Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

B&M install issues

OK, so I am trying to put in a B&M short throw shifter and have run into some difficulties. Namely the instructions that came with the kit are crap – very poor quality printing so that it is difficult to see the pictures. Additionally, the pictures (specifically labeled 987) do not appear to look like my car.

It is pretty odd. Part 45135 very clearly says that it works with the 987 both on the box and on their web page, however, as you start clicking through the information, it stops referring to the 987 on subsequent pages, and the downloadable PDF does not include any instructions for the 987 at all. I am pretty sure I have the right kit, I think that their site just may not be up-to-date.

Can anyone point me to a good DIY guide here? Any insight?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

Doc, I installed a Schnell, and the instructions were worse. I ended up using both the Schnell instructions and the B&M instructions together to get it figured out. I just tried to find the instructions I used, but I can't seem to find them anymore. I did run across this document, which, hopefully is different than what you have. I'll keep digging for my source.

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here's a how to on 987 model center console remove/replacement. Hope this helps.

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=13&limit=views

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Here's a how to on 987 model center console remove/replacement. Hope this helps.

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=13&limit=views
Thank you - this is exactly what I needed. It looks like my car, and looks nothing like what was in the B&M instructions that came with the shifter.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Thank you - this is exactly what I needed. It looks like my car, and looks nothing like what was in the B&M instructions that came with the shifter.
Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out, and if you like the B&M. I've been contemplating one myself, but when I tried it out on a friend's car, I found it a bit too notchy. Found the factory 987/997 short shifter to be much more smooth/buttery, yet still short in throw.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out, and if you like the B&M. I've been contemplating one myself, but when I tried it out on a friend's car, I found it a bit too notchy. Found the factory 987/997 short shifter to be much more smooth/buttery, yet still short in throw.
np - you are probably close enough to give it a whirl once I get it done- I will let you know. I put a B&M on 2 Mustangs and loved it- if this provides roughly the same experience, I think this will be a very good thing.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Found the factory 987/997 short shifter to be much more smooth/buttery, yet still short in throw.
People are starting to install the 9x7 shifter assemblies into 9x6 cars. Straight swap from what Jeff @ Sunset told me.

I'm gonna try it out in a month or two.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
People are starting to install the 9x7 shifter assemblies into 9x6 cars. Straight swap from what Jeff @ Sunset told me.

I'm gonna try it out in a month or two.
Yeah, I know. No cutting required either...just unbolt your entire old shift assembly box, and bolt in the new one. I saw a guy do it at a recent tech gathering, and the guy loves it. It is smooth action, and no notchiness.