Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #1

hopefuly a boxster owner

admin please delete

Last edited by ahmed18881; 01-01-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: too much friendliness
ahmed18881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #2

Please post your questions again. I'm sure people were busy with New Years and didn't see your original post.

I recall one of your questions concerned the rear window being yellow. From 97 to I think 2002, Porsche put plastic windows in the rear (2003 and newer come with glass windows). The plastic windows have a tendency to turn yellow with age and sunlight. I believe the only thing you can do is replace the entire top (and upgrade to a glass window), or have an upholstrey shop sew a new window in your existing top.

I don't remember what your other questions were but I recall didn't think I had answers for them. We have plenty of people who should have the answers on the forum. Please give us another try. We would like to have you as a member.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

thankyou

thanks very much for your post, well i didn't give up on the forum yet :P its the best boxster resource i have found on the net yet... but i am really having cold feet from the RMS / IMS or IRS forgot what it is but its that thing that blows the engine apart... heres my original post

Greetings from Beirut lebanon,

i would like to thank all the guys/gals on this forum for really assisting me on this forum to find a perfect boxster, after reading on the RMS,ignition key, water pump and other problems i had a better idea of what to look for and what to ask... i looked over at many US-specd boxsters and a couple of euro imports and one at the dealer. my decision went to the one i saw at the dealership and waiting to see if my financials are ok or not. (here a 1997 boxster costs 27,000 usd)

the car is a 1997 arctic silver with black interior and hardtop. the car is fully serviced at the dealership and has 57,000 Kms and had a major service at 56,000 kms 4 new control arms and water pump,air filter,plugs, oil ...etc the previous owner is 55 years old and this was his sunday car...

there are some issues which are bugging me and no one really helped me

1- when i fired the car up there was a slight ticking sound that eventually went when the car warmed up plus it was dripping a bit of water from the exhaust, i let my friend rev the car while i stood in the back it spat an amount water with black dust... tried it a couple of times again nothing went out , the dealer said that this is because it hasn't been driven for over 1 month....so what you think?? i checked if the water radiator cover had some mayonnaise like residue it didn't... even the sales man laughed at me when i asked because he claims this is a good thing...

2-the front lights are very yellow even which make the car look really old any solution for this or simply change them?

3-the plastic part in the car cover is very yellow too, and really looks it needs attention how can i make it clear again??

thanx all and i hope i could be a boxster owner... i am very excited!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

The ticking sound, at start up, if sublte, is not uncommon on these cars. IF really loud then be worried. Usually just valvetrain looking for some oil that has drained away while the car was not being used.

You might try some solvents, but yellowing, im my experience, usualy can't be corrected. Sounds like replacements might be in order. You might want to upgrade to Litronics if feasible.

"the plasic part in the car cover" ? Do you mean the rear window? again, if not cracked or torn you might live with it. I know some people have buffed out scratches, but not sure I've seen a reversing of yellowing. Replacement might be in your future too.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
blkboxster

why do you want them to delete the thread?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #6

1 - I don't know.

2 - Sounds like your referring to the "amber" which is a bright yellow light. The newer cars don't have amber and they have "clear" lenses instead. Do a search for "de-amber", or "amberdectemy". Litronics are a type of headlight that put our more power and they tend to be "clear".

3 - The yellowing is very common. There are a lot of products that will help -- such as Novus plastic cleaner. Its $20 in the US.

Good luck with your decision. Whether you get this car, or another -- the Boxster is a great car.

/
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #7

I have a new Boxster and mine ticks on startup as well. The ticking goes away as soon as the car reaches operating temperature. Everyone who has looked at the car tells me it's normal..... hopefully they're right
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #8

hi

i am going 2day to finalize the deal and have a thorough test drive , and i am taking an independent Porsche mechanic with me, i hope everything goes well, keeping my fingers crossed ... i am really looking forward for owing a Porsche... its like a dream coming true... i come back from a benz car background (81 230E,97 C230 ,98 clk 320, and 00 e320 4matic)
Old 01-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #9

i just came back from the dealership, i test drove the car... it runs GREAT but i feel it needs a bit of more power on the acceleration but other than that its perfect.... well after really having fun test driving it... i jacked it up in the service center and found out it needs an RMS... so the dealer offered to clean it up saying that this is probably an old thing... i told him to quote me how much it costs and i ll probably remove it from the price he is saying about? what do u guys think ? would you buy a box with rms?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #10

What do you mean exactly by clean up the RMS? You want a full RMS replacement, not just wiping it down with a wet rag. My 03 daily driver had a small leak when I bought it, had the RMS changed under warranty, and it's been perfect ever since. Like you said, make sure to account for this repair cost in the final purchase price.

A '97 with 57000km (35000 miles) is pretty low annual milage. Any Boxster can develop an RMS leak but it seems low milage examples have it more than others.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed18881
i just came back from the dealership, i test drove the car... it runs GREAT but i feel it needs a bit of more power on the acceleration but other than that its perfect....
For more power, you'll probably have to bump up to a model year 2000. You'll have your choice of 2 bigger engines. The 2.7 or the 3.2 liters.

However, it's a finesse car -not about drag races. Throw some turns in its path and you won't think about a lack of power at all.

Good-bye Mercedes. Hello Porsche!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #12

Ahmed18881,

Be careful of the seductive powers of the Boxster. You don't have to marry the first girl you meet. I'm seeing some red flags / contradictions you need to think about.

What did your mechanic think of this Box? Other than the RMS issue, was he happy with it?

You also mentioned in your original post you were concerned about buying a Boxster because of the RMS and IMS issues that are discussed frequently on the forum. Now you're willing to buy one with this as a know "problem" and not have it fixed. I agree with Timothy's post, if the dealer is going to actually fix it (not clean it) as part of the purchase price, then I would take them up on it. Then you shouldn't have worry about RMS issues in the future.

Also, there's the horse power issue you mention. If you feel it's a little short on HP, maybe a newer model would take care of this. If you think it's short by quite a lot, then the Boxster is probably not the car for you. You'll find lots of thread here about guys wanting to tweak more HP out their engines. There are ways to do it but all of them get expensive. Might as well spend that money on a newer model with more HP already baked in, especially since you haven't purchased anything yet.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy this car, but you need to be sure it is the right one. Don't know how many Boxsters are in your neck of the woods, so maybe there aren't a lot to choose from. Just be sure you're happy with what you purchase and it meets your requirements.

Best of luck.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Ahmed18881,

Be careful of the seductive powers of the Boxster. You don't have to marry the first girl you meet. I'm seeing some red flags / contradictions you need to think about.

What did your mechanic think of this Box? Other than the RMS issue, was he happy with it?

You also mentioned in your original post you were concerned about buying a Boxster because of the RMS and IMS issues that are discussed frequently on the forum. Now you're willing to buy one with this as a know "problem" and not have it fixed. I agree with Timothy's post, if the dealer is going to actually fix it (not clean it) as part of the purchase price, then I would take them up on it. Then you shouldn't have worry about RMS issues in the future.

Also, there's the horse power issue you mention. If you feel it's a little short on HP, maybe a newer model would take care of this. If you think it's short by quite a lot, then the Boxster is probably not the car for you. You'll find lots of thread here about guys wanting to tweak more HP out their engines. There are ways to do it but all of them get expensive. Might as well spend that money on a newer model with more HP already baked in, especially since you haven't purchased anything yet.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy this car, but you need to be sure it is the right one. Don't know how many Boxsters are in your neck of the woods, so maybe there aren't a lot to choose from. Just be sure you're happy with what you purchase and it meets your requirements.

Best of luck.
well its probably my fault i didn't express my self correctly, i meant by clean it up ie fix it and if they refused to fix it i want to remove the price of fixing it from their price and do the work in an independent shop. i will not drive the car if it had this problem its just too scary for me. i was talking to mechanic and he told me that when i know that i have fixed the rms leak i will be sure 99% it wont come back but if i buy a car with no leak it might leak... actually it is not dripping on the floor but there is oil stains from the engine/tranny(where the 2 things meet up) and it seems to be old because there is alot of dirt in the oil stains. the cars shifts are very crisp and there is no "weird" changes in drive mode. well i really don't drag race, but i like to have a peppy car and it satisfied me esp in manual mode.

there car is immaculate in/out just a couple of dings in the rear fender drives side and a scratch on the drives door.

i have looked at other boxsters and there is a 2000 model i want to see in a week, but tell u the truth i fell in love with this one...

i am a very hesitant purchaser and make the life of the sales people horrible not to mention my gf/parents/friends... i really don't want to go head over heel,

thanx for all