Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #1

Battery dead radio not working at all

Hello,

My battery went dead on my 99 Boxster as I went on a trip for 4 weeks, but I was able to "jump-start" the car with my Cayenne, I had to jump it twice in two days and after that the battery was recharged but the radio seems dead, it does not turn on at all nor it displays any lights or messages. Any ideas about this? By the way the fuses are fine...

Thank you for your help.

fcienfuegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
dsw

need a radio code

For the standard Porsche radio, if it loses power, you need to input the radio code for the radio to become active again. Its a 4 digit number that you should have gotten with the car information. If you don't have it, then a trip to the dealer should take care of it. The dealer that I went to took care of it at no cost.

This is suppose to be an anti-theft measure.
dsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #3

Clean the contacts for the face plate.

Pull the radio to check the fuse on the back of the radio.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #4

Yes, check the radio fuse. If you don't see the message to enter your code, you do not have power on your headunit. There is one more fuse at your fuses panel, you may want to check that first (it's a 7.5 one so it should blow first).
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

I just got back from 5 weeks in southern India and was disappointed to have the new (one month old before I left) battery go down to such an extent that I could not get the front of my 2000 Boxster to open to charge it.

I tried running power through the lighter to give enough juice to open the front, but it was no go. I finally fished out the cable release and got the hood open to jump start the car. I was sure suprised that only 5 weeks would be enough to draw down an almost new battery, next time its the trickle-charger....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote