Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
gcb

Need opinions about painted Carrera S wheels

Hi all,
I have on order an '08 Boxster S in Meteor Gray with Black full leather interior. Also ordered 19" Carrera S wheels. I'm debating if I want to do matching color wheels? Anyone out there done this? or have/or seen any pictures with this color combo? Even a website that shows one??? I have seen the porsche site, but its a little too computer animated to get a good look at the real outcome.

whats your thoughts on this?

thank you!

gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #2

I had mine powder coated Seal Gray to match my 01 color of my car. I love them. Looks great! Back in 04 the anniversary edition Boxster 550 Sypder version came with the Gray 5 spoke Carrera Wheels. Here is the 04 with Grey wheels from Porsche. Looks good to me.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 12-28-2007 at 07:05 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #3

Congrats! Looks awesome! Post pics when you get your ride! :dance:
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
gcb

looks great!! did you have the whole wheel powder coated? how much did that cost? the pics at the website at the bottom of your post are a different wheel/car correct?? Hard to see. The website brings up two cars ...one w/ black wheels and one with cool grey ones... is that your car too?

do you have any other pics of your car and wheels?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #5

GCB-

I really like the deviated color black wheels from porsche as they leave a little silver unpainted area around the edge. I have seen several cars come in like this at my local dealer on Boxsters/Caymans/and 997's and they all look great to me esp. in the silver colors like meteor.

you can photoshop the pic below to get an idea of what your's would look like.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb
looks great!! did you have the whole wheel powder coated? how much did that cost? the pics at the website at the bottom of your post are a different wheel/car correct?? Hard to see. The website brings up two cars ...one w/ black wheels and one with cool grey ones... is that your car too?

do you have any other pics of your car and wheels?
Yes, I had the centers only powder coated and left the rim lip stainless steel. The car pictures at the very bottom are mine. The other large pictures are the wheels the Porsche sold when you bought the Anniversary 550 Spyder Edition, not my car but that's what gave me the idea. That web address at the bottom of my signature is for Car Domain and has my car with the black wheels that I first had before I bought the 5 start spokes and had them powder coated. It cost me $380 for all 4 wheels. I got a good deal because I knew the guy doing it. Prices vary depending on the shop.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
gcb

thank you again for the reply... really looks great! congrats on a beautiful car.

as far as the powder coat color... did they just try to match the color best they could?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb
thank you again for the reply... really looks great! congrats on a beautiful car.

as far as the powder coat color... did they just try to match the color best they could?
Yes. Once the tire is wrapped around the outside of the rim it's kind of hard to tell anyway no matter how close you are. All that black rubber between the rim and car color helps break it up. The color they showed me was on a metal swatch and it looked dead on to me.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #9

wheels that match your paint color are very cool. go for it!

03 911 C4S | Softronic ECU tune
texwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
With your car's color and wheels, I think the non-red calipers really compliment the look of your car.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
With your car's color and wheels, I think the non-red calipers really compliment the look of your car.
i agree, red would not match.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #12

I had an '01 Acura CL Type S, Black on Black with dark tinted windows and I even went to the extreme pain of blacking out the side window trim with black-out tape (made 'em look just like Boxster's window trim). I put seven spoke Motegi wheels in anthracite (sp?) It was an absolute head turner everywhere I went.
So.......now I have a black '06 Boxster S with a black top and Sand Beige interior.
It has the standard 18" S wheels, which, by the way, are the lightest wheels Porsche makes. You true road racing types will understand with me why you want the lightest possible unsprung weight. I'm looking to have the wheels powder coated in the anthracite gray that was on the Motegis and tinting the Boxster windows.
By the way, I love the seal gray wheels above and especially the 550 special edition gray wheels.

Last edited by Quickurt; 12-28-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typical torrific spilleng!!
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #13

I like the Rennworx/Dymag carbon fiber-magnesium wheels. Only 14 lb a piece...and you can get them color matched! Okay, 9 large for a set is a wee bit pricey, but hey, we all know how much reducing rotating mass affects performance!

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote