Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Thumbs down Faulty gas cap generating CEL not covered under CPO warranty?

WTF

I called my Porsche dealer and told them every time I fill up my car I get a CEL and then it goes away after I re-tighten the gas cap.

They tell me gas cap problems are not covered under the CPO warranty. :ah:

On top of this 2 weeks ago I was told my CDR-220 radio is also not covered under CPO warranty.

Sounds like the CPO warranty is a ripoff?

?

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah i know what u mean, i think its 0446 or something like that code that shows up.
happens to me few miles after a fillup as well.
i do have a sticker stating that the cap was replaced under recall...but still there.
i bet its not expensive to replace, im just too lazy to get one hehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Well emission control stuff probably isnt covered which would include the gas cap.

Its not all bad, the cap is cheap, like 23 bucks on average at the dealer. Just tell them your a PCA member and say you lost your card.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Well emission control stuff probably isnt covered which would include the gas cap.

Its not all bad, the cap is cheap, like 23 bucks on average at the dealer. Just tell them your a PCA member and say you lost your card.
man i got totally screwed by PCA...never got my card, never got any magazines, or anything...been almost a year now...
and i wasnt even happy w the pca events to be honest..i always enjoyed smaller organizations.

but yeah, i do gotta go get the cap, it gets really annoying

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Don't sweat it. The fuel cap is only $14.25 at Pelican Parts. Part #14 in the diagram below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/201-00-Frame3.htm

Also, you can find used CDR220 radios on ebay for $150-200.

Oh, and no- CPO is not a rip off. Just wait if you get a catastrophic engine failure or other major issue, and you will see just how valuable CPO can be.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 12-27-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #6

It is my (false?) recollection that in the states, Emissions related equipment is covered for 6-7 years or 100,000 miles. Might want to read the owners manual as it may shed light on this. Not sure about Canada, eh?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
man i got totally screwed by PCA...never got my card, never got any magazines, or anything...been almost a year now...
and i wasnt even happy w the pca events to be honest..i always enjoyed smaller organizations.

but yeah, i do gotta go get the cap, it gets really annoying

Yeah, you should call them, they should straighten it out, Took like a month in a half to get my card and a panorama magazine from them.

I dont goto any of there events though, i want to but them whenever i get this little paper magazine showing me pictures of the members that attended lasts months events.. i can tell i wouldnt fit in, they mostly look like a sweater knitting club or stamp collectors. Im to worried they will see me as a young ruckus causing wipper snapper.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I dont goto any of there events though, i want to but them whenever i get this little paper magazine showing me pictures of the members that attended lasts months events.. i can tell i wouldnt fit in, they mostly look like a sweater knitting club or stamp collectors. Im to worried they will see me as a young ruckus causing wipper snapper.
LOL. That is pretty true. I do attend various PCA events, but you're right- a lot of them look like they're from local "nerd alert" club (like the way the folks look in the movie, Dodgeball), but they're all actually nice folks just sharing a common passion for these cars.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #9

I've been very happy as a PCA member (18 years and counting, but then again, I'm only 36). With 3-4 large (ie 1000-2000 member regions) between DC and Boston, there are TONS of events to go to! My local region puts on 6-8 autocross events and 5-6 Track events between April and November. Add in Chesapeake region - thats another 6-8 AX events, then consider between NNJR, CVR, Metro NY, Potomac and NER it seems there are 4-5 DE events each month all summer too.

Now, I will say my age is still at the lower end of the demographic, but that's good too, cause it infuses new ideas into otherwise old clubs. The passion for Porsches are there.. and lots of the old timers have great stories to share.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 12-27-2007 at 01:12 PM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #10

I think its different out here on the westcoast compaired to your demographic in the east, about 98% of the people in the photos of last months local events looks 50+ and theres nothing wrong with that except I know, and they know we wouldnt have much to talk about once we are done talking cars and would have to move on to the next person and start up all the same convo again.

they look more like this....

And its not an exageration, the pictures look really similar to this one i found ^^^

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #11

that picture made me laough really loud man...wow

ooo and i signed up for 1 year, so no use for the magazine or a card anyways...and i will not ever sign up for it again so its ok.
plus, i got absolutely no use out of it, although i did go to the dealer to get one part and my friend was like hes a pca member, guy was like ok, that was all, didnt ask for card or anything so i will not get one.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #12

I don't know how you relate the gas cap to a check engine light.

Anyway, the was a recall for the cap. 1998 to I think 2001 or 2002. At least in the US. A recall sticker was then placed near the emission sticker under the rear trunk lid. No clue if Canadian cars were also subject to the recall.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #13

I'm having a problem starting the car after I fill it with gas. It is harder to start when the car is fully warmed up. I had the vent tube replaced a year ago and that solved the problem for a while. Now the problem has returned, and I'm wondering if the problem is related to the gas cap. I don't have a CEL, and I had the car scanned about a month ago and there were no codes stored.

Is there any way to know for sure whether the gas cap on my car should have been recalled? I have a 2000 that was built on 9/11/99. The previous owner gave me his service records which appear to be fairly complete, and there is no mention of a gas cap replacement.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I don't know how you relate the gas cap to a check engine light.

Anyway, the was a recall for the cap. 1998 to I think 2001 or 2002. At least in the US. A recall sticker was then placed near the emission sticker under the rear trunk lid. No clue if Canadian cars were also subject to the recall.
Well if the gas cap is loose the CEL will come on.

I guess I will replace the gas cap.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #15

Look for the recall sticker and see if you have the new style gas cap.

2000 was subject to the recall. In fact, this picture is a 2000.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #16

I don't have the sticker: so in theory I could go to my Porsche dealer and tell them to change my gas cap as part of the recall?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
WTF

I called my Porsche dealer and told them every time I fill up my car I get a CEL and then it goes away after I re-tighten the gas cap.

They tell me gas cap problems are not covered under the CPO warranty. :ah:

On top of this 2 weeks ago I was told my CDR-220 radio is also not covered under CPO warranty.

Sounds like the CPO warranty is a ripoff?

?
K
in the us..ALL EMMISSIONS RELATED COMPONENTS ARE WARRANTEED TO 8 years 80k miles
i saw that in the cpo too..but i know i have the standard warranty for bad cats and stuff...that would include a gas cap
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
I find your comments interesting. I'm a 15 year Chicago PCA member and have found the membership to be very friendly and informative. I got hooked on the track events and have been an instructor for the last seven years (great way to experience alot of different cars). You have to get involved with the club if you expect any thing out of it. I always volunteer at tech and judge at the concours events; no better way to learn than to get involved.

jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote