Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
For the most part I like the way the Zientop looks but the picture of it on the ZienVent page is disgusting looking.
I totally agree. That vent is pure poser cheesiness.

I really like the looks of that top but I am concerned that it may look like posing. IMO as a more attractive alternative to factory hardtop for winter use it gets a A+ in terms of looks.

As a "i can't afford a cayman but want to fool everyone for year round use" is where it would get a F.

As a "I just like to customize my boxster with whatever I think looks good and other's opinions be damned" it gets an A.

I am really glad we have this option, that's for sure. I would have more respect for this company if I never saw that cheese vent.

saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #22

See you at Starbucks

Hi PAt,
I'll see you at 10.oo at the startbucks. Can't wait to see your Porsche !

Bart from Troy Ohio !
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 AM   #23

Thanks to Bartman and Doug&Julie from pelican for coming out. Bartman has the black Boxster in the photos. Here are some photos from Doug's post on Pelican. I'll try to answer all the other questions as well when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Hey I have some pics too! It was great to see Pat and to meet Bartman. It was quite chilly so most of the conversation was held inside the Starbucks, but we managed to walk around the Boxsters and get a good look at the top. Overall I'm very impressed. It's not quite "Porsche perfect", but it's a high quality top that looks great and works well.

Here are some comparo photos. I only wish I had my brother's Cayman S there for further comparison!

Finally...nice butt...

Last edited by Pat S; 01-10-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Pat S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 AM   #24

More from Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Hey wait a minute! I can do a photo-comparo...

Damn, now I wish I'd taken better photos of Pat's Boxster...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #25

Absolutely beautiful !!!

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #26
1JB

Great looking top.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Wow that looks great. Now i know what it looks like on a Boxster with my body color. I'd have to say it looks better than the Gaurds Red boxster with the top.

Is it hard to install or remove? cause i cant imagine all the work that would go into it just to have to get the top in service mode to change the air filter.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Wow that looks great. Now i know what it looks like on a Boxster with my body color. I'd have to say it looks better than the Gaurds Red boxster with the top.

Is it hard to install or remove? cause i cant imagine all the work that would go into it just to have to get the top in service mode to change the air filter.
That's an excellent question. The air filter looks pretty well buried.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #29

one word, 3 letters!

WOW!

Very nice
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #30

One Question....

Is it very loud now in the cabin with this top? I mean it's gotta be ridiculously loud while driving now.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #31

Q&A

Q&A
How's the noise level?
- Good, it's slightly quieter than having the soft top up. The cabin and trunk area remain separate so you don't get any additional mechanical noise.

So, can you tell us more about how practical the top is? How is visibility compared to the softtop (which isn't great)?
- Visibility is AWESOME with the side windows. No more worrying about blind spots when changing lanes. The view out the back is clear and the window is much larger than the soft top. However it is also lower so taller drivers can't see as far behind them.

Does the slope of the rear windsheild shed water? Does the top need a power rear window wiper? Did it get all dirty (reduced visibility) driving in the snow & salt?
- No, infact the whole top stays pretty clean especially when the spoiler is up. On my drive back to VA it rained and was messy the entire way. I had to clean my windshield a ton of time but back window never got dirty.

How did the install go?
- Install took me about 2 hours the first time. The 2 panels come off easy. The top ships in two parts, the main shell and the hatch. You put them on separate the first time, but they can stay together from that point on. If I needed to swap back it should take under and hour in the future.

Any worries about potential damage to your paint?
- None, it never touches factory paint in any place that the factory items don't.

Rattles? A few slight ones over large bumps, mostly from the back hatch
Creaks? Only when it is cold
Windnoise? None

- That is easy. (1) Open the back hatch, (2)disconnect two wire harnesses for third brake light and defroster. (3) open two side spinlocks and center front latch. (4) with two folks, lift the top off and walk it back. That's it. you are now at the point you would be if you had the top down. Really only adds 15 minutes of work off and on.

Now for the bad.
- The top has a lot of adjustment built into it. Almost too much. Although I spent only 2 hours installing it the first time, I took me another 3 or 4 to adjust everything to get it exact. Now that it is adjusted, everything is locked in place and even if it is removed and replaced, none of the adjustment will need to be done again.
- There are shims that are used to adjust the hight on each side. I found the ones they included to still be too thin and this stressed the spinlocks too much. I actually broke one, and repaired it so I made a few extra shims for my own use and all is well now.
- I could not get the driver front edge on mine to line up perfect. I had a 1/16" gap that created some wind noise over 60mph. To fix this I added some additional weather stripping between the top and the windshield.
- I still get some leaking from the top edge of the hatch. It may just need to be adjusted better.
- When the top arrived the back glass was only partly adhered.

And for the really good.
- Kari, the US distributer is FANTASTIC.
- When I ordered the top he knew I needed it by winter. Production delays caused the ship date to slip so he had it air freighted from South Africa to me at no charge!
- When I called him about the window, he started to ship me an extra window so I could have the current one removed and re-glued in. He was sending the spare just in case the one broke. He also was covering the cost of having it fixed. The original one came loose enough that I pulled it off before the new one shipped so I didn't actually need it.
- He has walked me through adjustments to make sure the product is perfectly fit.
- He is also working with the factory to fix all the issues I had.

Overall it is a great product that is supported by a fantastic distributor here in the states. It is pricey, but you get a lot for the money. I really like it and it makes the boxster a true year round car in my opinion. I also like the convenience of the hatch and to be honest, I'll probably just leave it on all the time.

Pat
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #32

Thanks for taking the time to give us your candid feedback. Great review. This is the best thread on this subject to date.

Your car looks great.

I notice you added the "986" on the back in the newer pictures. I like that too...

\

Last edited by fatmike; 01-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Looks really good, actually! If it didn't require you to remove your stock hatch and parts of the convertible top mechanism it'd be very interesting. As it stands, this ends up being a "conversion" rather than a "hard top" and that doesn't really interest me.

Also, their "Zeinvent" product really cheapens their company. Talk about ugly and cheesy!

http://www.zeintec-usa.com/Zeinvent.htm

Well I just received zeintop annd zeinvent and let me tell you, the zeinvent may be controversial but I like very much how it looks !! it gives the car a more sport look, and the product is very well done, so I am happy with it !!!
aparmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #34

I'm getting ready to re-install my Zeintop for the winter, making a few adjustments or painting items that are hard to reach once it's installed. I bought the "986" numerals for it as well, mostly because of the photos on this thread, and plan to install them too. Thanks, Pat, for posting them.

I can confirm that once you have your adjustments right, the Zeintop is easily removeable [with one or two helpers]. The clamshell and trunklid are also very easy to remove and replace. The job is about 15 minutes plus whatever time it takes to put the unused parts into storage.

A few points that are omitted from most Zeintop discusssions:

(1) there is an adjustment screw [a big torx screw; I don't know the size] beside each spinlock on the car [the "female" part of the spinlock connectors], which appears to allow about 1/4" up-and-down adjustment for hardtops. I'm going to try these to help level up the front of the ZT with the car while it is mounted. This might be easier than dealing with shims, which require removing the top.

(2) you cannot access the top of the engine with the Zeintop fitted. In order to work on the engine, you must have helpers on hand, remove the top, and then have a place to set it down. Also probably you'll need a gargage to store the car and top [or at least use tarps] while you're doing engine work. Therefore, you must plan accordingly; I did all my maintenance items beforehand. One option is to remove the softtop [might help avoid damage to the plastic window from being folded up all winter], which allows engine access obstructed by the top's cross-member, but that leaves an unattractive and fragile cavity where the top would go.

There are other little issues with these tops, but don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it. To me, it doesn't look like a Cayman as much as an exotic, vintage Porsche, and looks even better in person than in photos. I'll skip the Zeinvents, because I like the stock 986 intakes better than the 987s.

Last edited by Gougoushu; 11-19-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #35

I am also going to pick up my Box with the Zeintop installed either tomorrow or wednesday and am really excited as I ordered it in late May! I'll post some pics when I get it.

Greg
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #36

Greg, please do -- it's always great to see some new ZT photos! Here are two of mine.

Last edited by Gougoushu; 11-09-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #37

Why the lengthy delay? Customs fees?

Greg,

You recently wrote that you: “ordered it in late May’. Was the several month lag time due to Zeintec? I ask because I’m also here in WA and if I order one I don’t care to install it just before our nice weather rolls around if they're not in the ballpark w/ their 4 week lead time estimate.

Also, were there customs and/or other types of import fees in addition to the taxes and shipping? I’m at about my threshold of (monetary) pain just w/ the purchase, painting and shipping costs and want to know what I’m looking at for a grand total before I decide whether to order one. (I’ve asked Zeintec that question, but they haven’t addressed it, nor have I received a call back from Kari.)

Thanks, Patrick
Soggy Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #38

I suggest having it air-shipped if the total cost of doing so is anywhere near $1000-1500. Even though I live right near the NY port, the handling costs were so huge that surface shipping cost about the same as air freight would have.
My costs were $1084 shipping, plus customs duty of $133.

Broken down as follows : vessel shipping:$342; then $742 of various crappe charges for getting it off the boat and to my shop only 30 miles away (just enjoy some of these fee names!): "import service charge" $55; messenger & courier service $45; "custom entry processing" $95 [broker]; customs bond [US customs]; "warehouse unloading fee" $270; delivery [trucker] $198; "field surcharge" $19.80; customs examination fees $19.47. None of this stuff was negotiable, and of course you don't want your precious top being kicked around by teamsters.

And of course with air freight there's not the protracted anxiety of 3 months of waiting for a $4000 item to arrive from Africa!

Last edited by Gougoushu; 12-02-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #39

I'd love to see that blue one fully tinted. you could tint that rear window seciton, then tint the side windows..... would look great.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #40

Gougoushu,

Thanks for detailed cost breakdown and advice below. Very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gougoushu
I suggest having it air-shipped if the total cost of doing so is anywhere near $1000-1500. Even though I live right near the NY port, the handling costs were so huge that surface shipping cost about the same as air freight would have.
My costs were $1084 shipping, plus customs duty of $133.

Broken down as follows : vessel shipping:$342; then $742 of various crappe charges for getting it off the boat and to my shop only 30 miles away (just enjoy some of these fee names!): "import service charge" $55; messenger & courier service $45; "custom entry processing" $95 [broker]; customs bond [US customs]; "warehouse unloading fee" $270; delivery [trucker] $198; "field surcharge" $19.80; customs examination fees $19.47. None of this stuff was negotiable, and of course you don't want your precious top being kicked around by teamsters.

And of course with air freight there's not the protracted anxiety of 3 months of waiting for a $4000 item to arrive from Africa!

Soggy Top is offline   Reply With Quote