Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #1

Sadly, my boxster is leaking oil...

I know, I know -- yet another RMS thread... But, this one is mine. So its different!

Here's some background & my questions:

I bought the car 4 months ago with 11K miles on it. It currently has 17K. I plan to keep this one for a while if conditions permit.

When I had the car inspected at 11K miles (PPI) the RMS was very dry. It still had cosmoline on it (from the factory). It has now developed to a full blown leak, with a small puddle of oil on my garage floor. If you go underneath and look up in the RMS area, it has the telltale "bluddy nose". I suspect that the car got so little use during its early life that it provided an opportunity for seals to dry out, etc.

So, what do I do?

OPTION 1 - Change the RMS & Intermediate Shaft Seal now. $1700 from my dealer. The dealer doesn't know which is leaking, but suggests doing both once its open.

OPTION 2 - Wait it out & change it at 40 or 50K miles. That should be in about 1.5 years and I can do the clutch at that point too.

I've heard people on this forum say to let it drip -- who cares. I'd like to understand if an oil leak can lead so something worse like an intermediate shaft failure. Does letting it leak increase my chances of this happening? PLEASE ASSUME that I will stay diligent on my oil changes and oil level. I'm asking if a leak in that area can lead to an "out of true" condition that will lead to the engine failure.

Last edited by fatmike; 01-02-2008 at 11:05 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Mike,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I thought you might take comfort in the fact that my car just began leaking also. I discovered it over the weekend. Mine is leaking from the front of the engine, not the rear. Don't know if that's better or worse.

Good luck pal.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #3

If it's only a few drops, I would just keep an eye on it. It may not get any worst. I went a whole year before replacing mine. But if it's allot more than that, then I would replace it soon. Good luck!
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

If you decide to have the RMS fixed, I would definitely suggest finding a good independent shop. That should save you quite a few $'s from what your dealership is quoting you.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

I saw a bottle of RMS Leak Sealer at Parts America Store. I don't know if it works but you may want to try it..it's like $10 or 15....let us know.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #6

By itself, a leaking main or intermediate shaft seal will not cause any failure of the engine... as long as the leak is caused by only the seals and it doesn't suddenly get worse while driving it. Keep an eye on it and keep it topped off with oil.

Having said that, I've never heard of one of those seals suddenly blowing out and dumping the oil quickly, and I've never heard of the bolts supporting the end of the IMS coming loose and leaking like a IMS seal or RMS. If one of those things happened, continuing to drive it could be bad. Also, if it started leaking badly enough I suppose the oil could foul your clutch, but you are (and should be) replacing it when you fix the leak anyway.

If it were me I'd probably drive it for a while, keep a close eye on it, and start shopping for a mechanic and parts. Oh, and buy a bag of Oil-Dri.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
I saw a bottle of RMS Leak Sealer at Parts America Store. I don't know if it works but you may want to try it..it's like $10 or 15....let us know.

Probably not for me...

I'm old fashioned & will probably go with the $3 bag of kitty litter for the garage floor if I don't replace the seal.

Last edited by fatmike; 01-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #8

If, as you describe, you have a "puddle" I would repair the RMS leak. If it is a couple drops every couple days, just monitor your oil level. I have had a RMS leak diagnosis from two years ago and the car does not lose enough oil between changes (7500 miles) to justify a trip to the garage. I have a '97 with about 24,000 on it and even the dealer says let it go. I have not ever had to add oil to the car to maintain a proper level between changes - but I do check the garage floor every day! Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #9

I feel your pain!

I bought my 2002S this summer ( June 07 ) and it never had a leak... I started reading the many 986 forums that stressed the RMS issue. This was quite alarming. I think I read too many because within 2 days mine started leaking also. I think I'll stop reading the forums and it should dry up. I'd let you know if this works but I'd have to get back on the forum...thus, well you know...

Last edited by noogoo2; 01-03-2008 at 04:06 PM.
noogoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogoo2
I bought my 2002S this summer ( June 07 ) and it never had a leak... I started reading the 986 forums and many stressed the RMS issue. This was quite alarming. I think I read too many because within 2 days mine started leaking also. I think I'll stop reading the forums and it should dry up. I'd let you know if this works but I'd have to get back on the forum...thus, well you know...

So, I guess if your reading this -- then your RMS must be leaking... Do you plan to fix it -- or let it drip for a bit?

I told my wife "I'm fixing it". Then :30 minutes later I announced that $1700 is a lot of money & she needs to pick up some kitty litter because I'm letting the darn thing leak. I'll sleep on it & tell my dealership what to do tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #11

Put some fresh cardboard or newspaper under it see exactly how much and where it is leaking from. Also-when I first got my Boxster I noticed a leak so I took it in. Of course they told me it was RMS and needed to be replaced. A few months later I had it at a different Porsche dealer and they sprayed some kind of white powder on the bottom of the engine and tranny. It turned out to be the rubber seal on the oil filter. My garage floor has been bone dry since they reseated the seal.

On the other hand I had a Jeep once that developed an oil leak. It would have cost about $1000.00 in todays money to fix because all the linkage would have to torn out to get to the gasket. I decided it woud be cheaper to put in a quart of oil every month than to have it fixed. My wife and I continued to drive it for an additional 6 years with no engine problems. Take your time and get another opinion.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Drive it. Wait until you need a new clutch or flywheel and swap it out then.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

I picked up the Boxster & I will drive it.

For now, my RMS fix consists of a bag of kitty litter for the garage floor...

I'll keep my eye on it and we'll see how it develops.

/
Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #14

If going the kitty litter route you might also consider UroTrash's RMS Repair guide

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71385
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #15

Where did UroTrash go? He was cool. His RMS repair guide was awesome.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Mike,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I thought you might take comfort in the fact that my car just began leaking also. I discovered it over the weekend. Mine is leaking from the front of the engine, not the rear. Don't know if that's better or worse.

Good luck pal.
Grizzly,

I have had a leak that's from the front (not RMS) for the last 6 months or so. It's the valve cover gasket, if I remember right. Not a big deal in any other car, but my mechanic says that it would be about $3k in labor to replace it because of the access issues. Worse, he's never done one before. Worst, it started leaking about 2 months after my warranty ran out. He advised to just let it leak (it's about a drop every few days).

So... my point is that for your car and any others, you should HOPE it's the RMS!!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #17

Timothy -- wow, I inadvertantly stole Urotrash's blueprint! Except I poured some kitty litter on top of it. I had a nice laugh on that thread. It pretty much sums up my state of mind right now...

Bummer on the front seal leak.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #18

Fatmike

I think I'll let it drip. The car runs great and I so love driving it. It might be a mistake, not spending the $1000 or so to fix it, but I just can't afford it right now.
noogoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
just keep an eye on it.

look around for adeal on a clutch or something in th mean time, so once you decide to go trough with it, hopefully a good bonus, then get it done and do the clutch as well.
good luck,

also, where are the pics of the car?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #20

DJ - my feeble photography skills don't allow me to turn a leaking RMS into art(but, I suspect you could find a way...). This is just the only picture that didn't come out blurry!