Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

Griots Garage Ultimate Wash Bucket - worth it?

Does anyone have the Griots Garage ultimate wash bucket? http://griotsgarage.com/product/67260.do

In the past I've been a 'wash the brake dust off the wheels and go' kind of guy. With the box, I'm trying to get into proper car detailing. The grate in the bottom to catch dirt particles seems to make sense, but does it really work? Is it worth the $40, or should I stick with the old sheetrock mud bucket I have been using to wash cars since the mid 90's?

HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerESQ
Does anyone have the Griots Garage ultimate wash bucket? http://griotsgarage.com/product/67260.do

In the past I've been a 'wash the brake dust off the wheels and go' kind of guy. With the box, I'm trying to get into proper car detailing. The grate in the bottom to catch dirt particles seems to make sense, but does it really work? Is it worth the $40, or should I stick with the old sheetrock mud bucket I have been using to wash cars since the mid 90's?
I like the Griot's bucket because it has wheels. You can move it around the car with one foot. Yes, the grit guard really works to keep grit out of your wash mit, but you can also buy grit guards for your 5 gallon spackle bucket for around $7.00. You could buy rollers for it too, but by the time you were done hot-rodding your old bucket, you could've just bought the one from Griot's.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
where can i get that grit guard from?
i really need one
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #4

Use Two Buckets

If you're concerned about grit do what I do, use two buckets. One with the wash solution and the other to rinse out your mitt. I don't think enough of the finer grit would settle out while dunking your mitt into the same water you're using to wash your car.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
where can i get that grit guard from?
i really need one
You can get them everywhere, DJ. Try autogeek.com. I'm sure they have them.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
bmussatti

I use 3 buckets of water, when the car is very dirty.

1) First bucket is only for washing the wheels
2) Second bucket is for washing the lower portions of the car (usually the dirtiest areas). No higher than 1/2 way up the doors and both bumpers.
3) Third bucket is for the hood, trunk lid, glass and the sides

Separate wash mitts for all 3. If the car is not too dirty, I just use 2 buckets.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #7

Makes sense for the three buckets but my wife already thinks I'm nuts for using two. She'd probably start the paper work on me if I pulled out a third bucket.

I'd get one of the buckets with the rollers but my driveway is on an incline so that's out of the question. It would make moving the rig a lot easier.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #8

well if the car is not TOO dirty, my method is one bucket with grit guard using Optimum No Rinse. Just a quick wipe down with a natural sea sponge or grout sponges... you don't need to go the full on sudsy car wash every time. Actually for a daily driven car too much washing is bad for the clear coat. I would not to wash more than once or twice a month and just use the No Rinse for weekly wipe downs. I do the paint first and with the left over water I use a Meguiar's Gold Class wheel face brush to clean the wheels.
I use the big Home Depot paint buckets that hold like Five gallons with 2 or 3 ounces of No Rinse mixed in. I finish off with a spray of FK 425 to ward off soot.

advice: spend your money on high quality towels, keep a rubbermaid container full with 20-40 waffle weave towels in different colors for different sections of the car. One for paint, one for interior cleanining and glass, one for leather, one for wheels. Try Chemicalguys.com or http://986forum.com/forums/Poorboysworld.com you can get good towels for $4 per towel, I try not to spend more than that... not necessary.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-27-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote