Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #1

Recommended Buyers Guide?

Hello all,

I have made the decision to shop for my dream car.
However I could use some help on what to look for.
I would like to get a 2003-2005 Boxster S.
The questions I have is... is there a better value year that I should look for?
Would it be better to get lower milege and older, or aim for newer?
I like the look of the changes to the 2005, but the price is getting up there.
Any thoughts on places to look? I'd love to be able to find a leaser that would be willing to sell instead of lease-return.

Also... any guide on things to look for to ensure the car is in good shape/condition?

Thanks in advance!

CRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are a few threads on this if you search, but it is up to you what you want. Depending on your price range, you can get an earlier '97-'00 with really low miles for about the same as an '03-'04 with high miles. So it depends which way you want to go.
To check the car's condition, make sure you get a good PPI.
What's your price range?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
There are a few threads on this if you search, but it is up to you what you want. Depending on your price range, you can get an earlier '97-'00 with really low miles for about the same as an '03-'04 with high miles. So it depends which way you want to go.
To check the car's condition, make sure you get a good PPI.
What's your price range?
My range would be around $30k.
But obviously the lower the better for what I get.
Is there a recommended year for the 'S'? One that had less known problems or when a new desired option came on board?

Any recommendations on places to look for one? I've been checking Autotrader.com, cars.com and carmax.com. Any thoughts?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It depends on the milage, the S was introduced in 2000. So you might be able to find a '00 S with low miles for about $25k. An '05 S for 30k even with high miles would be hard to find. Personally, I would go with low miles over the year. It depends on what you find. I would look on craigslist, within however far you are willing to drive to get the car.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Read through this:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

CRS1- I was in exactly the same predicament a few weeks ago and ended up buying an 01 S with 33k miles and many options (hardtop, litronics, 18's, sport design) for $25k. I spent about $200 putting in clear tail lights and side indicators so I figure I saved $5k... at least that how I explained it to my fiance. I almost bought an 03 S down in Florida (I live in Portland, OR) but the PPI wasn't great. To me at least, the differences between the model years seemed pretty minor. Just make sure to get the PPI!

I found that Autotrader.com was the best source. There were also quite a few cars on kbb.com.

Happy hunting!
Wildcat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #7

[QUOTE=CRS1]
Is there a recommended year for the 'S'? One that had less known problems or when a new desired option came on board?
QUOTE]

I'd look at the 03 or 04. They added the glass rear window in 03 which is nice to have. They also tweaked the looks a little that year.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

[QUOTE=baseball]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS1
QUOTE]

I'd look at the 03 or 04. They added the glass rear window in 03 which is nice to have. They also tweaked the looks a little that year.
They also added about 100-200 pounds. It depends on what you want out of the car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #9

Is there a year that is more 'stable' then others?

To add more insight... the car will be used more as a second vehicle (weekend car).
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
They also added about 100-200 pounds. It depends on what you want out of the car.
According to the data I have, the weight only went up 56 lbs. from 2002 to 2003. But Horsepower and Torque also went up in 2003 - so it's probably a wash. To each their own.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #11

A little more advice

Carefully make a list of must have options, nice to have options, unacceptable colors...

Then start to scan the adds, I would go for an 03 or an 04 with that kind of money, you should be able to find a nice one.

One last word of advice drive an 05 non-S, performance is a good as the early S versions and you may prefer the look and feel.

January in the rain is a good time to by a Boxster.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #12

Significant changes to the styling happened in 2005, so you really need to take a hard look at the 2005 versus earlier models. This will probably push your price range but definitely take the time to look at both.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #13

I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this (ie I'm sure you've seen it, but if not...) Take a look at what looks to be a good deal (though maybe a few more miles than you were wanting) available through 986forum:

Must sell 2002 Boxster S

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote