Linda) were very nice and keep a clean place. They live on-sight too.

Even a place to wash the car.

Last edited by bmussatti; 01-17-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #26
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The Two Wheel Inn- http://www.twowheelinn.com/ was a great place that we stayed at last year. The owners (Barry and Linda) were very nice and keep a clean place. They live on-sight too.

Even a place to wash the car.
thanks! I called them and so far September is wide open. I would also like to mention that peak Fall color will be in October if that is a goal.

So it seems we need to identify an agreeable weekend. What say ye? Of those interested, do you have dates that will NOT work?

We can work out other logistics along the way, but I think hotel resesrvations at the tail is the starting point.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'd like to get in on a ToD trip with you all.

So, a time that will not work for me is the first weekend in October (3,4,5). That's my 1 year anniversary and the wifey and Chills are headed to the Caribbean.

Any other weekend will probably work for me.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #28

Count me in !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #29

In...

better start making a list
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #30

Potential participants for the Fall '08 986Forum Tail of the Dragon Meet:
FTD
bmussatti
Sammy
derb
RandallNeighbour
NickCats
Chills
Mantis

Lodging options:
Two Wheel Inn- $60 single, $70 double. One night deposit. No cancellation fee if within 14 days.

Preferred weekend:

Other comments/ideas:

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #31
FTD

Pick a weekend in September and then we all make our own reservations - and show up.

How about the weekend of Sept 20 - 21?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #32

May I suggest Sept. 6-7 instead?

I just can't make it if its 20~28 due to a trip I must make to Chitown.

If no one has any strong objections, I would be happy to give the Two Wheel Inn a call and see about room rates for us. The owner really liked us and said he would have garages that would accommodate a Porsche quite easily by September of 2008 and the room rates are great!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #33
FTD

Go for it, Randall.
:dance:
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #34

I told my wife I'd take her to Europe for our 20th anniversary-I just hope she doesn't want to go at the beginning of September. I should be all turbocharged by then, too...count me in. I'm looking forward to doing it in the dry with the top down.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #35

Smile

I know I dont know any of you and you dont know me but I'd be interested in a trip to TOD. I live in South central VA. Probably about a 5 hr drive for me. Any weekend in Sept would be fine. However the first weekend is labor day weekend. Crowds, ouch.. Count me in if thats OK.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #36

gmboxster, we'd love to have you and make a new friend, that's for sure!

Labor Day is Monday the 1st of September and I'm proposing the following weekend, which should actually be a lot less traffic considering tons of people would be driving through there on the holiday weekend days before.

Or do I have my holiday wrong? Or is the holiday date right but my premise wrong?

I dunno. Let's get some additional feedback here from interested owners.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #37

Looks like gmboxster is almost a neighbor of mine. I'll check him out and make sure he's worthy
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #38

Randall,
Any chance the next weekend is good for you- weekend of the 13th?

mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #39

I should be good with either the first or second weekend after the labor day weekend.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #40
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Fontana Village Resort is the place we always stay. Probably will include the tail in the trip to and from the Parade.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

We stayed there on the way down to Rennsport III, the restaurant was a lot better than our previous stays.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/dining/dining.htm

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 01-18-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote