Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #1

Lug Key Broken??

I don't know how somebody does this, but I broke the security key thing for my lugs. How do you get a new one? Is there anything specific about this or can I just find one on ebay or something like that?

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #2

This is what the key looks like...

Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
contact McGard.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #4

I did a member search for mcgard, but didn't find anything. Who is this?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #5

Is there another socket that might be able to be used??

Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
I did a member search for mcgard, but didn't find anything. Who is this?
http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/
Give them a call. They can find out which of the 30 something wheels locks you have and send you another one.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #7

go to your dealer service dept, have them match the key, theyn take that number to parts and get one...they are cheap and readily available. all dealers have sets of keys to all the factory locks sent to them in their yearly service contract. they never use customer keys to take wheels off....
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
when my key broke like that, i went to the dealer and they told me that they are discontinued, well at least the one that i had.
they were like buy a whole new set. im like well its no good to me since i cant even take these off.
i went to a friends shop and they got them off for me.
then i bought some GT2 lugs off ebay for 20 bux with the new key, no problems after than.

but if you go to the dealer, and if they have the key, they wont charge you anything to get it off.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #9

One "key" to your question that you need to understand is that there is not just one style of key for Porsche OEM lugs. Like Blinkwatt mentioned there may be 30 some different designs. I know my car came with two different keys, not sure why. It drove me crazy trying to get the wrong key of the two to work until I realized they were actually different!

I recently switched to non-keyed chrome lugs for some new wheels I got. You might want to consider that if you garage your car and don't live in an area where you would worry about your wheels being stolen. You could then go to the Porsche dealer and have them break loose the keyed lug and then you could simply replace it in their parking lot with a new keyed or non-keyed lug that you've purchased. That may be one way to avoid being "raped".
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #10

I know this sounds niave, but, do people still steal wheels? I haven't seen a car left on blocks in decades. Unless you routinely travel or park in some some questionable areas, why even have wheel locks? btw, I removed mine and replaced with conventional, non-locking bolts. Much easier.

In addition, the dealer must maintain them to ensure they can service cars. I would ask to figure out which one fits and if it makes it easier, have "them" replace it with a non-locking bolt.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #11

As others have said you can try taking your broken key to the dealer and see if they can match it up w/ a replacement. Mine came with in a small ziplock bag with a 2 or 3 number code on it that I assume is the key "code" for ordering a replacement. you may check to see if you have that number somewhere.
Aron in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
I know this sounds niave, but, do people still steal wheels? I haven't seen a car left on blocks in decades. Unless you routinely travel or park in some some questionable areas, why even have wheel locks? btw, I removed mine and replaced with conventional, non-locking bolts. Much easier.

In addition, the dealer must maintain them to ensure they can service cars. I would ask to figure out which one fits and if it makes it easier, have "them" replace it with a non-locking bolt.
LOL I agree...I was thinking the exact same thing. So, I took the car to the dealership and they took the locking lug bolts out and I put regular ones in their place. Won't have to worry about breaking one of these again. Plus the car sits in a garage most of the time anyway.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
better safe than sorry.
but yeah, there are still shady people out there
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wouldn't get rid of the wheel locks. I have seen a few cars on blocks, and if you park outside overnight on a trip and someone spots your $1k Porsche rims, they might be tempted.
Better safe than sorry, but if it is a weekend only car then you can probably risk it.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #15

There are 30 different key types - Aron is correct, if you can find the small plastic bag your socket key came in it will have a label with "Porsche" followed by a 2-digit number (01 through 30) to identify which one it is.

If you can find the key number call McGard direct at 1-800-669-8788 to order a new one which will be faster and cheaper than the dealer can unless they have it in stock.

If you don't know which number your key is then you will have to see what the dealer can do to help. Usually they have to bring out all 30 (if they have a full set) and start trying them until they find the one that fits or remove the keyed lugs "the hard way" which means drilling and destroying them in the process.

Unfortunately it doesn't take a lot of force to over-torque and crack one of the socket keys. I split one in half recently and had to replace it but was lucky enough to have the bag with the number on it.

TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote