Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #1

Cold weather start

Hey all, after temps near 10 degrees here in Michigan, we are expecting 50's Monday. My Boxster has been sitting for two months in the garage. My question to everyone is when I start it up, how long do I let it run? I guess I should probably move it to avoid flat spotting the tires as well. Thanks again for your replies.
Michigan Boxster

Michigan Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
bmussatti

Are you using a battery maintainer?

Why do you want to start it? For example, my car has been stored since late October. I will not run it until March/April, when I start driving it again.

Best to just leave the car in hibernation. IMHO.

If you are going to start it, put the car in 5th or 6th gear, and roll it about 1-2 car lengths to get the engine to turn-over and re-coat the cylinder wall with some fresh oil. This will help to protect the rings. Then start the car with the key and starter motor.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #3

Michigan Boxster... you read my mind. I'm in Northern Illinois and want to do the same thing this weekend. I don't think I will start mine unless I can drive it for 10-20 miles though. I've heard that unless you do that theres really no reason for starting it. So I have to see if the roads will be dry enough... I kind of doubt it though.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #4

Best thing is to take it for a 30 mile drive, weather permitting. Do this at least twice a month if possible.

Battery tender is a must.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice, and yes I do have a battery minder currently hooked up. However I would never drive my Boxster until the salt is washed away.
Michigan Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #6

Did you check the thermometer on Thursday morning? It was 1 F here (Canton) at 8 am...

A couple days before xmas the roads were clear, so I took the Boxster out for a half hour drive to Ann Arbor and back, the temps were in the 20s, but no salt so I had some fun (cold air = +HP). After things dry up next week we'll probably have clear roads for a few days, so I take it out again then.

I use my battery tenders on the cars that I don't start up at all for months at a time, but since I drive the Box usually at least once a month, I don't even bother. I will get the full charger out at the 3-week point and pump 6 amps or so through the battery for an hour or so, more to keep the electrolyte from stratifying than anything.

ERic
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #7

I am in jersey and this thread inspired me to start my car started kicking back the check engine light went on and started making alot of weird noises. I suggest start it frequently so this does not happen.
Porsche_farsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #8

I'm in Jersey too and I'll be starting and driving mine Monday. I am torn between letting it sit and driving it when the weather is ok. I was speaking to an Audi mechanic and he recommended driving it when you could. The evils of what salt you would pick up verses seals drying out point to a little salt. You can always hit the car with the hose before putting her back to bed.

Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote