Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

carbon fiber hardtop?

I decided against the Zeintop due to the cost. If it wasn't a 1/4 of the cost of the car, I'd consider but, it's just too expensive.

I'm now looking for a raw carbon fiber hard top. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I found a place and emailed them, they said they were out of them and didn't know if they'd be making anymore. It was called GTmotorsports or something like that. Is that the only place that ever made them?

My chances of finding a speed yellow top are slim to none and I don't want to pay to have it painted. Carbon fiber hard top would look pretty trick in my opinion.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are currently only three hardtop for our car. The Porsche factory top which is a 55lb. aluminum top, Zientop which weights about the same (as the factory top) once you remove the trunk and clamshell, and Stuggart top, with I think is also aluminum.

The company you referred too, just sold the shells in Carbon Fiber for a very short while so finding one will be pretty hard. To be honest, the 55lb. factory hardtop is pretty light, and don't think the carbon fiber will make it to much lighter, or much of a difference. Also, since it will be painted you won't know it's carbon fiber so looks don't really have much to do with it.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #3

They sold them as a finished project so you could just mount it. I was planning on just leaving it without paint.

I guess I'll just leave the soft top. I'm not a big fan of the Porsche hard top but, if I could find one in raw carbon fiber, I could live with it.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wasn't aware that they sold the top completed. If you want the carbon fiber look, most people who bought them probably painted them. Maybe you could have a factory top coated of something to make it look like carbon fiber.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

I would love a carbon fiber hardtop for my car. I would leave it naked. So yes I would either be naked or topless.

Seriosly, the only type of hardtop I would buy for my car would be a carbon fiber one.

I have spoken to the guys at gtmotorsports. (i have a few parts from them on my car) If enough of us want one I will see if he will do a custom run for us.

To me though price would matter, does anyone know what his price was??

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think they were like 2K, I know they sold just the shell for $800.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #7

Whats the difference in the shell and the finished product?? All I would need is the shell with latches and rear window.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
To the best of my knowledge the shell is just the aluminum frame. You would still need the rear window (about $400), headliner, latches, seals (at least $200), and you have to fit it all together. And there are probably a few other parts.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #9

Last time I talked to them, they told me they currently do not carry them in fiberglass or make them in carbon fiber anymore. The completed one with glass was $1049.00. And $800.00 for a fiberglass one with out glass. Carbon fiber was an option with an additional cost. Cost was not stated. See this link. http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Series&page=Hardtop
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #10

I just spoke to Larry at GTMotorsports. He is going to talk to the designer/manufacturer and see if they can make more.

lets keep our fingers crossed, I for one would love a carbon fiber hardtop on my Black Boxster. I think it would look pretty sharp for the few months out of the year I would use it.